“Small and quaint!”

Addis Regency Hotel
Ranked #5 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Addis regency is located on a side road in old addis its a small new hotel, nice rooms spacious with balconies , now my room did not have a fan nor did I notice an AC but it was cool even at night! DSTV channels on tv so you get to watch international channels ,the staff are out to please and friendly . At about about 99 usd it was a great bargain, the food is bland but then that's my opinion I am spoiled a bit I assume. Its great for thoes on a budget ,safe and not a bad place to explore addis ababa .

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Addis Regency our first night in Ethiopia. Then we left Addis for 2 weeks but returned to the Addis Regency for our last 3 nights in country.

The rates for our two stays as well as airport transportation (included) was exactly as agreed. After two overnights on transAtlantic and transMediterranean flights, it was great to see a sign with my name on it as I exited Customs and then to have a van waiting. We were at the hotel by 7:00 a.m. Even though there is a mid-afternoon check-in, we were immediately given our room and invited to enjoy that morning's huge breakfast! That is just an example of the hospitality the Addis Regency provides. (The day we returned for our 2nd stay the owner met us and gave us 2 free beers in the lounge.)

The hotel is in a local neighborhood on a side street. Nevertheless, one can walk to most of the 'tourist' sites in Addis. It feels so much more authentic than most capital city hotels in which I've stayed.

There is an enormous number of smiling staff. The stairs are constantly mopped and swept. The included breakfast is diverse and very large - including both western and Ethiopian favorites. The rooms are comfortable; we stayed in two with small balconies, and these provided a nice space for outside air, great Addis views, and the fun of watching the school children come and go in the two school buildings below. Both rooms included cable, WiFi, a small fridge, and a room safe.

I will let photos do the rest of the review.

Room Tip: The elevator is not yet completed, but the higher floors give better views. Our 4th floor room was...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend trip.....staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hotel is clean, well maintained and comfortable. No elevators, but the staff took my bags to my room. The breakfast in the morning is filling, w a nice variety. Wifi is free and no issues. I also appreciated the hot showers and comfortable beds. I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2013

More $ than we usually spend, but worth it for our first nights in Ethiopia. Wonderful free airport pick-up (in the middle of the night!), delicious breakfast, comfortable rooms, quality bathrooms, very friendly service, central location- we walked to the museums and the Piazza no problem. Be sure to go up to the roof for some great views. Hopefully they will make a rooftop lounge in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Addis Regency Hotel may not be located in the same neighbourhood as the other mid and upper class hotels in Addis, but on the other hand walking around in the city (especially in the Plaza area) is a great way to learn to know the country.

And the hotel itself is wonderful. Reasonably sized, clean, exceptional value and -- first and foremost -- very, very friendly and helpful staff. Ethiopian hospitality at its best!

The breakfast buffet was a bit different from the usual Western style white bread diet, but well made and all the family members found some favourite. We also ate lunch and dinner in the hotel a few days, also a great choice. Nice selection of dishes, tasty and inexpensive. And the coffee is great!

Then, last but not least, this hotel has probably the best Internet WiFi in Addis! Much better than Sheraton or Hilton. Much appreciated when travelling with teenage kids or trying to do some work.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I came here for two nights based on this site recommendation.
Service: I encountered excellent service. While the plan was on the runway I got a call from the hotel saying that the driver was waiting for me at the airport arrivals gate. The driver took me straight to the hotel from the airport - no wait. (I mention this since every other hotel I stayed at in Addis, including the Hilton have issues with airport transfers). The hotel staff was very courteous.
I came in at 22:00 and I was the only one in the restaurant - dinner was made for me in a timely matter. The food was not great but it was edible.
The hotel is a small modest hotel. Surprisingly no elevator ! The staff takes your baggae to your room. The size of the hotel is one of the benefits. Any request was immediately answered. One of the lights in the room was not working - it was fixed immediately, I was not able to open the safe - this was immediately solved etc..
The acoustics of the hotel are very poor. This is due to poor design and execution of the building. The rooms have laminated floors which are an acoustic nightmare the same with the hallway and staircases. They should all be carpeted with special acoustic material. The windows are not acoustic aware so all noises from outside are heard in the room even when the windows are closed. I had room 207 which is facing the rear. I asked for a quiet room. Early every morning the calls room the mosque walk me. At night there were cats screeching and fighting that kept me up.
The amenities in the room are poor - soap that is of poor quality and nothing else (no shampoo) - so come with your own. The toilet paper is also very poor quality.
The hotel comes with the best internet connection by far from any other hotel with good wireless coverage everywhere. The speed is fast. One issue, during several hours there were no phones and internet - this was a problem caused by Ethiopian Telecom.
The hotel location is not the best. There is nothing in the vicinity. 30 years ago the area was the "Red Light district", but there is nothing left of this.
I would recommend that the hotel place complimentary bottled water in the room and stock the refrigerator. I forgot to mention that the windows has mosquito screens, something I did not see at other hotels.
Breakfast:
There was nothing in the buffet that I could eat. It had classical Ethiopian food, eggs, bacon, pancakes and cereal. very poor selection of fresh fruit, cheese, no fresh vegetables, no yogurt, no fresh bread, no oatmeal, and the list goes on....
In Summary:
A budget hotel, good value for what you pay. Excellent service and WiFi.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I transferred to this hotel for one night after spending seven nights at the Sheraton, which being the most expensive in Addis was a difficult act to follow. (I had extended a work trip by an extra day for sightseeing but the Sheraton was just not in my budget.)
I made the booking directly with the hotel via email and it was secured without a deposit. All of my correspondence was promptly answered within 24 hours.
The Regency sent a vehicle to fetch me from the Sheraton free of charge and allowed me to check in early (10am) at no extra cost although I did not even request this. A free transfer was also provided to the airport on my return home. The room and all common areas were always spotlessly clean. Staff were very helpful and the reception not only called for a taxi (for sightseeing) for me but also negotiated the rate, which I would have had difficulty doing. Free wifi was available in both my room and in the public areas and the signal was always strong.

Probably my only gripe was the fact that my bathroom sink was draining extremely slowly and this was not rectified when I informed the reception about this. However, as this proved to be the exception to what was otherwise an all round exceptionally well-run hotel, I would comfortably recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business