“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Prague, Czech Republic
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the Addis Regency late last year and found it very nice. The staff was friendly and food was good. The rooms are large and beds comfortable. It is a bit of a drive from the airport but located near many of the main Embassies, University, and Government buildings. The WiFi access was good but beware because the security on it is lacking. I recommend staying on the main front part of the building or you will find yourself being awaken by the early morning mosque speakers.

If your a business traveler also be aware that vpn connections unless they are from the national phone company are illegal and blocked.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I just spent eight nights at this hotel (June 1-8, 2013). I thought it was very nice for Addis. I did not pay for the room myself, so I cannot comment on the price. I can say that the WiFi was very reliable every single day. I was able to use Face Time to see my family back in the USA. There are routers on every floor so you are able to use it in your room.

The electricity only went out one time and it was for less than 2 minutes. There was always water and the bathrooms and rooms are nice and clean. I will say that we had hot water in our room for the first three days but then the last five, it was nothing but cold water mornings and evenings. We were with a large group and we were the only ones without hot water, even those on our same floor. I told the staff at the front desk and she said they would check on it, but nothing changed. I ended up going to a fellow traveler's room to use her shower on the last day so I could have a nice warm shower before the long plane ride. Her shower door would not close all the way, but she had hot water.

We ate breakfast there every morning. I thought it was pretty good. We also had dinner there twice and I would say it was the best food I had the whole week of all the places we ate. A friend ate their salad and did not get sick. In Addis, this is a big thing.

I had them wash some laundry and was advised by a friend who is familiar with the hotel to specify NO BLEACH. So, you may want to do the same if you plan on using that service. But plan to pay 20 birr per shirt, which can add up (a little over one US dollar at the moment).

Room Tip: My room was right by the stairs on the first floor (room 105). I would not recommend having a room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The service of the staff at the hotel is excellent, they really go above and beyond.  Airport transfer in included and punctual.  Breakfast buffet is normally served 6-10am, but as we had to depart around 5am, they were nice enough to prepare us a meal much earlier.  The room itelf, despite being a "deluxe", was a bit small, but very clean and bed very comfy, and window screens prevent any unwelcome mosquitoes or other insects.

I thought it was a decent deal for $100, but when I tried to book the same room for the following week, they told me rate would be $200 because of the AU summit. I looked around for another hotel and found Lion's Den Hotel, which I actually like even more. The location of Lion's Den is much better on a quiet street off of Bole Road on the airport side of Meskel Square, it is very well upkept, the rooms are much larger and the owner does not play games with the room rates on busy weekends. We ended up returning to Lion's Den several times after that.

Regarding location of Addis Regency, while it's not the most convenient for restaurants, nightlife, etc., I have to disagree with other reviewer calling it "dangerous."  The "hassle factor" is no worse than any other part of the city, and the begging kids, while annoying at times, pose no real threat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week at this hotel. We have stayed at the Hilton, and a few guest houses in Addis, this place is by far the best place we have found!! Now that we found Addis Regency Hotel this is the only place we will stay while in Addis. They offer airport transfer service free of charge, in a new, safe hotel van. The price for the room was the price that was advertised. The front desk staff was friendly and always available. The room was cleaned daily and to a very high standard. The wait staff were always friendly and there to get us what ever we needed. The free breakfast offered several selections, the restaurant was great for lunch or dinner as well, and they offer room servcie. The rooms had a safe, and a mini Fridge. The location of the hotel is great! you can walk to several resaurants and local attractions. They have a list of taxi drivers and will order you a taxi when you need one - we used several different dirvers and they were all nice and offered fair prices. The Hotel is extreamly safe, there are at least 3 guards on duty and there is a security gate.

Room Tip: Super Delux and Balcony room is what we would recommend!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, BC
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Addis Regency delivers. We stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of our Ethiopia trip. It was a real oasis of comfort and attentive service at the outset, and we appreciated it even more after several weeks of decent but mostly unexciting accommodation elsewhere in the country. There are two sizes of rooms -- we had the basic double and it was nicely appointed with all the mod-cons (no fan or air-conditioning, but we never felt it was needed). What sets the hotel apart is the quality of the management and service. Staff are diligent and extremely friendly and helpful. The food is good and the wi-fi connection is smoking throughout the building. Free airport/downtown pickup and dropoff is another bonus. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on future visits to the Ethiopian capital.

Room Tip: Decide whether you want the regular-sized rooms (as we did) or the luxury version (for around $25 mo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Voyager20099
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Addis regency is located on a side road in old addis its a small new hotel, nice rooms spacious with balconies , now my room did not have a fan nor did I notice an AC but it was cool even at night! DSTV channels on tv so you get to watch international channels ,the staff are out to please and friendly . At about about 99 usd it was a great bargain, the food is bland but then that's my opinion I am spoiled a bit I assume. Its great for thoes on a budget ,safe and not a bad place to explore addis ababa .

• Stayed April 2013
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Addis Regency our first night in Ethiopia. Then we left Addis for 2 weeks but returned to the Addis Regency for our last 3 nights in country.

The rates for our two stays as well as airport transportation (included) was exactly as agreed. After two overnights on transAtlantic and transMediterranean flights, it was great to see a sign with my name on it as I exited Customs and then to have a van waiting. We were at the hotel by 7:00 a.m. Even though there is a mid-afternoon check-in, we were immediately given our room and invited to enjoy that morning's huge breakfast! That is just an example of the hospitality the Addis Regency provides. (The day we returned for our 2nd stay the owner met us and gave us 2 free beers in the lounge.)

The hotel is in a local neighborhood on a side street. Nevertheless, one can walk to most of the 'tourist' sites in Addis. It feels so much more authentic than most capital city hotels in which I've stayed.

There is an enormous number of smiling staff. The stairs are constantly mopped and swept. The included breakfast is diverse and very large - including both western and Ethiopian favorites. The rooms are comfortable; we stayed in two with small balconies, and these provided a nice space for outside air, great Addis views, and the fun of watching the school children come and go in the two school buildings below. Both rooms included cable, WiFi, a small fridge, and a room safe.

I will let photos do the rest of the review.

Room Tip: The elevator is not yet completed, but the higher floors give better views. Our 4th floor room was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple