“Highly recommended”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa
Ranked #3 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I will definitely return to the Radisson BLU Addis Ababa and will recommend it to any colleagues traveling to Ethiopia. The hotel is new (and very clean) with modern decor. The service is friendly and efficient. I have been very pleased.

The Tomoca Coffee cafe in the lobby is amazing. Their lattes and iced coffees are fantastic. They also sell bags of beans at the same price at their main shop downtown.

There are ATMs in the lobby - I love that convenience.

There is an Ethiopian Airlines office in the lobby as well.

The wireless internet is fantastic. Very good speed - fast enough to stream video.

The satellite TV channels include many movie channels (in English, with subtitles in Arabic), BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera, plus several news channels in other languages. Several sports channels as well.

The beds and down pillows and comforters are very comfortable. The bathroom isn't very large but is very nice, glass shower, separate tub, very modern.

Hotel taxi service is $5 USD each way to the airport (note: the Radisson doesn't have a "kiosk" at the airport like many of the larger hotels (though maybe the will eventually), just look around for someone carrying a Radisson sign with your name) and approximately $10 USD per hour around the city (waiting for you and usually willing to accompany you in museums/shops). A simple one-way drop off is generally about $4 USD.

The breakfast buffet is very good - plus it includes waffles, pancakes, bacon, and eggs to order. Great pastry. Love the waffles and omelettes. The coffee is so good.

I also enjoyed the dinner buffet. Lots of good options. Very good desserts. They offer 24 hour room service, I wish the menu were a little larger (but I wish that at all hotels....). I have enjoyed all of the food I have tried and the restaurant service is very good.

The spa is nicely appointed, but I agree with previous reviewers, it could be better. I did like my eyebrow threading, but the massage was not good. In fact it was painful - I was sore for 2 days after (also my fault for not speaking up, I regretted it). The masseuse was enthusiastic and clearly following his training, but I did not enjoy it at all and left less relaxed than when I arrived. The prices are fantastic and I'd love to have a pedicure, but even for such a small price I'm afraid to be disappointed.

Drawbacks - no gift shop in the hotel (though you can buy a SIM card for your phone, phone time, and postcard stamps at the concierge desk). There is only one restaurant and one bar. It is not a large compound with multiple restaurants. There are no grounds (and no pool - though it is too cool in June to swim anyway) it is simply located just off the street.

However, I visited the Sheraton for comparison (I have never stayed there) and though I liked their many restaurant options and they do have beautiful grounds/pool, I would still prefer to return to the Radisson given how much more expensive the Sheraton is and doesn't include breakfast and internet in the room rate like the Radisson.

Room Tip: I like the side that faces the street entrance - you can see the mountains in the distance - the oth...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank JMP1123

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We've stayed in many hotels in Addis Ababa - the Jupiter, Hilton and Sheraton but was quite pleased to see that a new Radisson was going up! It did not fail us, it was beautiful, had great service, and was very comfortable. The only complaints we had were that the dinner's were not very impressive (cold french fries and a boring salad came with our rather dull main courses) and that the spa never had time for walk in's. We went to the spa 3 different times on 3 different days hoping to get a massage, manicure, facial.....basically anything they had space for but each time they said they were full. We did not see any customers and were surprised to learn that most of the rooms were empty. It wasn't that they had too many customers, in reality they just didn't have enough staff on hand. Finally, I was able to get in for a pedicure and it turned out to be the worst pedicure I have ever had. My feet looked exactly the same as when I walked in. I'm pretty sure the woman had no experience doing them as she basically spent an hour washing my feet and barely used a file or any other tool. I was very disappointed to see that I was the only person in a room set up to service at least another 6-7 people. There was no music or any sound, just the two of us in the room. They are definitely not using their spa to full potential nor are they investing in people with experience. I ended up going to the Hilton to get another pedicure. All in all, I will most definitely return to this hotel.....but I will go elsewhere for any spa treatments, luckily Addis is full of great spas.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank reviewsmatter12345
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed a single night in this hotel in mid May 2012 and it was a very luxurious experience. Staff were all impeccably professional. I'll return every chance I get.

3  Thank Matt P
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Radisson Blu is a modern, stylish hotel in the heart of Addis. The hotel has a Tomoca inside (the best coffee in Ethiopia) and a fantastic restaurant with the best buffets in Addis of international cuisine. If you are a guest in the hotel, the wireless internet is free, good and fast. If you are just visiting and don't have a room, the internet is very expensive. The spa does a decent job however the sauna is not open yet. The rooms are nice and have great modern decor. The two down sides are that their gym is very limited (a few treadmills and a machine that is supposed to do more then it really does) and their is no pool.

Although any international brand hotel is unreasonably expensive in Ethiopia, the staff is very helpful and the price is much better then the Sheraton or the Hilton.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rich L
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have spent several wonderful occasions a the Radisson Blu In Addis over the past several months and am deeply impressed by this new addition to the first rank of hotels in ADDIS. The food is excellent, the staff is welcoming, well trained and clearly there to make one's stay a memorable one. The quality of our room was impeccable, clean, well appointed and comfortable. Parking is a major issue and the set back from the street may present a security problem but all of this is out weighted by the long list of amenities offered. The General Manager is actively overseeing the operation of the hotel and his personal attention is paying great dividends. I will certainly stay here on my next visit to ADDIS.

Room Tip: Take your pick all are great! But those away from the street are a bit quieter.
3  Thank YawarMailku
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was my first time in Addis and what a great hotel to stay in. The rooms were very clean and modern. The bathroom had a tub and a separate shower. Wifi worked well and was free for guests. Breakfast was included and was delicious. It included fresh juices, made-to-order omelettes, eggs, pancakes and waffles, cheeses, breads, pastries, vegetables, fruits, yogurt, cereals, etc. There is also a coffee lounge and an outdoor seating area where you can have a drink or light meal. Best of all, the staff were very welcoming and helpful and always had a smile for you. I would definitely stay here again.

4  Thank PostTenebrasLux
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel feels like a spa in the middle of a chaotic city. Unlike the Hilton and Sheraton hotels, the Radisson gets a mix of travelers and local business persons in its restaurant and bars. The rooms are quite spacious modern, and most importantly have good wifi. The food is not the best in the city, but service is very courteous. It is expensive for Addis, but will give you a place to relax.

Room Tip: The smoking rooms on the 2nd floor have nice wood flooring instead of carpet.
2  Thank Viajeroabido