“Better order by menu”

Yod Abyssinia Traditional Food
Ranked #2 of 257 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nairobi, Kenya
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better order by menu”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I like the performance of the dancers but buffet is kind of expensive which you will not eat much and easier ordering by menu.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ogatamina

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
“Good show, terrible service”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The location of this restaurants seems to bring many tourist on their way to the airport. The quality of show was good with enthusiasm of the actors. This is a buffet restaurant and usually guests are making a line for food. A group of some 15, came to the room and told to the restaurant employee that they are VIPs and will not make a line and let others go out. I was forced to be out of the line and had to wait until they are done. I protested to that group and restaurant staff but the restaurant staff did not even make an apology to me.

Visited January 2014
Ethiopia
“great cultural experience”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

An office outing and we reserved 20 places at Yod Abyssinia just off Medane Alem. At 7:30 the cultural dancing started and was very impressed with the explanation in english of what each tribal dance was about. The Guragi dance is my favourite. Our group was picked upon to dance with the dancers but that may be because we were quite generous with our donations!!

The food is a mixture of local food, salads and breads and served as a buffet which is a good idea and was delicious. My husband had rice with his wot instead of injera which he does not like much.

Definitely worth visiting and much better than Fasika which is too small in comparison.

Visited February 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“A wonderfully raucous night of music and dancing (plus dinner)”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Ethiopian food at Yod Abyssinia is fine, but the real reason to come is the incredible entertainment. Great music, singing, and dancing. We were there on Valentine's Day, along with hordes of young Ethiopian couples celebrating the holiday. A good time was had by all, with many joining in with the dancing and singing. If you're in Addis, this is the one experience you should definitely not miss!

• Visited February 2014
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
“Full dose Ethiopian experience.”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

So the place was packed when we got there. Apparently, it always is. But it was extremely worth it once we were seated. This was a full dose of a cultural and culinary Ethiopian experience. The food was fantastic and the dancers came round and got us on our feet after the dinner. I still can't believe I danced. I suppose the TEJ was more potent that I thought. :) Great place!! Will definitely visit again when I'm in Ethiopia and Addis again.

• Visited November 2013