“The best in Addis”

Le Grand Reve
Ranked #30 of 284 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Belgian Restaurant in the Centre of Addis Ababa, Open every day except Sunday evenings and Mondays Every Sunday we serve a Brunch from 10.30 till 3Pm
Reviewed August 18, 2014

After more than 4 years in Addis, le Grand Reve was and is for me the best restaurant in Addis, with no real competition so far, in terms of products, cooking and set up.
We can enjoy products from local market, and when not available in Ethiopia, from Djibouti or Europe, and this is a real pleasure to have this opportunity
Some may complain that the price is on the high side, but I dont really agree, because we should compare what is compareable, I mean the products and the global service
Le grand reve sometimes offers some specific 5 course diners, and this is even better experience
And if you are not sure about what you wish to eat, or which wine to drink, you can ask Chef Ken or Lilly, they will of course direct you!
I am going to Le Grand Reve with friends, for business purpose, and several times a year for larger groups like team diners, where you can ask to have the mezzanine floor dedicated
Enjoy!
Jim

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank jeanAA72

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have visited this restaurant a number of times and though quality and service varies, we had rated the place as "good" on average. In Feb 2014 we made a reservation for the Valentine's special, but afterwards hoped we hadn't. The restaurant was crowded and both chef and waiters struggled to cope. At least 1-2 additional waiters would have been required for the night as guests were even sitting upstairs, a part of the restaurant which is usually not used. Spacing between dishes was unacceptably long, taking 25-45 minutes for the next course to arrive. Quality of the food was also substandard, especially for a special valentine's dinner which set us back by more than 160 USD, expensive not only for Addis standards. If only food would have been of good quality but it was a real let down. Starter soup tasted ready-made and anything else wasn't much more inspiring either. Once we steppe out, we were tired and exhausted and regretted that we didn't prepare a nice candle light dinner at home. After a few months we came back recently, but we were yet again disappointed. Setting, aspiration, food and price need to go hand in hand. Unfortunately, this is not the case in the Grand Reve.

2  Thank Barnskybeat
Le Grand R, Owner at Le Grand Reve, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing a review about us, as you did before, although a bit late to write now about Valentines.
I regret to hear your complains about that evening but as the Chef and owner would like to elaborate a bit on the complaints, service wise, yes it is always a bit of a struggle, especially on special evenings like that. so Our apologies if your table didn't get the attention it needed, also food might have gone to different tables as the waiters are not used to working such a service as on nights like this we hire some extra's, we do however try every time to improve on this and highly appreciate your comments on this.

Your comments on the quality of the food that night, we make everything fresh and in-house, selecting the best possible ingredients locally, if not available we import from the best possible source, so surely not ready made. Also on events like this I make a point to visit each table to check if all was as desired so I am sure that I did also to your table and I don't recall any complaints on that evening at all.

I copied the menu herewith to show its a high end menu, and for a 7 course menu like this I like to see the bill anywhere in Europe, surely it is more then 75 $/pp

1/Amuse bouche & glass of Kirr Royall
Cupido of Foi grass mi –cuit on French toast, balsamic cream perfumed with truffle
2/Soup
Pomodori, green peas consommé with a splash of vieux Port & crispy quail
Hot Starter
Slow roasted “Canard A L’orange” with almond –potato croquette
6/Valentines Dessert served with a glass of love potion
7/Coffee or tea selection
Served with Chocolates

You wrote that a while back you came again and were not very satisfied again, but we wish we could welcome you soon again at LGR, as we have changes things around lately and hope to count you again as one of our esteemed customers.

Kind regards,
Chef Ken Willockx,
Le Grand Rêve Team

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I am amazed that this fantastic restaurant is not listed. This has to be one if not the best rastaurant in Addis by a mile. Beautifully and simply decorated, amazing food and fantastic owners. I have eaten here several times and hosted my wedding breakfast here too. This has to be one of the best kept secerts in Addis then but you still have to book a table if you want one.

1  Thank Jeannine d
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Enough has been said about the food. I will just add that like every up-market restaurant in Addis it has not changed its menu since it moved 2 years ago. I suppose the upside of that is that practice makes perfect. My personal moan is that I am simply not interested in spending 3 hours having dinner - no matter how good the company. And if you can get away within 3 hours (2 hours for a simple lunch) you are doing well. Service is shambolic and half of what you ordered is usually forgotten. So not for me

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing a review on us,
I would just like to mention that we change our menu every 3 month, lately even more then that as we had some issues getting the ingredients, saying that the most popular dishes of course stay on the menu.

Your concern about the time issue I have to say is a bit exaggerated I guess, although service is always and still an issue in Addis, it has never been that bad, we do however try to work on this on a continuous basis.
Please do visit us again as we have improved/changes a few things around and hopefully we can welcome you again as one of our customers.

Kind Regards,
Chef Ken Willockx,
Le Grand Reve Team

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Le Grand Reve is excellent but, more importantly in Addis, it is consistent in its excellence. I've ordered many dishes off the menu, but I've never had a bad meal -- or even one that could be considered average. I recommend the veal meatball tagliatelle the most.

If I could ask for one improvement, I would ask them to find a way to maintain their stocks of good wine. Sometimes the selection is small.

2  Thank Sam R