“Ethiopian hospitality at its best (plus great WiFi!)”

Addis Regency Hotel
Ranked #5 of 119 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Stockholm
“Ethiopian hospitality at its best (plus great WiFi!)”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Addis Regency Hotel may not be located in the same neighbourhood as the other mid and upper class hotels in Addis, but on the other hand walking around in the city (especially in the Plaza area) is a great way to learn to know the country.

And the hotel itself is wonderful. Reasonably sized, clean, exceptional value and -- first and foremost -- very, very friendly and helpful staff. Ethiopian hospitality at its best!

The breakfast buffet was a bit different from the usual Western style white bread diet, but well made and all the family members found some favourite. We also ate lunch and dinner in the hotel a few days, also a great choice. Nice selection of dishes, tasty and inexpensive. And the coffee is great!

Then, last but not least, this hotel has probably the best Internet WiFi in Addis! Much better than Sheraton or Hilton. Much appreciated when travelling with teenage kids or trying to do some work.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Israel
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I came here for two nights based on this site recommendation.
Service: I encountered excellent service. While the plan was on the runway I got a call from the hotel saying that the driver was waiting for me at the airport arrivals gate. The driver took me straight to the hotel from the airport - no wait. (I mention this since every other hotel I stayed at in Addis, including the Hilton have issues with airport transfers). The hotel staff was very courteous.
I came in at 22:00 and I was the only one in the restaurant - dinner was made for me in a timely matter. The food was not great but it was edible.
The hotel is a small modest hotel. Surprisingly no elevator ! The staff takes your baggae to your room. The size of the hotel is one of the benefits. Any request was immediately answered. One of the lights in the room was not working - it was fixed immediately, I was not able to open the safe - this was immediately solved etc..
The acoustics of the hotel are very poor. This is due to poor design and execution of the building. The rooms have laminated floors which are an acoustic nightmare the same with the hallway and staircases. They should all be carpeted with special acoustic material. The windows are not acoustic aware so all noises from outside are heard in the room even when the windows are closed. I had room 207 which is facing the rear. I asked for a quiet room. Early every morning the calls room the mosque walk me. At night there were cats screeching and fighting that kept me up.
The amenities in the room are poor - soap that is of poor quality and nothing else (no shampoo) - so come with your own. The toilet paper is also very poor quality.
The hotel comes with the best internet connection by far from any other hotel with good wireless coverage everywhere. The speed is fast. One issue, during several hours there were no phones and internet - this was a problem caused by Ethiopian Telecom.
The hotel location is not the best. There is nothing in the vicinity. 30 years ago the area was the "Red Light district", but there is nothing left of this.
I would recommend that the hotel place complimentary bottled water in the room and stock the refrigerator. I forgot to mention that the windows has mosquito screens, something I did not see at other hotels.
Breakfast:
There was nothing in the buffet that I could eat. It had classical Ethiopian food, eggs, bacon, pancakes and cereal. very poor selection of fresh fruit, cheese, no fresh vegetables, no yogurt, no fresh bread, no oatmeal, and the list goes on....
In Summary:
A budget hotel, good value for what you pay. Excellent service and WiFi.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the rear of the hotel
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I transferred to this hotel for one night after spending seven nights at the Sheraton, which being the most expensive in Addis was a difficult act to follow. (I had extended a work trip by an extra day for sightseeing but the Sheraton was just not in my budget.)
I made the booking directly with the hotel via email and it was secured without a deposit. All of my correspondence was promptly answered within 24 hours.
The Regency sent a vehicle to fetch me from the Sheraton free of charge and allowed me to check in early (10am) at no extra cost although I did not even request this. A free transfer was also provided to the airport on my return home. The room and all common areas were always spotlessly clean. Staff were very helpful and the reception not only called for a taxi (for sightseeing) for me but also negotiated the rate, which I would have had difficulty doing. Free wifi was available in both my room and in the public areas and the signal was always strong.

Probably my only gripe was the fact that my bathroom sink was draining extremely slowly and this was not rectified when I informed the reception about this. However, as this proved to be the exception to what was otherwise an all round exceptionally well-run hotel, I would comfortably recommend this hotel to other travellers.

1 Thank GoneThough
Riyadh
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This Hotel just seems more comfortable and relaxed each time I stay. Clean, friendly, with delightful owners and staff. Laundry takes an hour,not three days! The internet works everywhere. The airport shuttle is a god send as are the early check ins and late check outs. Top Marks all round.
My favourite Hotel in my favourite Country! I hope to come again and again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook a school playground , so if you like to wake to the sound of children'...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've been to a few hotels in Addis and the staff have always been very helpful, but the very welcoming staff at the Regency take it to another level. I have now visited three times. I came for the third time because I had a 12 hour wait after arriving in Addis from Lalibela for my flight in the day. They arranged to pick me up and drop me back at the airport later in the day for a very reasonable price. They let me use the hotel as a base for the day while I wondered about Addis in the rain. The guard even insisted that I use his umbrella! The internet is very quick and I was made to feel very comfortable. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

$75 addis regency hotel
- thumbs up to the top ranked hotel in Addis. Clean and comfortable rooms and a very friendly and helpful staff that will help you to arrange tours (you'll still have to negotiate this price on your own), confirm flights, etc. We arrived at 7am and even still were allowed to check in and have breakfast at no extra charge. Cost is certainly higher than any of the other non-international hotels in town, but does include breakfast and free airport shuttle. Location is nearby to at George's cathedral but not really much else, though Addis is a large city you cannot really see by walking.

• Stayed April 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my third time staying at the Addis Regency in the past year, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else! The hotel is clean and very comfortable, the water is hot, the internet works well, and the food at the hotel restaurant is excellent. The best thing about the Addis Regency is the service, though - everyone from the receptionists to the cleaning staff to the management to the restaurant/bar staff are friendly, kind, and incredibly helpful. Nothing is too much trouble, and they go out of their way to make sure you have a great stay. Who could ask for more?

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance/front of the hotel tend to be quieter - the rooms at the back of the hotel...