“Average”

Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Singapore, Singapore
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is still expanding as we speak. I was in the new wing and the room was good but the quality of the materials used just average. Breakfast is OK. The hotel offers free wifi, however don't count on it, you're better off getting a SIM card. The internet is down very often (not necessarily the fault of the hotel). It's a bit pricey but in a good and safe location which makes up for it. There are several restaurants and bars in the neighborhood so you don't have to eat in the hotel.

1 Thank SebastienBruggeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been here for two weeks, and one more to go. The breakfast buffet is quite tasty, and the Ras bar on the top of the hotel has a nice menu. The pool is not operational yet but from what I've seen, will be nice when complete. The spa and sauna are not what I would call "top of the line" but, acceptable. I have had the chance to see the equipment in the new gym, although it is not open yet. The equipment is top of the line. They just opened a new bar on the bottom floor, close to the elevators on the new wing side. It offers the traditional coffee ceremony. I am in the new wing and a few of my co-workers are on the old side. I have the better end of that situation. Flat screen Sony LCD TV with remote, spacious room, comfortable bed, plenty of hot water with good pressure. My only complaints are that the staff is TOO attentive, not fully understanding the "Do Not Disturb" sign, and the internet situation. I believe that the latter has more to do with Ethio Telecom than the hotel. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance, including the Beer Garden right next door. A true brew pub in the German tradition. I would stay here again not just for work but also if I were to visit on vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for the new wing!!!
1 Thank Skip C
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport which is quite impressive, check in is quite ok and the security is adequate. The standard rooms sucks. I stayed in one of the rooms, which did not have adequate ventilation, tv with no remote, no AC, and price was not just worth it. Where there are ACs they are the noisy old floor type with no remote so you have to manual put them off. This was a reap off compared to many hotels I have stayed in the neigbouring countries. The food is adequate and staff despite difficulties with English are trying hard. The old wing need a serious facelift to make it modern. If you value ventilated rooms, then this is not the best as it is sandwiched between bulding so lower rooms facing one direction are dark throughout the day...
James

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the new wing are poorly ventilated and sandwiched between buildings. Room 201...
aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here on business for 12 days. The hotel check in was done quickly despite a lot of people checking in at the same time. Free shuttle from the airport which is very close under 10 minutes to the hotel.

The rooms in the old wing, main building are dated, but adequate, the floor got wet, when you used the shower. There is a kettle with tea coffee etc. in the room. There is a free wired internet connection in the room and I never had a problem using this. Also if you are on the 6th floor as I was you got wireless too. The room was cleaned every day to as decent standard.

The laundry service is quick and efficient. Only 1 item was misplaced but they got that back within ten minutes of being informed.

The breakfast was fine with a lot of choice of cold meats, cheeses and the cooked options and there was a chef to do your eggs the way you liked them. Best part was the orange juice. It was delicious!

I ate a few times mostly room service. The food was adequate but not anything to write home about.

There is two bars one on the 7th floor. This has a happy hour each day and one on the ground floor. Both were ok and the prices very reasonable in comparison with UK prices.

The service was sometimes a little slow, and maybe the door got knocked when you had the DND sign on the door, but for the most part staff were friendly and happy to help.

Check out was quite quick and then the free shuttle back to the airport. This time on my own!

I would use this hotel again when I return to Addis, in comparison to the others its much the same but the sleep quality is better because of the location. Less noise from the street. I stayed in another hotel last time I was there and there was a pub nearby that played loud music until 3 am every night!

Room Tip: 6th floor is good if you want wireless.
1 Thank karen_n_terry
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is located in the Bole neighborhood, close to the airport.
I got a room in the new wing of the hotel. The room was nice, clean, spacious and both bed sheets and towels were very clean. The safe deposit box in my room was locked when I arrived, but the staff were helpful and opened it for me, so I was able to use it during my stay.
Despite of the construction work going on in the hotel at the time of my stay, the room was quiet and I did not hear any noise.
Cable internet was available in the room and it worked reasonably well.
Breakfast is served on the first floor - ok, but nothing extraordinary.
The hotel offers complimentary airport transfer upon request. It also provides currency exchange services at the reception desk.
There is a supermarket very close to the hotel (5 minutes walking distance, turn right as you exit the hotel and then right again).
The only minus was that they charged for mini bar twice. My co-worker, who was staying in the same hotel, checked out before I did and the hotel asked me to pay for his mini bar after he left. At that point I couldn’t check with him because he was already in the plane, so I paid only to find out later that in fact he did pay for his mini-bar upon check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here one night after I had to leave Jupiter Kazanchis which was booked. I found it adequate but, for $150/night, it should have been better. I paid less at Jupiter which was way more comfortable.

Hotel was a work in progress, as the new tower had only some floors open and others under construction. They were also working on a pool. I stayed in the new tower, after checking out an unimpressive room in the older section that was quite loud. New tower was very quiet which I really appreciated. Bed was okay. Could feel coils a bit. No wifi except in lobby. Business center has internet but you have to pay. Breakfast was okay, nothing to write home about. But they did have Nutella, which was a nice treat!

I don't really see much reason to stay here, as there are better cheaper options, but when you get booted from your hotel and have nowhere to go, this is a decent place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived late to the hotel from our way from the Omo valley.
The hotel is very big and nice. The hotel rooms are fully equipped and comfortable. First time we got rooms that were not clean although we arrived late, than they change us the rooms to rooms in the other wing that is separate from the main building. We had problems to get our luggage to room; at the end we carry them by our self. When we arrive the restaurant for dinner, the food was finished, so we wait more than half an hour to eat.
When coming to this part of the world you have to be prepared

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends