“Use the museum guides”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Use the museum guides”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The museum guides are great. They were provide a context (often from personnel experience) that you could not obtain any other way.

Visited September 2013

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Go!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a great museum about horrific events. We all know about Pol Pot, but not this kind of random and perhaps culturally inappropriate maerail.

1 Thank gwilliams
Stevenage, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fascinating but chilling insight into Ethiopia past and present”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The guide was extremely interesting and knowledgeable...and that's because he is a survivor of the terror.

It opened my eyes to Ethiopian history.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very moving”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've visited similar museums in Eastern Europe dealing with the Holocaust and Stalinist repression. This was less sophisticated than some but maybe even more moving because of its simplicity. The names of victims are presented on simple pieces of paper and there are no films or audio tours, no dioramas. In fact, at one point, as you walk into a darkened room where you might expect to find a well-crafted documentary in a European context, you instead find the actual bones of victims of the Derg. I hadn't expected this, so was completely taken aback. I went with someone about my age, who looked at the lists on the walls and noted -- "I used to play sports with this one." "This one was my cousin." This all happened within my lifetime and some of its most despicable perpetrators are alive and well today. Amazing. Go and support this place.

3 Thank dkalid64
London, England
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Insightful”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We didn't look for a guide but the friendliest, well-spoken, interesting gentleman (official) approached us at the start of the museum to offer a free guide around the museum. We left a 15 dollar donation at the end because it was fascinating to hear his story and his personal insight combined with the multitude of props. We both walked away saying it had probably been one of the most interesting exhibitions we had ever experienced. I can't recommend this place highly enough, it will be an emotional experience. I wish I knew his name but make sure you tag along to his tour instead of walking around solo. You will be moved.

2 Thank Bamboozla