“Great hotel and staff”

Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Washi
“Great hotel and staff”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Addis Regency Nov 29- Dec 3 and again on Dec. 6-8. On both occasions I found the staff to be extraordinarily helpful, the rooms were incredibly clean, and the showers were always hot -- which can be a luxury compared to other hotels in Ethiopia. The airport pick-ups were efficiently scheduled and always executed without trouble. The front desk staff is incredibly responsive and helpful, particularly Hewi, the reservations manager. We needed to extend our reservation a day and Hewi went out of her way to find rooms for us that required little disruption in our stay. She is a jewel and a huge asset to the hotel.

I've read complaints about the location and I must say, that I found the hotel location to be fine. Our family walked to many of the best sights in Addis Ababa, and for those we couldn't walk to, the front desk was happy to arrange a taxi pick-up and negotiate reasonable prices for us. We walked to the National Museum, Ethnological Museum, Holy Trinity Church and the Menelik II tomb. Each time, the staff provided maps and walking directions. Also, while the breakfast selections were limited, the food was always fresh and tasty. Lunch and dinner were really good - I highly recommend the pasta, it was great. The lobby is also a great place to unwind, with free wifi, good music and a bar. Also, the hotel provides inexpensive laundry services, which came in handy when an afternoon rain shower caught us outside the hotel. The front desk took our clothes and returned them clean within two hours, at a more than reasonable cost - great service!

I would definitely stay at the Addis Regency again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Melanie R
Mackmekonnen, Owner at Addis Regency Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, our staff and management was delighted to hear your stay at Addis Regency was superb we will continue to keep our hotel up and provide excellent service to our guests.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel between 4 December and 8 December . I had initially booked somewhere else but my wife saw the reviews on trip advisor and decided to book me there.
Transfer from the airport was very professional shuttle was there on time with a placard with my name written o it.
We drove through places/ neighborhoods I would never venture in with metal houses reminescent of ghettos in southern Africa . We turned into any ally to get to the hotel.
My shock was turned into pleasant surprise as I saw a good hotel in the middle of nowhere. I had to go through a x ray machine to get into the lobby( standard procedure in most places in Ethiopia). Safety first I guess ... Thank you.
The lobby area was clean with very friendly professional staff. My room 202 was what we saw in the pictures. The bathroom had a strong stench, I could not figure were it was coming from. Had to sleep with the window open.
0700am the morning horror begins.. I was woken up by lots of noise which upon further investigation was coming from a children play ground behind the hotel . My room was directly overlooking the playground. The view from my room(see pics attached) was not good. I suppose if your hotel is in the middle of the neighborhood you can't do much about the kids. I had to sit and see them play mini soccer one afternoon, quite interesting. Back to the hotel.

The first day breakfast was delicious. Everything seemed well thought and cooked. I enjoyed it . The next I woke up early in anticipation of a treat. Lo and behold, same food from the previous day. Same as all the days of my stay. I can imagine someone staying there for a month. A little variety never kills. I
I did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel.

This hotel I agree with some reviews that say this hotel is far from the happenings of Ethiopia . For someone who had come for a conference I accepted this little inconvenience .
One day in the morning of the 7th I woke to no warm water( every at the hotel tried to play around withe the tap with no luck) and no satellite television. For those who follow cricket I wanted to watch India / England test match. I suppose this was an accident as everything was up and running th next day.

Something odd.... The hotel accepted my dollar notes without much fuss but refused to take back about 600birr I had left with me the reason being they are not a hotel. I wonder if they were a hotel when they took my dollars.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank impudzi
Mackmekonnen, Owner at Addis Regency Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that your 1st day in our hotel was great, it was unfortunate that you picked a hotel that was not close to your business, you would enjoy our location for family holidays, most attractions in Addis Ababa are within walking distance or short taxi ride from our hotel, As you have stated this is the oldtwowne of Addis and we are quiet excited for being a pioneer in the new re development effort. Ethiopias first inner city train installation which began 3 month ago near St. George Cathedral a 5 minute walk from our hotel walking to and from will be a great advantage to our guests.
Sorry you did not ask our wonderful staff to give you a different room or ask them for a menu, At addis Regency we bend back words to make your stay memorable, my sincere apology for any inconvenience.

Management
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed one night at the Regency and were happy to do so. The staff is friendly, greeted us at the Airport, and welcomed us upon arrival at the hotel. The staff went out of their way to make our stay a comfortable one. The restaurant was very good, the restaurant clean, and efficiently run. When we discovered that our vegetarian lasagna was cold, it was quickly replaced, and while we waited another salad was provided for us, in addition the manager gave us a free dessert in lieu of the problem. Now, that is service and something that many other hotels in Ethiopia can learn from! Also it is within walking distance of the Piazza, the shopping district and St George's church and I would stay here again and highly recommend it to other travellers. G&C Hughes Calgary,Canada

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john V
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Been there one year ago, enjoyed it, returned and enjoyed it even more! This place is definitely an excellent deal in Addis, where new hotels keep appearing but rarely keep their promises. At Regency you're sure to get a warm weclcome, a nice room and good food, for the best price. Above all Hewi, the manager, truly aims at quality... this definitely makes the difference. Sounds like paid advertisement, but I'm only a happy customer! Will return, no doubt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JMGeneva
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We recently held a conference at the Addis Regency, during which all of the guests stayed at the Addis Regency. The hotel is immaculately clean, very comfortable, with internet in all the rooms, and a great place to hold a conference. Hewi and the rest of the team are incredibly professional and nothing is too much trouble; they were truly a pleasure to work with, from the planning stages through to our stay. They provided all of our meals, which were very tasty, well-presented, and offered a great deal of variety. Everything went so smoothly, and all of the guests commented on how great their stay was, how good the food was,...

I highly, highly recommend this hotel - if you want personal service, a comfortable place to stay, and your conference to run without a hitch, this is the place to be!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jb9
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have stayed here twice . It is family run and a delightful and friendly place to stay - comfortable , immaculately clean, welcoming and a haven to escape from the Addis hustle and bustle. Nothing is too much trouble. On a really warm day when we had an hour to spare, they kindly opened up the roof terrace especially for us. Freedom, the hotel driver, is an excellent guide to Addis and very knowledgable on both places of interest and shopping! We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Munich
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed four nights at the Regency and it was a very good choice. The rooms are nicely furnished, the bathroom was big and had a good shower. Everything is very clean, especially in comparison to other hotels we saw on our 14-days trip through Ethiopia. The lobby is a good place to have a drink in the evening and it´s comfortable to use the Internet there (free of charge). Breakfast was good, the food in the restaurant only average. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and attentive. I can highly recommend the Regency especially if you come to Addis for the first time. The pick up service from and to the airport was perfectly organised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple