Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours

Book in advance
from
$153.85
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours
from $153.85
from $220.52
from $98.00
from $256.42
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Sort and selected filters
Sort Filter
Reviewed April 21, 2019

It was a good experience for me to start with this tour to know about Ethiopia and Addis Ababa.
Biruk is a nice guide to introduce about various background and the history of this country. Also he gave me a great opportunity to touch and learn the tradition of Ethiopian culture with some special arrangement.
I recommend this tour to beginners of Ethiopia like me to know the outline of it, and also in detail about the topics that you are deeply interested in.
Thanks, and hope to join your tour again in near future.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank 582tu
EthiopiaTours88, General Manager at Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2019

Dear Takashi,

Thank you very much for booking the Full Day Private City Tour of Addis Ababa with Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours!!

It was a pleasure meeting you at the local family house at Mount Entoto. It is great to make your Addis Ababa city tour with the local tour guide (Biruk) such enjoyable and experiential.

Thanks again Takashi and best regards,

Muluken G.

Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

Recently experienced the tour with Merit, which was a great experience. We toured Merkato where Muluken helped me negotiate for some spices that I wanted to take home. It is an intense place but so much to see and experience and makes for great presents to take to people (local products). I didn’t get Hassled at all, very much unlike other markets/souks that I’ve been to in other parts of the world. Additionally we had a coffee experience, drank some tej, made injera, as well as got to try khat, an endemic leaf you chew as a stimulant for awareness. It was a very interesting tour and I would highly recommend!

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank chefliverkick
EthiopiaTours88, General Manager at Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2019

Dear Matt,

Hello!

Thanks a lot for booking Food Tour in Addis Ababa with Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours!!

It was a pleasure to be your local tour guide in Addis Ababa and show you some places of visits in Addis Ababa.

Thank you very much also for taking time to rate and review your experience with me!!

With best wishes,

Muluken Girma

Reviewed April 20, 2019 via mobile

What an excellent day tour! Headed off early then stopped for breakfast. Visited UNESCO steles site with informative guide. Had home brewed drinks with locals. Visited a traditional African residence then headed for lake Ziway, which was spectacular! Had lunch of fish from the lake, then went out on the lake with another local guide for a bout an hour. Saw hippos and lots of different birds. Headed back after that but stopped on the way for a beer in the sun. The tour guide Kede and driver Belay were great. Couldn't have asked for better! Highly recommend this tour to anyone looking for a day trip from Addis. Great job guys!

3  Thank L3360QTdavids

Dear David,

Thank you very much for booking the Day Tour from Addis Ababa to Rift Valley and UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE OF TIYA with MERIT ETHIOPIAN EXPERIENCE TOURS!!

It is an honour to know Kede and Belay added such a value on your private guided day tour!

Thank you also for taking time to rate and review your experience with us in detail!

We are always pleased to make your tour in Ethiopia a success. Contact us anytime when a need for our service arises.

Thanks again David and best regards,

Muluken Girma

Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

It was a great day to spend around Addis Ababa on a day trip north of Addis Ababa to visit Debre Libanos Monastery (13th Century AD and biggest in Ethiopia), enjoy fantastic views of the Jemma River Gorge, appreciate perfectly under use Portuguese Bridge, and see the Ethiopian endemic Gelada Baboons.

3  Thank mulukeng2016
EthiopiaTours88, General Manager at Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2019

Thank you for using Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours day tour from Addis Ababa to Debre Libanos Monastery and Portuguese Bridge!!

Reviewed March 29, 2019

I had an 18 hour layover between flights in Addis on a business trip, and decided that I'd use this as the opportunity to do some reconnaissance to confirm whether or not Ethiopia was somewhere that our family would like to visit in the future.
I absolutely loved the trip, which provided a fascinating and varied introduction to the country's landscape, nature and wildlife (particularly endemic species).
The highlight for me was Portuguese Bridge and the Jemma River gorge. The landscape is stunning, and using a local guide means that you get an excellent perspective on the wildlife. I am a keen birder, so was very excited to see Rupell's black winged cliff chat (whose distinctive call you'll hear reverberating through the gorge), sunbirds and two species of vulture - hooded vulture and lammergeier - as well as several other species.
We were also able to spend some time watching a family group of gelada baboon who - despite having fearsome canines, are vegetarian - who were digging for roots and bulbs.
Lunch was delicious - injera flat bread with a selection of stews, sauces and vegetables, eaten in the traditional style with hands and washed down with a cold Habesha beer. As I visited during Lent, the food was vegetarian, featuring lentils, cabbage and beetroot, so vegetarians could request this meat-free version outside of the fasting season.
Mulu speaks excellent English, and I found him friendly, well informed and very accommodating. When I indicated that I didn't want to attend a coffee ceremony because I have a food intolerance (and didn't want to risk offending my hosts by not drinking what they'd made for me), he was totally unfazed, and rearranged the schedule accordingly. He was happy to make unscheduled stops to explore things that I was interested in (including a lengthy stop by a stand of bushes alive with seed eating birds) and took me to a supermarket in Addis where I could buy local honey and tea to bring home with me. Most importantly, I never felt as though I was being rushed.
I would highly recommend this tour, and on this basis, I am confident that we will be back as a family to explore Ethiopia in the future.

Date of experience: March 2019
1  Thank CatherineReichardt
EthiopiaTours88, General Manager at Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2019

Dear Cathy,

Thank you very much for booking the day tour from Addis Ababa to the Debre Libanos monastery, Portuguese Bridge, and Jemma River Gorge with Merit Ethiopian Experience Tours!!

It is an honor to host you on this day trip! Thank you for your informative facts of the day tour as you mentioned on your review.

We hope to see you for more tour of Ethiopia someday with your family.

Thanks again for all