“A good choice for business.”

Hotel Intercontinental-Addis
Ranked #57 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times on business in Addis Ababa. The hotel offers kind and considerate staff, a relaxing ambiance, and decent food. The price is competitive for the area and for the amenities on offer. Also, their internet was working most of the time, which is rare in Addis. It's a solid choice for the business traveler.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ross V

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was in Addis Ababa to report the World Cup qualifying match between Ethiopia and Nigeria in October 2013. It was my first time in one of Africa's oldest cities and I looked forward to a warm welcome at the Intercontinental Addis.

I arrived there to find that the Ethiopian national team was lodged in the same hotel and thought to myself how lucky it was as I would be able to get exclusive interviews with the team. Unfortunately, my undoing was telling the coach that I was a Nigerian journalist from Lagos as he made every attempt to throw me out in the morning.

I started receiving calls from reservations that I needed to leave the hotel because the coach of the Ethiopian national was not comfortable with my presence. When I insisted that I had a four day booking and wouldn't leave, the lady left me alone.

About an hour later, I got another call from the same lady in reservations that they needed to use my room to accommodate diplomats attending the African Union heads of state conference. She insisted that I would be given another hotel up to the same standards of the Intercontinental.

When I refused, I was threatened with police. In that time I had gotten in touch with my office in London and my managing editor in Johannesburg who asked me to stay put and keep them informed.

Eventually the general manager of the hotel called my room and asked to see me in his office. I obliged and he explained why they needed the room - due to the Ethiopian government's insistence on lodging diplomat's in the hotel due to its safety standards.

He got a long time Nigerian resident of the city to speak to me. My compatriot informed me that it was important that I left the hotel in order to avoid getting involved in local politics.

I eventually moved out and was chauffeur-driven to another hotel called the Harmony Hotel. Here I even preferred to the Intercontinental where the carpet had cigarette stains and poor internet.

I was really disappointed with the way Intercontinental treated me. Wouldn't advise anyone to use the place as you just might be asked to leave for flimsy excuses. I found out that the other journalists from Kenya that stayed in the hotel were not given any trouble.

Such a shame.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jololade
Reviewed April 1, 2014

A wonderful hotel in which to stay while in Addis Ababa, conveniently located with all the amenities you might expect. Included with you stay is the great breakfast buffet in the restaurant just off the lobby, where you can order custom omelets and waffles in addition to the great assortment of other dishes. Great security and the staff will do their best to pamper you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gaz1941
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The true heart of this hotel is its staff. It doesn't pretend to be above its station but if judge on its staff this would be a 5 star hotel.
Its decor needs refreshing but if I had the money I would buy this hotel and invest becausethe staff would create one of the finest hotels in Africa.
Any corporation would give their right arm for staff like these, they care, they want to know what you think, boy some major companies could learn a lot from the staff here.
They really care, special thanks to Marta but they all have a smile almost as good as hers.
Look forward to my next stay. If i had a hotel in the UK I would want to employ them all.

Room Tip: Upper floors (ps they are all upper!)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JamesPAB
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is hotel does not actually belongs to the chain, but it certainly offers value for money. It’s centrally located, it offers free airport transfers and the rooms are well equipped, although a small refurbishment is needed. The free wifi operates all the time from the room (this was not the case though for colleagues who stayed at upper floors and had problems). The beds were very good. When the hotel was full there were some hot water shortages, but this was solved when the occupancy dropped. The breakfast could be improved, also the restaurant menu, but the room services dishes were very good. Finally, we visited the swimming pool but it did not look enough clean to me, plus they had a children birthday party and the place was very messy and noisy. Overall for its price, it’s a good choice, especially compared to the other International Hotels which charge the double for slightly better services.

Room Tip: Get a room at the lower floors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Nice Hotel with a shuttel service to the airport but this standard in Addis.
Internet working, Rooms like you expect from a Hotel like that. The pool on the Roof with the bar is really nice for a cold coke.
But the breakfast has to improve only the strawberry jus is really the hit. The Hotel has a big problem with its elivators becwuse from 3 was only working one. If you dont want to eat in the hotel where the food is ok you haveto take a taxi because their are no restaurants around. The hotel is based in the city but their is nothing around it only the three othr big hotels which are around the corner but more expansive. For business good for holiday a little bit unpersonal.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Christian K
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel one night while in transit in Addis. Large room with a nice view on the mountains and very professionnal staff; but the rooms would need refreshment, specially the bathroom; probably original from the 1970's. The ethiopiam meal that we had at the hotel restaurant was very good and tasty and the staff initiated us how to eat it. Thanks !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple