“Cheap Beautiful & Best”

Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Mumbai
“Cheap Beautiful & Best”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Got Good Deal for Intercontinental & I stayed here for 6N/7D.It suits Your Pocket,quite beautiful & best in Town.I got upgrade to Suite also.Food was good,Location was Good.I didn't face any Problem for Commutation from This Hotel.Hotel Front Office staff was really good.Pleasing Personalities with Helping Nature.I had Excellent Stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I am not sure why the negative reviews. My room and the bathroom where in a very good shape, everything was nice and clean. Very comfortable stay. I had free internet, the food was tasty and fresh in the restaurant. I slept well and didn't hear anything from the night club. The only problem I had is that if you want to catch a taxi in front of the hotel they will charge you much more than appropriate because you are a tourist. Also, make sure that you are not charged for the airport shuttle.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Pysiu
addis ababa
Reviewed June 23, 2010

i came to stay to these hotel, through my friend's recommendation. which he has stayed there for 5 days there. the staff was nice and friendly. but there was a funky smell that was very bad. the rooms are good enough. but one problem i had was right upon checkout the receptionists took them like 1 and half hour to prepare my bill. all in all the hotel is good and i was upgraded to their junior suite, which was much spacious. what i suggest is if you are staying in these hotel make sure you get the junior suite which the price is very good from the other hotels like the sheraton and hilton .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
elysium246
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 4 nights before transferring over to the ubiquitous Sheraton. Unfortunately, the construction and craftsmanship could be improved upon in many ways. My bathroom looked like it was half-finished, with the showerhead already falling off the wall, the handles loosened, and chipping paint throughout.

The hotel is centrally located in the Kasanchis area, so while the location is ideal, the amount of construction within a 2 block radius is astounding - creating a loud and dirty environment. While you usually don't require air-conditioning in Addis, we definitely needed it all 4 nights (but alas, they didn't have it). So I slept with the windows open, but the pack of dogs down outside and other noises from the construction sites kept me up most nights.

The food was decent, and the restaurant/bar staff were quite friendly....but the front-desk staff were incompetent. The lobby is nice, the central/glass elevators gave the lobby a good touch....and the roofdeck pool is an added touch.

It's nice to see an additional hotel in Addis, but my expectations were much higher. A solid/quality 3 or 4-star hotel would do so well in Addis, and I expected the Intercontinental to meet those needs. But sadly, it falls far too short. With the continued growth of the city, I'm confident a good/quality hotel will come about - but for the time being, stick with the Sheraton even though it's far more expensive. There's also the Hilton, but just not worth the price....and all the other 4-10 story hotels popping up just aren't that great either.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Portugal
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Hotel needs to decide whether it wants to be a nightclub or a hotel. Three nights a week there is a full music blast in your room which lasts well after midnight. Also, the hotel is constructed in a way that noise made in the hotel lobby can be heard in every room. We had a meeting the next day, and our whole team had not slept! The rooms look fancy at the first glance, but then there are little things that are torn and broken. If you require a hotel where you can actually get some sleep - go somewhere else!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
KAMPALA
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We booked a month in advance for an adjoining room for a family for three nights. We paid 100% by telegraphic transfer before arrival.

We arrived a day late but the adjoining room was not available.In consolation they gave us a the Presidential Suit. It was huge but without privacy, for our children were 7 and 6.

On checking out,their system had no details of our pre-payment. Some one in Finance had to resure us by confirming payment but declined our one day refund for any percentage. Our email about the late arrival was of no help.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Upon arrival I was searched along with my belongings. Then after having my room key re-keyed, I found out that there is an annoying alarm system that goes off every time you forget to slam the door shut.
That evening, after an all day excursion around town, I came back to the hotel with a pizza and wasn't allowed to bring it into the hotel. I called for the manager (which I've never had to do before) and he told me that security actually searches for alcohol and food from outside vendors/restaurants. - "Hotel policy" is what I was told by the manager. So my initial search wasn't for peoples safety but to make sure they squeeze every penny out of your pocket. Great! Cutting corners will only drive future guests away.
Colleagues showed up to discuss what I was there for so we headed to what seemed like an elaborately decorated wine bar but without a server/bartender so we had to walk out and find another suitable lounge. The next morning, I received three calls back to back asking for me to come down stairs and settle my bill. I wanted to ask why but by then, I had given up. After I checked out and went back to where they never let you down, The Hilton, I told all our travel agent at embassy where I work, never to book anyone at the fake continental. I always stay at the Intercontinental in Festival City in Dubai, UAE and trust me, they have nothing in common. Besides the Sheraton and Hilton, I doubt any of the hotels train their staff on basic customer service and hotel management. Since most of these hotels are personally financed, cutting corners towards the last bit of the opening seems to be a must. I would never stay in one of those low budget, shinny hotels. Jupiter comes in third for me. I stayed their a few months back and it was well worth it. Great location, flexible, and great customer service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business