“Yes....well!”

Hotel Intercontinental-Addis
Ranked #56 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel was block booked for a conference for us, so we arrived with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews! We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was fine, if not exactly thrilling! The service was friendly but sketchy. The room was unlovely, but have stayed in worse! We had good linen on the beds and they were pretty comfortable, though the carpet was utterly filthy and clearly had not been hoovered between guests. The bathroom was very grotty and the water blood temperature at best. There was no way to fill the bath as the water in the evenings was stone cold and only the barest trickle! I would describe the Intercontinental Addis as the marginally superior sister hotel to the dreaded Strand Hotel in London. Adequate, brown and pretty depressing, but fulfilling a function - at a price. Can't comment on the food, but local advice concurred with those other unfortunate guests writing on Tripadvisor, so we avoided the risk and ate out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am writing this reveiw from the hotel room. Company booked for me a corner suite. Room is very big and seems empty somehow. Furniture is decent but a bit outdated. You can see signs of age on floor tiles, windows frames etc...Bathroom has some unpleasant smell all the time. Bathroom amenities are ok.
WiFi signal in the room is quite weak so I am using the cable with my own WiFi router.
Bed is quite OK, the room seems not to have any A/C but the weather is very good this time of the year. Minibar fridge has a very distrubing noise so I had to switch it off !
Breakfast is a bit limited and not really appealing. I just had an omelette and a coffee
Things missing in the room: Bathrobe, Slippers, Centralized light switch (you have to switch off lights one by one before going to sleep)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 3orsa-Bo9
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good hotels in Addis are scarce and very costly especially when African Union meetings are taking place.Of the 3 or 4 good hotels Intercontinental is reasonable value for money.Facilities are a step down from the real Intercon chain but rooms are comfortable;breakfast is fine with friendly staff.Other food is poor and since Addis is safe to walk around best bet is to eat outside. Location is good.A major issue though is noise--its important to ask for a room that doesnt face the voltage nightclub---should be renamed "decibels"

1  Thank steveretiree
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I got this life threatening strain of food poisoning that results in bacterial invasion of the bloodstream from food I consumed at the intercontinental. I ate a sandwich and fries at lunch, it tasted strange so I sent it back. 8 hours later I was vomiting profusely, major diarrhea, and a great deal of bone pain that accompanied it. I missed my fight to Canada as a result of this illness, as I was a. Too sick to travel and b. couldn't get medical clearance.

I had to stay for 2 extra nights at the intercontinental in Addis Ababa, purchase 2 BRAND NEW flights for my boyfriend and I since we missed ours when I was in the hospital, and buy two days worth of food, and medical bills/medication that were critical to my recovery. If I didnt take antibiotics, I could have died. The doctor determined I contacted this from the food I consumed at the intercontinental , and spoke to management at the hotel. They brought flowers, fruit baskets and said "any and all food we ordered was on the house". They also offered to take care of the nights we were staying extra because we wouldn't be staying there otherwise. SO, this is where the story gets interesting.... Days later, when we go to check out, the manager screams he isn't doing anything for us and we have to pay the entire bill. At this point, we are already out thousands of dollars, and I am still in serious recovery, and to have them not take ANY responsibility whatsoever, was devastating. In tears, we paid the $350 bill for a place we would have never stayed it they hadn't gave me FOOD POISIONING . Plus it is a shabby excuse for a nice hotel... I went to Ethiopia to volunteer with a great cause and stayed in some very low end hotels that were actually WAY better than the intercontinental. They do not care an ounce about their guests and they MAJORLY over charge ..... Please do not stay at this hotel.

6  Thank Heather D
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just spent 3 nights in this hotel (9-12th May 2013) and would not stay there again. The rooms however are clean, rooftop pool fine but the service is very hit and miss from the staff and the food is DIRE. I ended up not eating after trying curries, chicken, toasted sandwich and pizza and found all to be way off in taste and standard of how they should be.

Lobby staff very very slow. Ordered a coffee and after 45 minutes and 3 reminders to staff, I still didn't get one. The coffee machine was 20 yards away from my table!!

Nig note - this is NOT part of the Intercon hotel chain that offer a good 5 star service. This is a 3 star hotel sneekily branded as a 5 star which its clearly not.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Neil3645
Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the photos and from the first impression the hotel seems really attractive. However, underneath are some design and management failings:
- The huge auditorium/lobby that goes up to the 9th floor looks nice but acts as a channel for all the noise downstairs to emanate to all the rooms upstairs;
- Also, the lack of care and checking: combined with the fact my room hadn't been cleaned properly (minor annoyance) were the non-closing sliding doors on the balcony - thereby hearing the noise from the traffic all night!

On the plus side the staff were generally helpful and price for food was quite reasonable (£20-25 for 2 courses and a drink).

This seems to be a 5* by ticking boxes not by passion from the top - if the badge says 5* it should be!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Let be clear: this is not an Intercontinental chain hotel. They used the name and added Addis at the end. But the overall experience is quite good: spacious rooms with fully equipped bathroom and a large flat screen TV. Heated roof top pool with a nice bar and excellent gym on the 9th floor. The lobby and bar are comfortable, breakfast is ok (did not try other meals). Prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms just over the night club, sound isolation is really poor.