Kaleb Hotel
$91
Addissinia Hotel(Addis Ababa)
$89
$75
Ag Palace Hotel(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
$31
$60
$44
All reviewsroom servicebalconyethiopiabolegym
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel, which was booked for me by a travel agent, instead of MN hotel. I was assured by my guide, that The Kaleb had much better reputation and was of a higher standard. I don't know how much in advance before my arrival the booking had been made, but after a quite a long time spent waiting in the reception, I was given a key to a room which clearly wasn't ready, with an unmade bed, wet towels and plastic bottles lying on the floor. Pretty disgusting sight. The staff was very apologetic and after another longish wait I was led to a clean room, much bigger and nicer than the first one. The electronic key didn't work though, and every time I wanted to go in, I had to ask someone to come with a master key. The room was also close to the lift which made it very noisy. View from the window was non existent-some building site. I also accidently shut the safe but despite asking at the reception, nobody came to open it. Neither the problem of the key was ever sorted out despite many promises. I stayed there for one night only and had to catch an early flight but the checking out took ages: there wasn't a competent receptionist at this time of the day and the person left in charge couldn't grasp the idea that my stay had been already paid for by the travel agent. On a positive side: The staff, although slightly incompetent, was friendly. The breakfast was very good and the staff helpful despite me turning up before the start of the serving time. The room, apart from the door and the noise, was comfortable and the bathroom good with all appliances in a good order. It wasn't a desperately dreadful experience but I wouldn't stay there again unless I absolutely had to, I would go to Jupiter instead- much better option.

Room Tip: Not close to the lifts!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Mashariki
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here, because my usual hotel was full. It's a relatively new hotel at a good location, close to the airport, movies and restaurants. The rooms are big and pretty clean. Unfortunately, the room I had was extremely noisy and it smelled of cigarette smoke. I asked for a non-smoking room, but there are none. The bathrooms are ok, although the water pressure is miniscule. Would I stay here again? No way.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank erabin
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night as our previous hotel had booked up. We negotiated the rack rate of $125 for a king superior down to $90. At $90 we felt this was ok value although compared to our stay at the Addis Regency and later the Afroland Lodge, we felt this was the worst of the three we stayed at (and also the most expensive). Although the room was absolutely huge, with as promised king sized bed, tv, balcony, and wifi, in general we noticed that the rooms and hotel weren't as well managed or as kept up as its competition. The carpet was scuffed, the shower's doors didn't close, the bathroom fan made a racket and the tv's signal was fuzzy on a number of channels and although we complained, it was never fixed. All small things, but enough to bring down the whole experience. We wanted room service but the menu was so limited and pricey that we decided to go out (Fusion, down the street, served amazing food!). Breakfast was a buffet – some hot dishes as well as omelets made to order. All in all, it was a rather disappointing experience but at $90 it wasn't that bad of a deal for midrange in Addis. When we saw online (eg. Expedia) our room going for $180 a night however, I would say that that would be terrible value and to suggest that no-one should pay so much for so little.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CEMMM
Reviewed December 21, 2011

This a reasonable hotel in the Bole area, near the airport. Bole is a new part of town so not much atmosphere in the streets but quite a few restaurants nearby and the Beer Garden Inn is next door with, you guessed it, good beer and food. The Kaleb has rooms in the main building and in an annex. The annex rooms have opaque glass doors without curtains so it can be light early in the morning. I suggest asking for a room in the main block. I did not find the hotel noisy. Breakfast is good. Staff are friendly and helpful. Internet (free) worked well with a cable but I had some problems with wireless connection. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Millennium Hall conference centre.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank robert_cumming
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel and it was okay as it was very central to the movies, restaurants and close to the airport. Unfortunately this hotel was right beside construction so it was quite noisy sometimes right up until 11 pm. The room did not have much sound proofing so you could hear everything in the hotel. The shower was missing the door so the floor in the bathroom was always wet. The internet service was okay. The breakfast buffet was fairly good. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel was completely booked all the time. Great gym that still has construction.

I would only consider staying there if I had a room on the side away from construction.

There is a great cafe called the Lime Tree just down the street and a lounge downstairs.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business