“Never judge a book by it's cover!”

Addis Regency Hotel
Ranked #5 of 117 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Never judge a book by it's cover!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

First visit to Ethiopia and yes it is ANOTHER world. Reluctant to say " 3rd " ! Why? Sure it is a very poor society but they are richer than most others at the same time! I was amazed at the lack of smoking here - smart people! Perhaps the most friendly I have ever met. And I really feel how moral they are. ok!! Now about this place. I feel like family! Great room, super clean and maybe the best 'wi-fi' I have ever encountered in a hotel room. "Mac" the owner and his family and staff will do literally anything to accomodate you! I will be back!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank KSAguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having stayed in a not great place on my last trip to Addis Ababa, this is a nice change. Decent mid-level hotel. Great staff. Everything is clean. That's my biggest criteria in Africa - clean sheets, towel and decent bathroom. This meets the requirements. The only downside is the food isn't great. Passable dinner but wouldn't want to eat here every night. The location is a bit out of the way so you will need a taxi to take you to any of the better restaurants. Some noise at night which can be annoying after a long day. Why do the dogs always bark at night??! But overall this is a good and pleasant place to spend a few days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel offers great value and great service. The rooms are clean; the beds are comfortable; the showers are great, wifi works, and there are also two computers (one with printer) in the lobby. We had a super delux room; there was plenty of space to work and to move around. The staff go out of their way to be of service. My husband got sick during the trip and they called the doctors for us, confirmed an appointment, got us a driver (at no charge) and generally took care of us. We also stored luggage at the hotel during our trip north, and they had it in our room waiting upon our return. No, it is not right downtown in the center of business and tourist attractions, but it is an easy walk to Piazza, to the National Museum, to the university. And yes, there is street noise--a nearby mosque has early prayer calls; the elementary school next door has the sound of children playing. We saw that as part of being in Addis. Overall, this is an incredible value--it feels like home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Safe choice for anyone with limited experience or capacity or willingness to encounter this country head-on. Fully set-up hotel for mid-level, generic tourist experience. Bed, furnishings comfortable and everything fairly new. Room was a bit cramped though and uncomfortably damp and humid. Some bad acoustics from the hallway, door closings and housekeeping chatting.There was no curtain or covering on bathroom window which faced the front of building. Something they'll likely take care of eventually as owner is on site here spreading cheer, and keeping staff on their toes -- American style. Overall ok short-term hostelry. Restaurant was good. Location of this Hotel though is not ideal: not the center of pedestrian and downtown streetscene in Addis. Cabs will be needed for about everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paubranco
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Recently spent two weeks in Ethiopia with me son as part of a large contingent of returned Peace Corps volunteers celebrating Peace Corps' 50th Anniversary in Ethiopia. While in Addis, we stayed at the Addis Regency. I cannot say enough positive things about the service. It was exceptional. The rooms were immaculate, there was an abundance of hot water, and they will not allow you to carry your own luggage up and down. They have a very good restaurant, bar, and lounge. This is not a huge establishment but its size allows them to provide excellent individual attention. Additionally, they will change your dollars at the prevailing rate and they are happy to provide complimentary transportation to and from Bole airport. In addition, if you need a taxi they will call and have one for you at the doorstep within 5 minutes.
My son and I made two side trips and the hotel staff was happy to store our luggage. The owner's daughter is a manager and speaks flawless English do to time spent in US. She understands Americans very well.
This hotel is an incredibly good value!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jerry S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

After staying in 3 different Addis hotels, a friend recommended this one as the best value, and I'm so glad that she pointed us to it. We stayed here on two different occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, and the service excellent. While the included breakfast isn't anything to write home about, the cappuccinos are delicious.

The owner and his daughter are very helpful and friendly, even going so far as to call Ethiopian Airlines to book 4 different flights for us. We had to cancel our third stay at the last minute, and they were very understanding.

Our friends stayed at another hotel that was $10/night cheaper, but a much lower standard. Don't think you can find a better hotel at this good of a price in Addis. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatC123
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

When I first searched for hotels in Addis, I came across Regency as the top rated hotel in the city. I was really looking forward to staying there based on the great things I read. I must say Regency met all my expectations! It's a GREAT place, and people didn't overrated at all.
I have stayed twice for about 10 days, and I have stayed in other hotels in Addis as well, so I can say with confidence that you won't regret staying there.

Here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros: Staff is very friendly and helpful! I met the owner and his daughter, who manages the hotel, and they are great as well! The internet is SUPER fast! I even watched Hulu and Netflix (used Unblock US). The rooms are very clean and new, the bed is really comfortable, and the food is very nice (if you like fish, try the Tilapia Cujon - just perfect!!!). Nice TV with some good channels, like BBC and Movie Action (but not a great variety). It's a non-smoking hotel, which for me is a BIG issue given that smoking is allowed everywhere, so some hotels can get really smelly.

Cons: The location is okay - a walking distance to the Piazza, very well known place in the city, where you can find stores and small grocery stores. However, I hear isn't the safest area, especially for foreigners (I met a Korean guy last week who had his iPhone stolen there!). Plus, it isn't a nice area "to hang out" or just walk around. I love walking, but while I was there I stayed in the room pretty much all the time, or went out by cab, with a few exceptions. The breakfast could have some improvements: there aren't many options, the food is exactly the same every day, and is mostly Ethiopian (which I am not crazy about it!). There is no gym, not even close to the hotel, unless you get a cab and go to Hilton or Sheraton. But the cab ride is about 5-7 dollars, and each time you use it costs about 12 dollars (to use the pool is doubled the price) - not really worth it!

Tips about the room: if you're not going to be around the hotel much, the standard room is a good option. BUT, if you have a lot of work to do (like I did), I think it's worth it to get the Super Deluxe. It's way more comfortable: bigger bed and the size of the room is MUCH better.

I also want to make a note about the noise. There was considerable noise from the street because there was some constructions around, and some mosques with very early call for prayers (like 5 am!!). However, when traveling to Addis, keep in mind that noise is an issue here. The city is pretty much under construction. So, maybe apart from the Sheraton that is located at a very exclusive area, noise is going to be an issue anywhere you go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business