“What's in a name?”

Hotel Intercontinental-Addis
Ranked #56 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

As a last minute decision, I agreed to meet some friends from the US in Ethiopia. They were staying at the Hotel Ghion but it was unavailable on my dates and the TripAdvisor recommendations were not good. They were however spot on as my friends are not having a great experience there.
I chose the Intercontinental as I have only had good experiences with IHG hotels in the past. Until now. It takes the name but is not part of the Group and is nowhere near the same standard. The whole place looks tired and run down. The only upside is that the Ethiopian National Football squad were staying there. Boy do those guys eat. Constantly. Oh well, Nigeria will have them running around the park on Sunday so they will lose the weight!
I wanted a hotel with complimentary wifi in the room as I had a Skype call planned for Monday. I arrived on Sunday to find that there was no internet, wired or wifi. "The server is down and no one has internet at the moment" they informed me. "It should be back tomorrow." It wasn't and they had no idea when it would be but apparently no one else had it either. I went for a walk. Less than 50m around the corner the Radisson had full internet services. My friends at the Ghion said that they had internet too and the Hilton a few blocks away had it too. Too late for me as my Skype call had been cancelled. "Not possible" said the Intercontinental when I told them, "we use the same provider". Seems like someone has a better SLA then.
While out the next day, unbeknownst to me, my friends called to leave a message concerning confirming my flight booking that evening. I got back to the hotel. No message light on the phone. No note under the door. On the off chance, I called my friends to see what were the dinner plans and they asked if I had received the messages left. Obviously I hadn't. Called reception. "No sir, we didn't get any messages". Went to confirm the tickets but it was too late. Came back to the hotel and asked why I didn't get the messages. "Oh, when did your friends call? Let me check. Oh yes, they left two messages for you to call them urgently". One not happy guest.
That's raid, the staff, while incompetent, are extremely cheerful. The rooms, although tired, are clean. The location is good and the free shuttle to the airport was a godsend at 5am this morning.
Would I go back there? Never. Would I recommend it? If I didn't like you I might!
It is not whether you make mistakes, it is how you fix them, that counts. The Intercontinental needs to work on avoiding mistakes and fixing the ones it does make. Quickly.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. The Radisson is 50m away, has a great bar and restaurant, is fresh, new and clean...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tonyblenman

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I organized a two-week international conference at the Hotel Intercontinental Addis and stayed there with a group of 25 people in June/July 2013. The time that I spent at this hotel was great. The staff was very helpful, friendly and always inquired if all was well and if we needed anything. I must say we spend most of our time in the conference rooms but the food service (breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffee breaks) went very well - The buffet had a great variety of choices (local and international food). During my stay, I also visited the spa and the hair salon, which provided great service at an affordable price. The only issues we had were wi-fi connections which were not always reliable (but again, the staff response was great) and the business center which I think can be equipped with more modern equipment. I highly recommend this hotel to travelers staying in Addis. Special thanks to Ms. Mariamawit and her team in the Sales and Marketing Dept, Mr. Hermias (Food Manager) and staff, the friendliest Chef, the reception staff, and everyone who made our conference a success and our stay enjoyable. Sorry if I don't remember all the names.

Room Tip: For long stays, I recommend the corner suites. A little more costly but a lot more comfortable.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here for a week in August this year and was pretty impressed. We arrived from the UK early in the morning and, although our rooms weren't ready, we didn't have to wait too long and some complementary coffee certainly eased the pain!

Rooms were spacious, clean and well kept. All rooms have a mini bar (very reasonable at around £1 for a beer) and a balcony - mine had great views out over Addis and the surrounding mountains.

Pool was great. Heated, not too big but not too busy when I was there either.

Service in the hotel was good too. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

If I was lucky enough to have to go back to Addis I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2013

i had the chance to stay in the hotel several times, the hotel rooms are nice, they have a view but a building is coming up next to it so i don't know how long this view will be maintained.
the staff is super friendly and helpful whenever you need anything.
breakfast is good, and the menus is acceptable.
the lobby is suitable for business meeting as the seating gives kind of a privacy.

however wireless internet is not available in all rooms which was a major problem for me in several occasions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The swimming pool is heated and beautiful, although not too big. There's a poolside bar as well. The SPA compromises of: gym, Jacuzzi, Sauna and various services such as professional massage. There's also a very generous area where you can relax. The entrance includes of course use of a locked cabinet, towel and flip flops. Reasonable prices. I understand there are also various types of memberships available, which are indeed interesting from an economical point of view.
Divine!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank princessslisa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel was block booked for a conference for us, so we arrived with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews! We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was fine, if not exactly thrilling! The service was friendly but sketchy. The room was unlovely, but have stayed in worse! We had good linen on the beds and they were pretty comfortable, though the carpet was utterly filthy and clearly had not been hoovered between guests. The bathroom was very grotty and the water blood temperature at best. There was no way to fill the bath as the water in the evenings was stone cold and only the barest trickle! I would describe the Intercontinental Addis as the marginally superior sister hotel to the dreaded Strand Hotel in London. Adequate, brown and pretty depressing, but fulfilling a function - at a price. Can't comment on the food, but local advice concurred with those other unfortunate guests writing on Tripadvisor, so we avoided the risk and ate out.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am writing this reveiw from the hotel room. Company booked for me a corner suite. Room is very big and seems empty somehow. Furniture is decent but a bit outdated. You can see signs of age on floor tiles, windows frames etc...Bathroom has some unpleasant smell all the time. Bathroom amenities are ok.
WiFi signal in the room is quite weak so I am using the cable with my own WiFi router.
Bed is quite OK, the room seems not to have any A/C but the weather is very good this time of the year. Minibar fridge has a very distrubing noise so I had to switch it off !
Breakfast is a bit limited and not really appealing. I just had an omelette and a coffee
Things missing in the room: Bathrobe, Slippers, Centralized light switch (you have to switch off lights one by one before going to sleep)

3  Thank 3orsa-Bo9