“Nothing great, but an ok place to sleep”
Review of Beshale Hotel

Beshale Hotel
Ranked #93 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nothing great, but an ok place to sleep”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

As other reviwers have said, don't expect this to be great. Its quite grubby and run down. Wifi goes on and off, half the hotel is quite noisy. I'd be happy if it cost 1/2 the price, but for what it basically a reasonable local hotel, it trys to give the appearance and price tag of an internationally competitive hotel, which is a bit disingenuous. Staff are welcoming in my limited experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RoughRoading

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am currently staying at the Beshale, and just must write this review. I stayed here before, and it was just as bad, but as I am traveling for work my colleagues in Ethiopia were in charge of the reservation and it is too late to change now. I will not be staying here again, and as it is 10pm, I cannot leave:

Negatives of hotel: no internet (spotty at best for maybe 2 minutes). cockroaches in bed (in 4 rooms, all that I was switched to). busted doors, no hot water, tubs don't drain, toilets dont always flush, extremely dirty carpets, there is currently wall shaking construction that has been going on throughout the day and even though I have complained that it is 10 pm they will not stop.

Honestly, I have tried to be positive and keep an open mind about the 2nd time to this hotel...but it is horrible. I have traveled in over 50 countries, staying at hostels, hotels, guest houses, etc. This is by far the WORST.

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Sarah A

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at this Beshale Hotel while I was in Ethiopia, before my departure from USA I have seen a negative review only form one person, in spite of that negative review, I have decided see the hotel and how they are doing. I found out to the opposite. From my day of arrival to my day of departure I was treated very well. I will recommend this hotel to any one, The only reservation I have is to avoid the 5th floor, you may not have a good sleep when ever there is a party going on the 6th floor in addition you may not have hot water in the mooring, but this can be solved if you move to 4th and 3rd floor. Otherwise the receptionists are great from the guard to the manager I give A+ grade, I will not forget the breakfast Buffy. I also will not forget the girl who offered Ethiopian Ferfer to my friend and a good hot coffee to me I do not know her name but you know who you are when your read this page , Thank you the person who gave me the adapter to charge my phone that is one of the door man. You really represent your company and the hotel reputation keeps up do good job, I will see you when I come back to Addis.
Berhanu F.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Other than cockroaches and my partner suffering food poisoning because they washed and recycled a dish instead of serving fresh food....I had a business meeting sabotaged by the waiter and the night manager, because... after midnight you are not allowed to use the lobby!!!
In addition over 12 days of stay the internet worked only 45 minutes all in all.
Disgusting service. Appalling management. Should not be allowed to trade under the pretence of being a business hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank carlotortora
Nairobi
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Nothing special, a slightly run down western style hotel on the E side of Addis. Not ideally placed for tourist stuff but Addis is small enough to allow you to get anywhere by cab in under 20 minutes. WiFi throughout in theory, but in practice only the 6 rooms clustering around the router on each floor get any signal - but they allowed me to move without any problems. Once connected the performance varied between ok and nothing, but was mostly adequate. Room was ok, clean and well prepared. Room service was fast and prices were reasonable for a hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms near the centre of each wing on each floor are the only ones with wifi
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 27, 2012

In my opinion this hotel is a good lesson that building a 4* hotel building is not enough to grant it 4 stars. Service is really important, and from my experience (one day, but it was enough) there is a lot of work left to do. The mindset of all staff did not live up to standarts of 4 stars - they had little interest in helping unless there is a monetary incentive somehow involved. The owners shold think about a litlle staff clean up and serious training.
Positive sides.
-The choice of food at the restaurant was relatively good and it had quite a few vegetarian options.
- The gym was good and a coach seemed friendly!
Negative sides.
- It looks as though they use leftovers from previous meals to cook. The salad at dinner contained fish from lunch and the breakfast next morning had vegetables from that dinner, albeit with some bolied potatoes added.
- Don't buy water at the restaurant - even though the bottle was sealed, it contained tiny particles of something.
- A cockroach in my bathtab.
- Most TV channels were not working properly, so only about 5 worked well.
- No wireless connection in my room (416, 4th floor). I complained and I was told twice that someone was fixing and that it should have been done during my stay (it was never fixed though).
- My colleague who stayed at a suite asked to fix his TV. One of employees spent a few minutes looking busy with that TV and then left promising to be back soon. We haven't seen him ever since...
- A reading lamp at my colleague's suite didn't have a bulb in it.
- I asked a consierge for a taxi and he gave me the most expensive one I have seen in Addis ($20 per hour irrespective of whether the driver waits for you or drives, and even then the driver tried to charge us $80 for 2.1 hours - his math was really "bad"). I suspect that there is a deal between that driver and a consierge.
- My colleague found a few things missing after our trip. It may have been stolen elsewhere, but the fact that rooms are easily accessible for staff and their level of competence make me wonder... Just make sure you lock everything important safely.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business