“RE; DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL.”
Review of KZ Hotel

KZ Hotel
Ranked #74 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed March 11, 2012

After this hotel resold my wife's booked and pre-paid room on the evening of the 30th November 2011, my wife, who was travelling solo, was stranded in a foreign city in the middle of the night. We still are trying to get a refund from them. Although they sold the room twice and were paid for it twice they still steadfastly refuse to refund. I repeat, DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL under any circumstances. In addition, shame on Hotels.com and Opodo UK who have been totally unhelpful in resolving this matter.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Dave G

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Wonderful staff, friendly management. Very affordable according to the location.
Clean and very safe.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank katkat94
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We spent two nights at the KZ at the end of January (2012). We saw how highly rated the hotel was on Trip Advisor, and on Hotels.com, and were looking forward to our stay. Sadly, we were pretty let down. I think the rating I give it is very accurate - average.

The service, of course, was very friendly. (Ethiopians are VERY hospitable). That does not mean, however, that they were on top of their game. Since we had booked through an internet site ahead of time, they could not find our reservation at first. We had actually booked for a Sat / Sun night, then later in the week for Wed / Thurs. Well, we found out on Sunday night that they did not have rooms for us on Wed / Thurs and they would not honor our confirmed reservation through Hotels.com.

The location is great, on basically one of the "main drags" in Addis. The rooms were very average, however. They had a window on top of the door, which let in a LOT of fluorescent light from the hallway all night - hard to sleep.

My recommendation is to stay at the hotel right next door - the Wassamar. It is a MUCH better hotel in quality of rooms and value for the money spent.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Excellent staff with great customer service. Excellent VALUE FOR MONEY, much better than Hilton/Sheraton (which is the same as all other luxury hotels in this world) Fantastic location (very safe because of Diplomatic area/everything you need within very short distance, including the airport). This location also gives you a feeling of the real city, not "an own world" inside the city!
I was indeed provided with a guided city tour with one of the best guides I have ever met (I have been visiting 102 countries), Sammy Tefara "Handy Sammy". I was so impressed by his skills, wisdom, service and proffesionalism - that after returning to Norway I have passed over this information to all tour operators with Ethiopia on the program! Here we talk about real value for money, guided city tours with better personal service at a much lower price than the two luxury hotels...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank geian
Reviewed January 5, 2012

No issues, service was good, in-room wifi was excellent (v fast/reliable), rooms clean, plug sockets took a variety of plugs. Only negatives were that the hot water didn't last long, and the breakfast was fairly basic. Airport shuttle (complimentary) was a good plus. Location was good, 3 Birr in minibus taxi into centre of town (any blue minivan works), great bar opposite (and to the left)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The good: it's very close to the airport; the restaurant is efficient and the food is good. The people working there are generally very nice.

The not-so-good: Definitely down at the heels. I stayed in 2 different rooms on 2 different stays, and both were in significant need of refreshing (major stains in rugs, etc.). For some reason the hairdryers use a USA-type plug, and in one room they did not provide an adapter so that the hairdryer would actually work; in the other room where an adapter was provided, I had to hold the plug in the adapter the entire time I was using the hairdryer so that it wouldn't disconnect.

The first room I was given featured non-functioning Internet and phone, so they moved me to another room where both worked (although I had to whack the phone on the table in order to un-stick the receiver so I could answer the phone). On my 2nd stay (on the 7th floor), the lights in the hallway didn't work at all, which was fairly creepy.

I don't have much to compare KZ to in Addis--during the rest of my time in Ethiopia I was either in the Sheraton, which is very expensive, or camping. But I did have to wonder if there was a better-value alternative than KZ in its price range.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Booking for my wife I twice contacted them by their website. Although it says they will respond in 24 hours I heard nothing. Finally managed to book and paid upfront. When my wife arrived at Bole Airport and 'phoned them they had given the room away, saying she hadn't confirmed.
Now trying to get our money back. First they say she had booked in, now they saying she didn't but can't have a refund because she didn't confirm. Book this place at you peril!

Room Tip: go somewhere else.