“A major destination for art and home furnishings in Addis!”
Review of St. George Gallery

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
St. George Gallery
Ranked #7 of 13 Shopping in Addis Ababa
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A major destination for art and home furnishings in Addis!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite place in all of Ethiopia to visit to purchase crafts and textiles from while enjoying the amazing collection of art produced by some of Ethiopias most established artist. I found myself returning to the gallery several times during my stay in Ethiopia as I fell in love with the wide array of scarves and goat skin paintings that the gallery sells (I purchased a scarf with every visit as a matter of fact as they featured new designs constantly). The artwork, crafts and textiles are all original and fair trade works. The furniture is acceptional and uniquely designed inhouse and as I discovered is available in the sister gallery in Alexandria, Virginia! The warm and friendly staff made the experience a delight! I look forward to returning to the gallery on my next trip to Addis. I strongly encourage anyone visiting Addis to make this a must see destination!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jemal C

Normal, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful art gallery!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This gallery is special. It has beautiful paintings, both classical Ethiopian style and modern, as well as textiles, framed crosses, items from the tribes... Definitely worth visiting. You might want to visit both before the rest of your trip and after to compare what you find on the trip. We didn't find most of the things anywhere else in Ethiopia.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank worldapart
Chapel Hill, NC
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lovely place with indifferent service”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I realize I am the outlier here, but I was very disappointed in this gallery. All the reviews I read were great and I was impressed to hear that President Bill Clinton had visited the gallery. The art is certainly exceptional and nicely displayed. The prices are expensive, but I don't mind paying 30% more for guidance and being able to select a really nice piece of art from an expert. Unfortunately, the ladies working there were absolutely not interested in giving any information about the artists or any opinion about the art. Most answers were one or two words. When I asked to see a biography on a particular artist, they seemed puzzled and went fumbling through books trying to find some basic information. There was a painting that I was seriously considering buying by a truly great Ethiopian artist. The price was almost 3000.00. I simply could not get any help and I was the only customer. After two separate visits to the gallery, I finally decided to wait until I found something elsewhere. There are better choices in Addis.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank UNCBronze
Minneapolis, Minnesota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“First place to look for art in Addis”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very nice little art gallery in a tidy compound tucked behind the Sheraton hotel. High quality artwork, textiles, and home furnishings. Instead of overwhelming with a high volume of art pieces, display a small number of items from a select group of artists. I disagree somewhat with earlier reviews regarding the high price of items, I found many of the pieces to be incredibly well-priced. Given the wide-availability of some of the textiles, you could argue that they are overpriced, but this in exchange for a hassle free environment of hand-picked quality. The hanged art and home furnishing, on the other hand, were quite a good deal in my book, much cheaper than you would pay for artwork of similar high-quality in other places in the world. Friendly service that accepted credit card and safely packed up my purchases for travel home.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Joshua R
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“An Arts Gem”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Gallery has chosen and distinctive art pieces from Ethiopian prominent artists such as Zerihun Yetmgeta and (the late) Afewerk Tekle with African and Christian themes. Beautiful cotton and silk scarves and beddings as well as heavy silver jewelry and framed crosses. The Gallery accepts credit cards and will safely and professionally pack and deliver your purchase to your hotel. The Gallery is located close to the Sheraton compund in a small gated villa - there are a couple of stairs to the front door. If you are in Addis for a short time and are interested in taking away an original and exquisit object of art from Ethiopia, St. George's is it.

Visited August 2012