I rate this a 4, because I'd stay at the Pacific Hotel again.
Here are its good points:
- a very friendly and helpful staff.
- comfortable beds
- inexpensive, good value
Here are its weak points:
- very slow and unreliable Internet
- buffet meals lack variety
- menu is limited
- single rooms are tiny
I stayed here for two weeks. The staff was wonderful, they became friends.
The hotel is in a residential area, so there is no street noise. Of course you have the frequent Muslim calls to prayer and the nocturnal barking of the dogs to hamper your sleep... But this is Africa!
If you don't mind walking on dirt roads through a lower class neighborhood, you can get to the shops and Kaldie's coffee in about 15 minutes. Take a flashlight / torch if you go in the evening - it will be very dark on your walk back.
As I mentioned, the Internet service is lacking... in the lobby it isn't too awful, but in the rooms it is slow and the IP addresses get used up quickly. (hint: opposite the elevator on every floor is a wireless router, when nobody is looking, unplug it for several seconds to allow it to reboot...then rush back to your computer and connect!)
When you arrive at the airport, if you are expecting to meet the hotel transportation van, do not expect to see them holding a sign when you exit immigration and customs. Only the hotels that pay to have a presence inside the airport can meet you there. Instead, go outside, with all of yor luggage, and cross the car lane, continue on the ramp down the hill to the parking lot. There are scores of vans waiting there. Simply ask for the van from Pacific Hotel, and you'll be set. If not, then a taxi is $15 (US) - taxis are very expensive in Addis, while most everything else is very inexpensive.
For the price, it's not bad at all. If you want fancy, world class accommodations, then book the Sheraton or the Intercontinental - both are superb, and expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pacific Hotel is a newly established five story building perfectly located in a quite district of Bole Subcity only a few minutes drive away from Bole International Airport. Pacific has 45 elegant & well decorated rooms that provide panoramic views of Yeha / Yerer Mountains & a nice airport view during the night time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Pacific Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.