“Superb”

La Mandoline
Ranked #8 of 271 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Note that there are no street addresses in Ethiopia! I've done my best to describe its location as would be done by one person living in Ethiopia to another. I lived in Ethiopia for 2 years, and I assure you this place exists. A map to this establishment can be found in the American Embassy publication at: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ethiopia/427391/PDF%20files/The%20Lion%20June%209.pdf
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We frequent La Mandoline weekly. The owner & the owners father in-law (who is around a lot) are both very kind, accommodating people. The atmosphere is romantic and relaxing. This is one of the few restaurants where you could order something special or have a substitution without being hassled about it. I rarely eat red meat here except when I come to La Mandoline I order their filet. The beef quality is on par with a nice restaurant in Europe or America... very good!

There are newer reviews for La Mandoline

Reviewed June 2, 2012

The hospitality, food, and service are amazing. We will miss this place. We have eaten here dozens of times and we always love it.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Arrived late on a Friday with no reservation and were greeted by the very welcoming owner-
Highly recommend it, and recommend calling ahead for a table!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Amazing food with complimentary warm seasoned French wine, nice mousse desert as well. Very romantic and quiet place, perfect for a dinner date! Best part- chef/ manager comes and talks to you!

1  Thank Edie Z
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Ate in La Mandoline last night with 3 friends, one of whom has been living in Addis for a year and is a regular diner there, minimum once a week.
It was quiet when we arrived, and yet took over 15 minutes for anyone to bother to take a drinks order, despite catching the waitress's eye several times. The order was only partially correct when it finally arrrived.
We were sitting outside, and I asked if I could order dinner before which time we would move inside to take a table (it was still quiet). The response was a grunt, and no order was taken. I asked 4 times over 20 minutes if someone could take our order. Each time, they said they would be back, and never were.
We finally went inside, and waited another 15 minutes before our order was taken as the restaurant began filling up.

When dinner was served, the food was exactly what i hoped for, and certainly held up the reputation of the restaurant (i had a medium-rare beef fillet with potato dauphinoise with a side of warm blue cheese). But the food was the only aspect that did.
My friend, the regular visitor, accidentally broke a wine glass, which was promptly replaced without drama; it was a clean break.
However, whilst paying the bill (incidentally, no Visa accepted!), they arrived with a second bill for 25 birr to replace the glass! This is beahviour of a low budget cafe, not a top class restaurant to one of their regular, high spending customers. It left us all with a terrible impression, and none of us, not even the regular, will never return to the restaurant again.

The staff were slow, rude and disrespectful, and no amount of perfectly cooked steak can compensate.

3  Thank senzaparole03