“Best thin pizza!”

Antica Addis
Ranked #77 of 256 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, African, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: It is one of the best pizzerias, bars and restaurants in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The food is so delicious and healthy, with art gallery, brick oven pizzas, hot rock barbecue, underground night club, welcoming people.
Chengdu, China
“Best thin pizza!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We wandered into this well talked about place not expecting much. But it was so good! The thin pizza with aubergines, sun-dried tomatoes and onions was the best thin pizza I have ever had! My husband had the four cheese...good, but not nearly as good as mine! He eventually admitted it. The crust is very light, airy and slightly burnt for the best taste. The salads are pretty good, but limited since the vegetables in Ethiopia are not the best! The cheese on the salads was homemade and tasty enough. Definitely splurge for a bottle of South African wine. The house wine is not good! We saw many customers leave it unfinished on the table! Overall, great place and vibe. It was packed when we arrived at around 7pm on a Sunday night. Great people watching...expats, tourists and well-to-do locals all dressed up.

• Visited February 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Pasta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a work lunch here on a recent trip to Addis. The menu was largely Italian, mostly pizzas and pasta with some salad options. The dish I originally wanted wasn't available as they were all out of fish, so I settled on spaghetti with sausage and cream sauce. Other people in my party selected pizza, lasagna, and an entree salad. The foccacia bread and guacamole that came out as a complimentary starter was so good I wished I had ordered pizza.

My pasta dish was huge, and I knew I was in trouble at the first bite because I was going to eat it all. The portion sizes for everyone were very large. We were sitting outside in the back near the new seating area, which was very nice on a clear afternoon. The new addition in the back also has pleasant indoor seating and allows you to see the pizza oven. The only mild annoyance sitting outside was a stray cat that was begging for scraps and would be promptly shooed away by staff.

• Visited October 2013
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Hard-to-find good food in Addis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently refurbished (Not a major improvement in decor but certainly more seating) this place serves the best pizzas in Addis. Their other fare is good as well. Reasonably priced family run restaurant off the beaten track but worth the trip. Easy to get to from any area in the areas around Bole Road.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great pizza!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been here a few times the last in May 2013. The food was still very good. I had a great pizza which is much better than UK standards and much closer to Italian standards of a good pizza. The service is good and price is fine. Overall a perfect place for a good pizza in Addis.

• Visited May 2013
Tyler, Texas
“Probably my favorite place to eat in Addis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I love Antica. It is always a frequent part of my bi-annual visits to Addis / Ethiopia. More than likely because it comes the closest to replicating that "home" feeling from food when I am in Ethiopia. I never have concern over getting some kind of food poisoning or stomach bug when I eat at Antica, AND the food is just good overall!

I always order pizza when I come here, and my favorite is the Mexican Chili pizza. It's fun to be able to watch them fire the pizzas next to your table in their very cool brick oven, and the pizza itself is always very good. I really enjoy the style of crust they make their pizzas with. Not too thin, but also not close to thick or "deep dish". It is just right.

I usually order a side of olive oil to eat the pizza crust with, and it always tastes great.

Highly recommended! They have just remodeled and done a great job. The atmosphere is very quaint, quiet and cozy (especially on rainy-season afternoons with that brick oven fired up!)

• Visited July 2013