“A wedding to remember - for all the right reasons!”

Addis Regency Hotel
Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A wedding to remember - for all the right reasons!”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Myself and my wife stayed at the Addis Regency for 10 days, while we visited Ethiopia to get married. We held our Wedding reception in the function room at the top of the hotel, and i must say that the hotel took care of everything, from the 20 course of local and international food, to the five-tier wedding cake and 15 bottles of champagne! it was a day to remember, and it was most helpful that a lot of the organising etc of the finer details was handled by the staff, taking the pressure off at what was a quite stressful time - just try getting maried in Ethiopia and you will see what i mean :-).
The room was comfortable, and the food in the restaurant, be it local or international cuisine, was very good. The staff were always helpful and polite, and room service was very quick - even late at night.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a comortable, and yet extremely reasonably priced hotel in Addis Ababa. The overall servcie is very good, and bearing in mind we are talking about Africa, the standard of the hotel in general is very good. I have stayed in worse in africa, for more money!
The centre of town is not too far to walk, but easily reachable in a taxi. We travelled far and wide across Addis on more than one occasion sorting out wedding paperwork, etc, and never had any travel problems.
I will certainly be looking to book into the Addis Regency when we next return to Ethiopia - i can't imagine there is anywhere in Addis that has such a good standard for such a reasonable price.
Things could easily go wrong with wedding arrangements, and ruin the big day. I am pleased to say that the day was memorable for all the right reasons (even down to a cheeky bottle of malibu for the groom to enjoy!), and i thank Mac and his staff for all their assistance, and hope to see them again soon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I was so welcomed and impressed with the Addis Regency Hotel, that I wanted to give a review on it! The owners and staff are all very competant and helpful. I went to Addis on business for the first time in March, and chose this hotel because of the high ratings. The hotel is Western influenced, and it is very clean and cozy. It took me a few days to get the nerve up to eat a salad there, and how many places in Africa can you confidently eat a nicoise salad?
I found the price to be reasonable as well, so I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Addis and wants a comfortable, safe place to stay!

milano
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Just back home from Addis. 4 days business trip.
We stayed at Regency hotel and we can say that is a really good mix Price / Quality / Friendness.
The only "problem" (if is a prblem) was the FREE wi-fi connection on the room, a little too slow. Thanks to the reception they gave me a long cable so I could reach any part of the room. So "problem" SOLVED

Addis Ababa
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We rented Addis Regency's banquet room for a dinner we were hosting. We had over 40 guests and Addis Regency's kitchen prepared a wonderful and delicious buffet which included a variety of side dishes, main courses and desserts. Their banquet hall is a beautiful venue for any gathering. The well-trained staff had set the room up with beautiful tables linens, centerpieces and sound system/audio visual equipment that we were in need of for a presentation. No detail was overlooked! The staff did an amazing job of foreseeing our needs and exceeded them!

We would HIGHLY recommend Addis Regency both for those traveling to Addis on business or pleasure and would recommend it for locals who are in need of a beautiful venue for meetings, dinners, etc.

Their restaurant staff and cooks did an excellent job and well trained in professionalism and thoroughness.

1 Thank AddisDyson
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I found out about the Addis Regency Hotel from tripadvisor, attracted by the Stellar reviews about it. As a solo woman traveler to Ethiopia, it was extremely important to me to find a hotel that I would feel safe and secure in. I am happy to attest that this hotel did NOT disappoint and by far Surpassed All my expectations!

Mac, the owner himself, picked me up at the airport and throughout my stay, I have never seen such a Hard-working family and crew work so Tirelessly around the clock to ensure the happiness of its guests! I found out that Mac's wife personally picks out all the produce in the market that the hotel's restaurant serves (that's why the food is so fresh and great!) and his daughter Hewi, manager Jason, and other helpful staff such as Daniel rounded up the team to ensure that all their guests' needs are met.

The reason that I'm still familiar with everyone's names, despite writing this review some months later, is that the Addis Regency became literally a "home away from home" for me after my stay there extended unexpectedly into weeks, following the Xmas-time shutdown of Heathrow.. I am So grateful that I found and chose to stay at the Regency, because what could have been a disconcerting expereince turned out to be such a Pleasure!

The Addis Regency is Definitely one of the best values in Addis and I think that the quality of its rooms (bedding, fixtures etc) are easily on par of that of any generic 5-star chain. From that regard alone, I am so glad I didn't stay the grossly overpriced, sterile Sheraton! The Regency's lobby/bar area became my living room, after a day out sightseeing etc, and was such as nice place to chat with and meet other fellow travellers, as well even other expats working in the city who came there to grab a drink and relax after work. I felt safe and cared for during my entire time there and like many other guests, felt part of their extended family.

The next time I travel through Addis, I will make sure to make a stop-over to experience the Addis Regency, once again. I would Highly recommend the hotel to other expats who are traveling through or visiting the Addis Ababa and the incredibly Fascinating - yet still undiscovered - country of Ethiopia.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank TravelingFlower4
WV
Reviewed March 16, 2011

This is such a great hotel and really the best value in Addis for sure. The deluxe rooms are pretty large with a balcony and the standard rooms are smaller but comfortable also. The beds were the best in Ethiopia with a great mattress, soft down pillows and a warm snuggly down comforter. The bathroom is clean and the shower is great but a bit leaky. Best of all was the staff, they were truly exceptional and I travel a lot. On the night I arrived my flight was actually early and when I called the owner came right away and was very apologetic and kind..even at 1 a.m. They have world class 24 hour service with a full bar and restaurant! They also have free internet that was very fast! If I ever go back to Addis this is where I will stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Oxford
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We had a great three nights at the Regency whilst visiting Addis on holiday. The rooms are a good size with very big comfy beds and everything is cleaned to a very high standard. The hotel is within very easy walking distance of most places you might want to visit. The owners could not be more welcoming or helpful. Also appreciated the free wireless.

The only downside was some outside noise during the night - but that's hard to escape in a busy city centre. I also wasn't a fan of emailing over my credit card details before arrival. Would be great to be able to book online through in more secure way.

We really look forward to visiting again on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple