“average.......Clean, staff not so good, not cheap”
Review of Dreamliner Hotel

Dreamliner Hotel
Ranked #69 of 121 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Addis Ababa struggles with hotels its either the Sheraton (way over priced) but you get the European standard or i am afraid these sort of hotels. It was even hard to book this hotel as their systems are not good. The room was ok, the food was ok, but it is not that cheap when you think about it. I will not be staying at this place again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Dreamliner Hotel

Reviewed May 21, 2011

I was planning on staying at this hotel for three nights but after the first night I transferred down the street. To begin with, I told the hotel when I was arriving at the airport and of course there was no one there to pick me up. After getting a taxi and arriving in the hotel I was not happy with the customer service since they put me in a higher priced room than the one I reserved and said there was a conference going on so the hotel was full and there was nothing they could do about it. Hours after getting in the room the toilet would not stop running water and would not flush, I told three separate people about the toilet but no one came to fix it. Secondly, the bed was hard as a rock and I ended up sleeping on top of the extra pillows on the bed because they were more comfortable. Since the hotel is on a busy street you fall asleep to honking and loud music playing outside. The good thing about the hotel is the food in the lobby. The Dreamliner looks great on the website but to be paying so much money for a room I expected more.
After not being satisfied with the price I was paying I moved down the street to Abot-Tina Hotel. It is considerably cheaper with free breakfast, faster internet, quieter street, and a much more comfortable room. I would highly recommend this hotel over the Dreamliner any day!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2011

First impressions are good as the hotel is new and stands out on otherwise jumbled street. The room was large and comfortable, although the door onto my balcony didn't fit the hole and wind whistled loudly under the bottom of the frame (though this died down at night so didn't affect my sleep). There is a good Indian restaurant linked to the hotel. The hotel's own dining room is devoid of charm, however, and not a place to eat a nice meal. I didn't eat there so can't comment on the food quality. Breakfast was good - lots to choose from, though I think they were serving instant coffee and put it into a percolator jug to make it look "real". Generally when you enter the dining area you feel like you've stumbled onto someone else's conference - assorted stacks of chairs, flip-chart boards, curtained off sections, etc, waiting for the next corporate group to check in. It felt like a place where you're not treated as an individual. With one very pleasant exception, I found the reception staff unwelcoming and unhelpful.

My main problem was the internet speeds. I tried the wi-fi in the lobby and I tried the cable connection in the room, over a period of 48 hours, but the speeds were so bad I couldn't load even one web page. I was forced to check out and move to another hotel nearby, where the speeds were far better. I think the link the bandwidth they are paying for at Dreamliner may not be sufficient for the number of rooms.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Africahand
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I stayed here just for one night, arriving from Djibouti and flying to Bahir Dar the next morning. Took a taxi and this was quite expensive for the distance; they do have a shuttle, but I was too tired to wait around for it (it was already 8:30pm). Met a friend who lives in Addis in their Indian restaurant, which was very good.

The check-in staff were professional and everything looked good. The room, which was a single, wasn't terribly spacious for the money, but certainly sparkling clean and brand new. The shower was hot and clean--so no complaints about the room. The comments about the noise are very accurate and be forewarned that there are nightclubs down below playing music all hours of the night. Bear in mind that Addis is a cosmopolitan metropolis and the "capital of Africa," so this should be expected. You don't go to NYC looking for a silent night's sleep, either.

The only problem--and it could have been bigger than it was--was when I checked out in the morning. I had booked via hotels.com, whereby you prepay and get a cheaper rate (I believe it was US $80). I brought my receipt with me (never just trust it will go according to plan in Africa), but upon checkout, they told me I owed 1,200 Birr. It took a lot of haranguing before they finally agreed to let me go, writing down my name, phone number, address, passport number, etc etc. one more time. They would have gladly had me pay the money and then "settle it later." I'll give you two guesses as to whether there ever would have been a refund issued.

Once you've been in Ethiopia a while, you'll start looking on the ripoff scams with a sly smile and note the differences in technique and delivery amongst the various classes of people you encounter, but if this is your first exposure to the continent, it may be a bit unsettling. Who knows if the front desk staff pockets the double payment, or the hotel itself, but either way, I wasn't paying and neither should you. Verify that you're prepaid before you check in and better yet, get something in writing from them. It will save you hassles down the line.

The hotel itself is just fine and you should have no qualms about staying there.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ESVASpiderTerp
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at the Dreamliner Hotel for one night and then booked and paid form my college that would arrive the following evening late at night.

First – I was not treated friendly at all. Upon arrival the receptionist wanted my CC for immediate payment. As I told him that I had travelled for 40h he nevertheless instead on immediate payment.

I decided not to stay another night at this place – but made a reservation for my college and immediately paid for his room. As my college arrive that night, they told him that there was no reservation. After being out of town for a few days we went back to complain and either get reimbursed or given the room we had already paid for. Though the night manager was on duty, he did not believe our story all though we had all the receipts! After a 45 min discussion not one of the four manager and staff were able to reimburse us or let us use a room for shower and a short rest before leaving that evening by plane!

Though the hotel offers some clean and tidy rooms – I will never visit the Dreamliner again – and would not recommend paying before delivered!

Not a rookie in Africa!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2010

This hotel is really clean and that is no wonder because it either new or newly renovated . It has god looking rooms rooms though small and have clean bathrooms that work properly. It has an Internet wire connection with reasonable speed. However the TV cable is very limited. It has very few channels.
The problem with this hotel is its staff that I found to be poorly trained, unfriendly, rigid, indifferent to the extent that they make you feel they have no interest in their clients. Also

First surprise was the shuttle wasn't at the airport as they said to me over the phone when I booked. They told me a person with a sign bearing my name will await me outside the hall. I called them after I went outside the arrivals hall and I had to wait for more than half an hour for the shuttle to come. I also called them that my girlfriend will check in some hours before my arrival and that her name is already in the reservation and they said OK. When I came, I found her checked in but they made her pay for the night in advance!!!

The second day we went out touring the city. When we came back they searched my girlfriend's bag at the entrance. When I passed by the reception area a lady asked me if I have a room with them!!! I said yes. She then never asked about any verification which made me wonder why she asked me in the first place!!

The food in this hotel is below average in quality and it is rather expensive and the menu is very limited. They bring you tea in an open cup up the seventh floor. When they arrive it gets cold.

The last day, I asked them to give me a wake up call at 6:00 am but they called me at 6:30

The real nightmare in this hotel is the NOISE. This is most noisy place I have ever slept at! I haven't had a good sleep three nights in a raw. When I left Addis I was so tired and worn out. The windows do not seem to have insulation that reduces noise. I was on the seventh floor but I feel like I was sleeping in the parking lot in front of the hotel. The street beside the hotel is a very busy street. A lot of trucks with loud diesel engines keep passing by all night long. Across from the hotel there is a number of night clubs that send very loud music until 2:30 am. After they stop drunken guys and girls pour out in the street and they keep shouting and quarreling until 4:30 am. Among that you hear cars alarms that go off every once in a while. When the noise of those drunken people subsides the nearby mosque starts shouting. It just gets quieter around 5:00am

In brief, I cannot go back to that hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2010

horrible experience ! i think they have the worst food in Addis , but it's ok i can eat somewhere else !
I tried to have a coffee in the morning so i had to wait for 30 mins and it was ice cold ,it ok i'll go to a café but when the bed is bad and that my back hurts every morning that's a big NO NO ! It's a hotel for god sake . Never again went to another hotel the 2nd day
the only good thing bout the hotel is the looks !

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business