“First place I stayed in Addis”

Ethio Comfort Guest House
Ranked #78 of 231 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
“First place I stayed in Addis”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here exactly a year ago, and I waited this long because I wanted to see if my opinion might soften over time. It has not.

I asked to stay there a set number of days and of course was out the money when I opted to move out early. I hadn't paid ahead, but she argued she had reserved it for me. The place was empty except for one family from Germany, so I doubt it would have been rented, but that was fine. It was worth it to just pay the extra night and move out. However, I would warn that you keep track of all amounts you owe to the owner. While staying here, I did just that in a notebook, but then I wasn't outspoken enough to demand that amount. When it came time for me to move out, she quoted a fee which was much higher than I expected. I have no idea how she got that amount, but being in a strange place I hesitated to argue and look like a "cheap" American. I regrettably paid it and told myself that at least I was moving on to another place. Then I asked her to produce a receipt detailing the expenses (I ate no food there.). She asked if I had time for her to run home (a house or two away) so she could write the receipt. My taxi arrived about 30 minutes later, and she never returned.. which did not surprise me. The interesting thing is that I paid her the money (which if I remember was about $40usd too much), and after she walked away, a German family staying there said quietly to me, "We don't think we paid the correct amount the other night either." My advice is to keep track of what you owe there. Also, I would get my own taxi. While the gentleman was nice, the owner arranged it for a set price, and she insisted it was fine. I kept asking if they knew where they were going. They had absolutely no idea where I was going and we drove forever. However, they did not want to take me back and let me get my own taxi. I used it one time.

If you want a really nice hotel in Addis Ababa, I recommend the Hotel Astara. Unfortunately, I cannot find contact information for that hotel, but I have recommended it to others who were not disappointed. They knew someone in Addis who was able to go and get them reservations in person since I didn't have a phone number for it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank CoastalJen

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The Ethiocomfort guesthouse was a great first place to stay in Addis Ababa. I stayed in Addis while waiting for my newly adopted daughter's visa, we lived in Addis for 10 weeks. We stayed at Ethiocomfort for the first 4.5 weeks. It was reasonably clean and the staff were very friendly. The woman who runs the guesthouse is definitely a business woman. Although very friendly at first, I left Ethiocomfort with a different opinion. The staff really made the guesthouse - so warm and friendly. The food was good too. The security guard at the gate was very helpful and friendly.
The neighbourhood was safe and I enjoyed walking around getting to know the area. There are little stores nearby where you can buy most things. There are also some restaurants within walking distance where you can eat in or get food to go.
Downfalls:
The road the guesthouse is on is a washout when it rains. You would not want to walk on the road when it rained as the mud would REALLY stick to your shoes.
The owner of the guesthouse was a business woman. She did try to go back on a deal by attempting to move my friend from her room. This room was booked for 2 months and pre paid. As I was staying for a long stay, I learned the ins and outs of the area - where to eat for cheap, what taxi drivers were least expensive, where to buy water.... The owner and her husband sat me down and lectured me about giving tips to fellow guests. They did not want to doing this as it too money away from them. Although I see their point, tourists need to stick together. I know who much I appreciated any help I could get especially when it came to saving money!
I checked out 4 weeks early and had pre paid for the room. The owner never offered to give me back any of my money although she did rent out my room within 2 days of my leaving it!
I was on the 1st floor of rooms in a room with it's own bathroom. Although fairly clean, I ended up cleaning it myself as my daughter was on the floor to play. The bathroom did not have a shower curtain, the sink did not always work and the toilet seat was not attached to the toilet. I did mention these things and although the security guard (also maintenance man) tried to repair the sink, it was never really repaired.
There are lots of dogs in the area the tend to bark at night. Earplugs were helpful!
Would I stay there again: No but I do not regret staying there the first time. I miss the friendly staff and business people in the area (Pharez, Olive Mart).

Room Tip: Get a room with it's own bathroom (in the room). The top floor room (with ensuite) has a balcon...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JeShRu2010
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were worried about finding our way around on our trip to Ethiopia, not speaking Amharic well. EthioComfort rented us a sim card for our telephone, made us 3 meals a day when we requested, and helped us see the city, museums, and do some shopping! We had a wonderful time with their family, and the children were so much fun.

We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jenj145
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at EthioComfort for a week and a half when we were in town on business and it was fantastic. Great food, and Tsebay will go out of her way to help you with whatever your needs are. The rooms are very much like a bed and breakfast, and breakfast is included in your stay. Families and guests would gather in the living room each evening to chat. Great experience. I would highly recommend for families, couples, or anyone staying in Addis.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingMamaof3
Meadow Lake, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2011

there is everything around this place, you could stay here and walk to everything you possibly could need. internet, cafe's, restaurants, pizza, shopping, grocery stores, taxi's, etc. the reality is that everything in addis is a bit of a drive. if you want to see stuff, you have to get a driver, which can be supplied by the guesthouse, or you can get a taxi, or whatever. this is a great place to stay, very homey, excellent food. good clean rooms and bathrooms.

Room Tip: any room is a good room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank funkdubius
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Our group of 3 stayed here last week. I was very impressed with the 'personal' service that is provided. They really do care for their guests well-being. Unfortunately, we stayed in building #2, and it was noisy with the dogs out back. The owner said it was a seasonal problem, and offered to move us to building #1. We moved to Adot Tina instead.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Wonderful place to stay for our adoption travel. We felt right at home- stayed in the master bedroom with attached bath and it was perfect. GREAT food, price, service, friendly, clean, wonderful. Cannot say enough good things about this place. It was our 1st time in Africa and it was perfect- would stay there again in a heart-beat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple