“Great service and amazing staff”

Hotel Intercontinental-Addis
Ranked #41 of 121 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I organized a two-week international conference at the Hotel Intercontinental Addis and stayed there with a group of 25 people in June/July 2013. The time that I spent at this hotel was great. The staff was very helpful, friendly and always inquired if all was well and if we needed anything. I must say we spend most of our time in the conference rooms but the food service (breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffee breaks) went very well - The buffet had a great variety of choices (local and international food). During my stay, I also visited the spa and the hair salon, which provided great service at an affordable price. The only issues we had were wi-fi connections which were not always reliable (but again, the staff response was great) and the business center which I think can be equipped with more modern equipment. I highly recommend this hotel to travelers staying in Addis. Special thanks to Ms. Mariamawit and her team in the Sales and Marketing Dept, Mr. Hermias (Food Manager) and staff, the friendliest Chef, the reception staff, and everyone who made our conference a success and our stay enjoyable. Sorry if I don't remember all the names.

Room Tip: For long stays, I recommend the corner suites. A little more costly but a lot more comfortable.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Intercontinental-Addis

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here for a week in August this year and was pretty impressed. We arrived from the UK early in the morning and, although our rooms weren't ready, we didn't have to wait too long and some complementary coffee certainly eased the pain!

Rooms were spacious, clean and well kept. All rooms have a mini bar (very reasonable at around £1 for a beer) and a balcony - mine had great views out over Addis and the surrounding mountains.

Pool was great. Heated, not too big but not too busy when I was there either.

Service in the hotel was good too. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

If I was lucky enough to have to go back to Addis I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2013

i had the chance to stay in the hotel several times, the hotel rooms are nice, they have a view but a building is coming up next to it so i don't know how long this view will be maintained.
the staff is super friendly and helpful whenever you need anything.
breakfast is good, and the menus is acceptable.
the lobby is suitable for business meeting as the seating gives kind of a privacy.

however wireless internet is not available in all rooms which was a major problem for me in several occasions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The swimming pool is heated and beautiful, although not too big. There's a poolside bar as well. The SPA compromises of: gym, Jacuzzi, Sauna and various services such as professional massage. There's also a very generous area where you can relax. The entrance includes of course use of a locked cabinet, towel and flip flops. Reasonable prices. I understand there are also various types of memberships available, which are indeed interesting from an economical point of view.
Divine!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank princessslisa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel was block booked for a conference for us, so we arrived with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews! We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was fine, if not exactly thrilling! The service was friendly but sketchy. The room was unlovely, but have stayed in worse! We had good linen on the beds and they were pretty comfortable, though the carpet was utterly filthy and clearly had not been hoovered between guests. The bathroom was very grotty and the water blood temperature at best. There was no way to fill the bath as the water in the evenings was stone cold and only the barest trickle! I would describe the Intercontinental Addis as the marginally superior sister hotel to the dreaded Strand Hotel in London. Adequate, brown and pretty depressing, but fulfilling a function - at a price. Can't comment on the food, but local advice concurred with those other unfortunate guests writing on Tripadvisor, so we avoided the risk and ate out.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am writing this reveiw from the hotel room. Company booked for me a corner suite. Room is very big and seems empty somehow. Furniture is decent but a bit outdated. You can see signs of age on floor tiles, windows frames etc...Bathroom has some unpleasant smell all the time. Bathroom amenities are ok.
WiFi signal in the room is quite weak so I am using the cable with my own WiFi router.
Bed is quite OK, the room seems not to have any A/C but the weather is very good this time of the year. Minibar fridge has a very distrubing noise so I had to switch it off !
Breakfast is a bit limited and not really appealing. I just had an omelette and a coffee
Things missing in the room: Bathrobe, Slippers, Centralized light switch (you have to switch off lights one by one before going to sleep)

3  Thank 3orsa-Bo9
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good hotels in Addis are scarce and very costly especially when African Union meetings are taking place.Of the 3 or 4 good hotels Intercontinental is reasonable value for money.Facilities are a step down from the real Intercon chain but rooms are comfortable;breakfast is fine with friendly staff.Other food is poor and since Addis is safe to walk around best bet is to eat outside. Location is good.A major issue though is noise--its important to ask for a room that doesnt face the voltage nightclub---should be renamed "decibels"

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business