“The best in Ethiopia”

Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Addis Ababa
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The content is very sad but I was throughly impressed with the guides. I haven't met very many Ethiopians that are as informed and willing to talk as the guides were. Admission is free but they are not publicly funded so donations are accepted.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The museum is relatively small and very new. I enjoyed walking around and learning about the history.

Some things were a little much for me due to its violence content (mostly because the things done to those people were crazy and unnecessary). It kind of made me sad.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Those who would like to see the atrocity done by the Derg regime in 1970s, this museum clearly shows how many innocent young Ethiopians were massacred. This will give a big lesson from having this kind of atrocity in the future by any regime or country. A must see Museum located at the heart of the city.

1  Thank amha_z
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Newly opened, it is the only museum in Africa I have visited so far that meets European standards. Impressive!

2  Thank trip_lover_1982
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This is a small museum, but important to include in your itinerary. Our visit was extraordinary as we had a tour guide/docent who had been imprisoned by Mengetsu for eight years and had many first hand stories to tell. He was fascinating and brought the whole period into a focus that we would not have otherwise understood. We say "never again", but have we learned?