“Ok value, so long as negotiated”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaleb Hotel

Kaleb Hotel
Ranked #49 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Waterloo, Canada
“Ok value, so long as negotiated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night as our previous hotel had booked up. We negotiated the rack rate of $125 for a king superior down to $90. At $90 we felt this was ok value although compared to our stay at the Addis Regency and later the Afroland Lodge, we felt this was the worst of the three we stayed at (and also the most expensive). Although the room was absolutely huge, with as promised king sized bed, tv, balcony, and wifi, in general we noticed that the rooms and hotel weren't as well managed or as kept up as its competition. The carpet was scuffed, the shower's doors didn't close, the bathroom fan made a racket and the tv's signal was fuzzy on a number of channels and although we complained, it was never fixed. All small things, but enough to bring down the whole experience. We wanted room service but the menu was so limited and pricey that we decided to go out (Fusion, down the street, served amazing food!). Breakfast was a buffet – some hot dishes as well as omelets made to order. All in all, it was a rather disappointing experience but at $90 it wasn't that bad of a deal for midrange in Addis. When we saw online (eg. Expedia) our room going for $180 a night however, I would say that that would be terrible value and to suggest that no-one should pay so much for so little.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CEMMM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

This a reasonable hotel in the Bole area, near the airport. Bole is a new part of town so not much atmosphere in the streets but quite a few restaurants nearby and the Beer Garden Inn is next door with, you guessed it, good beer and food. The Kaleb has rooms in the main building and in an annex. The annex rooms have opaque glass doors without curtains so it can be light early in the morning. I suggest asking for a room in the main block. I did not find the hotel noisy. Breakfast is good. Staff are friendly and helpful. Internet (free) worked well with a cable but I had some problems with wireless connection. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Millennium Hall conference centre.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank robert_cumming
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel and it was okay as it was very central to the movies, restaurants and close to the airport. Unfortunately this hotel was right beside construction so it was quite noisy sometimes right up until 11 pm. The room did not have much sound proofing so you could hear everything in the hotel. The shower was missing the door so the floor in the bathroom was always wet. The internet service was okay. The breakfast buffet was fairly good. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel was completely booked all the time. Great gym that still has construction.

I would only consider staying there if I had a room on the side away from construction.

There is a great cafe called the Lime Tree just down the street and a lounge downstairs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EEHogan
sharjah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a good hotel to stay in Addis. The room price was ok. They have got very friendly staff. I reached the Hotel in July (2011) without advance booking, The front Office manager gave me a good price for the room with breakfast.

Rooms are spacious and I got one with a Balcony. Very poor sound proofing & No so great breakfast ( even in Ethiopian Standards ). Avoid the restaurant at the hotel not very good.

Internet connection is slow, even though they say it is broadband.

Still, a very good and decent alternative to the overpriced Hilton where I used to stay earlier.

The hotel is close to Beer Garden Inn ( next door ).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank PVNair
Düsseldorf
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

"Where you feel like a king" (their slogan on their website) - I found this so appealing that I wanted to give this hotel a try. The first two days (of a total of 11) were just as you would expect from a hotel, which claims to be operating upon international standards, and which asks for around 100 bucks per night per room. After two days I was kicked out of my room (it was reserved for someone else, but no-one had told me when I checked in). Where other guests normally get an upgrade in any business hotel for such inconvenience, I did not – in fact this was the beginning of a real downgrade journey through the hotel. The alternative room (5th floor, room no 505) that I was offered was in the last corner of the hotel, dark and nowhere near as nice as my old room plus located literally vis a vis a large construction site. Overall it was in such condition that I rejected to accept this one. Then Kaleb exiled me to a mounting on the second floor (room No. 222). To keep a long story short: This room looked as if it had simply forgotten to be completed: no table, no wardrobe, sink and toilet leaked, no socket which made it hard to work with the PC at the desk really, the minibar could not be opened without damaging the furniture as it was squeezed in between wall and bed…just to name a few things that did not work or were missing. Kaleb promised me to provide a better room after 2 days, in fact it took 4 days and 2 more reminders before they eventually got me a new one. Room no. 606 was the fourth I had seen in the meantime and again was no real improvement. The problem with this one was that it was located on the 6th floor, which means that the water pressure was very poor up here as well as the Internet connectivity (me and other hotel guests met on the hotel corridor to edited our email there as one could not do it in the room).

My overall impression is that Kaleb Hotel has a massive problem with customer service. Instead of solving problems all that you hear as a guest is "I am sorry ...". I felt like a second class guest and truly not as a king. What made me stay? The really good breakfast buffet and the great beds incl. super clean bed linens. But Kaleb is not going to see me again. Business Hotels in the Bole area spring like mushrooms, so there are more than enough good alternatives to Kaleb.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank emailwolf

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Pass
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a very nice hotel, not too overpriced and with very friendly staff. Our office has used it a lot in the past and always to our satisfaction. However, it is a Chinese hotel and built as such... which means a poor architecture, very poor sound proofing, actually, probably none, and also very cold during the winter, due to the lack of central heating. Remember that the height of the winter in Addis is July and August! Last point is the internet, not fast enough for skype calls, but OK for chats.

Still, a very good and decent alternative to the overpriced Hilton, and the staff is much friendlier!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ChristineCharlotte
Cape Town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

And the noise came from inside, not outside. Staff talking loudly right outside our door. Trolleys containing crockery rattled right past our door after midnight and then started the endless unpacking of it. Definitely ask for a room as high up in the building as possible to get away from the restaurant and also get as far away as possible from the elevators. The rooms are nice, with large beds and fresh linen and the decor is pleasant. The bathroom was a disaster. The loo was somewhat loose on the floor and rocked back and forth and the shower had a panel on the door missing resulting in the floor getting unavoidably wet. There was no hot water till we discovered the switch on the geyser but had to wait till morning for a hot shower. It's very close to the airport so perfect for late arrivals/early departures, but that's all. We changed our hotel for the nights after our trip back in Addis.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you take one.