“Excellent Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Addis Regency Hotel
Ranked #5 of 127 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here for four night in November. At $85 we felt (and later learned) that this was good value for Addis (especially if you're booking ahead of time and online). We had a great stay during our time here thanks in many ways to a first impression where the owner of the hotel himself picked us up from the airport and regaled us with stories of his amazing life. The hotel itself is very well appointed, small but everything looking brand new. There's lots of staff around to help with anything you need. Rooms are medium to small but again, very tastefully decorated with comfortable beds. Our room had a big desk which was ideal to work on. TV had standard set of channels including some English and some news. Bathroom was big, with a huge shower that was (almost always) scalding hot. Breakfast was a large buffet with a number of hot dishes, both western and ethiopian. We ate room service multiple times and was in general very happy with the dishes. Our only issues during our stay was that it got downright chilly in the room at nights (they were going through a bad cold spell apparently), and the location isn't the most ideal if you want to do some exploring around the hotel. We ended up eating most nights in the hotel because there's no real restaurants or facilities set up for foreigners. Still, after staying for over a week in Addis and at multiple hotels, we have very positive memories of the Regency and would recommend it as a great place to stay.

3  Thank CEMMM

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Our international scientific research team stayed at the Addis Regency last summer. The hotel management and staff are very helpful. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. And the food is among the best I have had at a hotel in Ethiopia over the past decade (the breakfast buffet is particularly good).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank MCC2012
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Speechless! I decided to stay at Addis Regency again on my trip back to Addis as I traveled through Ethiopia and Kenya. I stayed Dec 10 to 13 and again on Dec 16 to Dec 22. Both times the stay was excellent. Hotel pickup from the airport was great and the driver was very knowledgeable / helpful regarding the area. Check-in was quick (a few mins) and the customer service was very warm. The room is perfect. The bed is VERY soft, nice HOT shower (they even provide two pair of sandals for the shower or just to walk around in the room), and 24 hour room service. The hotel is quiet compared to all the other hotels. You will sleep like a baby. Getting a taxi is easy. The hotel usually has specific taxi drivers that they know well to pick up their guest (which is good so you know that you will be taken good care of). Most taxis of you ask them to wait (where ever you have them to take you) they will wait the whole time so you never have to worry about going to find another taxi (even though taxis are all over the place). It’s always good to feel comfortable with the same driver everywhere you go.

The hotel is very safe so if you have a family you will feel very comfortable. The place isn't crowded and the service you will receive is overall great.

The hotel staff is great. Some mornings when I slept in late, I received a call just before breakfast closed asking if I would like anything. I think that was great because you never want to miss a free breakfast.

OKAY! At the very last minute, I decided to ask the hotel if they could provide an Ethiopian traditional dinner for 20 guests since I recently married on the same day. I made the request that morning and later in the day, they had everything ready. Full buffet (about 20 different dishes), cake, champagne, traditional music, workers to tend to the guest, security to ensure guest were comfortable at all times, etc. My wife and I were amazed to see what the hotel did for this last minute special occasion. I could go on and on but I think everyone understand that I truly loved the customer service from this hotel.

The owner and his family are great and very personable as well. Hewi yet again made my stay a very pleasant one. She is a beauty and has a wonderful smile. If you need anything please let her know and she will do whatever it takes to make sure you have a wonderful time in Addis. My wife and I were looking into buying property in Addis and the owner was able to refer us to some folks that took us around showing us various properties for sell.
Good restaurants to try is Meda Grill, Rodeo Grill (our favorite for lunch and my favorite dish is Tibs with no Awaze sauce (if you not into spicy stuff) and the Lamb Bouchette) and the Addis Regency since they also have great food (try the club sandwich). Also, go to any of the traditional restaurants in Addis that have traditional dancing shows while you eat. The dancing starts at around 8pm so you need to get there around 7pm in order to get a good seat. If not, you may find yourself all the way in the back or waiting to be seated.

If you need to have a conference this is also a good place to have one.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side is probably much quieter but no matter what you will be satisfied.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jamaal H
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was in Ethiopia shooting a film and was looking for a good 4 Star hotel for the crew and myself. I found the Regency Hotel and everybody loved it! We stayed there for 3 weeks and were upgraded into Deluxe rooms which was fantastic! It is a family owned hotel and you can feel it the minute you step into the hotel. Very friendly staff, the rooms are very clean with amazing beds. I toured around and went to every single hotel in Addis and checked the rooms and prices of each of them and the Regency is absolutely the best price / value you can have in Addis Abeba. Would always go back there, forget the Hilton or the Sheraton, go to the regency!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I spent 3 nights at this property and up to this point have never given5 stars for any hotel rating. I read all the reviews before going there and it lived up to its name and more. It is not perfect, the cons being that it is located somewhat out of the way, but within an easy taxi ride to any other spot and 15 minutes from the airport; no shampoo or conditioner but available for purchase. The room was electronically keyed and worked every time. Room and bathroom were in great condition; TV picked up BBC and CNN and a few other channels. Refrigerator was great, 24 hours restaurant and free wifi. Minor power outages. There were 110VAC receptacles, a computer in the lobby (small fee for printing); staff generally spoke passable to very good English and were very helpful. 24 hour security. The restaurant food was really good; breakfast was fine though no fresh fruit; kudos to their scrambled eggs. The Ethiopians are really friendly people and finding this gem in the middle of east Africa was unexpected---and for 1/3 the cost of the Hilton!!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room but be aware that though the hotel is located off a small street, the rear faci...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank PDM77059
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Addis Regency Hotel offers the same kind if rooms and services as the most famous hotels in Addis for half the price. Mordern, clean rooms, big breakfast, laundry, room service, free pick up and drop off, fast internet... Nothing is too difficult for the staff at this hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I was staying in Addis Regency Hotel in November 2011 and had a great stay.

+ : staff very available, Hewi is great, welcoming perfect, information available. Hewi made everything possible to accomodate my stay a few weeks after, coming back to Addis, because I did not book the right type of room. I had the deluxe room which is great. Overall best hotel I have been to in Ethiopia.

- : the hotel is located close to schools, so expect noise at night.