“Close to airport, but NOISY and substandard, high priced, rooms”
Review of Harmony Hotel

Harmony Hotel
Ranked #33 of 127 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My room (201) had no windows was very noisy with LOUD music from the bar and no ventilation.
No wifi only ethernet in room.
The area outside the hotel is NOT safe, pickpockets everywhere (of our small group one had his cell phone stolen, another jus tprevented having his wallet lifted.
Breakfast buffet is excellent though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Subielover

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Suite 401 was clean, and spacious but basic. Air conditioning was a pleasant surprise. The bed was a little hard though, but very quiet room! There are two TVs inside but no kid's channels. The breakfast was good and overall service was fair. I would come again to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed by myself at Harmony for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. It's a good hotel, but definitely not a 4 stars.

Great things about it: the breakfast is a buffet style, and is very good, with a lot of variety of both Ethiopian and international. Dinner is also good, and they have a REALLY good pizza (I ordered a margherita and really loved it). The room is also good, spacious, clean with a TV that has a good amount of channels, a nice desk if you need to work, a balcony. The gym is also good (not great compared to American standards), but you can do some exercise, and it's a walking distance of the Bole Rock, a great gym with an indoor pool with a great price. Location is also very good, close to the Edna mall that has a cinema, a few good stores (including a book store). There is free wi-fi in the lobby, but it's slow.

Things I didn't like: there is no wi-fi in the room, only DSL. It sucked because I have a Mac Air, and don't have the adaptor. So, I had to go to the lobby all the time to use the internet. Also, on my first day there, while using my computer sitting on the couch at the lobby, I saw a cockroach ON THE COUCH!!! Sooo disgusting.. Plus, they have a smoking floor (the 5th), and they booked me on the 4th floor. My room was REALLY smelly of smoke and because of my asthma, and the high altitude the city is located, I felt really sick and had to use my inhalator all the time!! I asked them to change the room, but people in the reception were not friendly at all! They were just not willing to help. Bottom line, I had to stay in my room because there wasn't any other one available (which I don't think it was true because another expat during my stay and he changed room!). Plus, they told me they were going follow-up with me about the room, but never did.

Overall, it was a good experience. But you can find other better options in the city paying less!

Room Tip: If you do not stand smoking, ask for a room away from 4th and 5th floors!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MarizinhaBR
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Addis Abeba can be quite a hectic place, but once you pull up into the hotel's drive, your doors are opened by finely dressed porters and voila! You are plucked from the chaos and delicately placed into the serene and class of the Harmony Hotel! The rooms and bathrooms are uber clean and they are full of all of the little amenities and accessories you could ever hope for.

Most incredibly though! After spending a week in the Omo Valley and eating food that really did not set well, it was refreshing to enjoy two incredible meals that were over-the-top in terms of quality and freshness. I thoroughly enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast buffets and am smiling while thinking about it!

I can not recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank creichmuth
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Top quality 4* hotel in Addis with excellent and good value accommodation, great food and wonderful staff. Stayed 5 weeks on business and will stay here next time. Beware the European adopters of babies -the noise from the rooms and foyer can be horrendous

Room Tip: The only problem I encountered was the couples adopting Ethiopian babies who created a noisy atmosph...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Best of all the place I visited in Addis Abeba, better than Sheraton where everyone thing is the best.
We search for nice spa in the city, there are lots of them - most place the standard isn't good but the price is the same as this hotel, we attended a wedding in the hotel after that we hooked on visiting the spa, meeting friends, relaxing with coffee etc..
its great hotel, i seen few - without the fuss its the best..
Make sure you book for Steam & Massage if you around that world.

Room Tip: excellent price & outstanding staff members too.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have stayed here several times, and like the fact that the hotel has a booth at Bole Airport, especially given that it can be challenging to get through the visa issuing, immigration and luggage arrival lines. This time, Turkish Airlines had sent my luggage to terminal one and it took time before they located it and brought it back, so it was great that I could just go to the booth in the main lobby and have them call the shuttle for me.
Arriving late at night, with a badly damaged suitcase, I was pleasantly surprised that the reception desk promptly sent up someone to help me open the suitcase; my room service meal arrived equally quickly. (Room service is 24 hours a day.) Help to sort out my internet connection was equally prompt.
Meals in the dining room are served buffet style, with a lot of variety for all three meals and it is nice to see local foods included in the buffet (along with some very nice desserts). Service in the dining room is good, as is the service in the area just off the lobby and in the Ras bar on the top floor, from which you have a good view of the surrounding area. A pleasant young woman prepared great omelets for me at breakfast.
The rooms are large; the bed is comfortable; and there is both a small seating area in front of the television and a desk with a cable connection to the internet. (There also is wireless internet in the lobby.)
The bathroom was a good size and had both a bathtub and a shower, and two large fluffy towels. (A notice says that if you are happy to re-use your towels, hang them on the rack - but, like most other hotels that have this sign, I got new towels every day whether I put them in the bathtub or hung them on the towel rack.)
The business centre is very efficient, and the young woman working there pleasantly and efficiently printed out and photocopied documents for me a number of times during my stay. There is an ATM machine in the lobby which allows you to withdraw Ethiopian birr, and there is a small shop in the lobby at which you can spend some of those birr on locally-made clothing and jewellery.
Like so many other hotels in Addis, there is a security scanner at the lobby entrance and you will have to put your bags through a scanner and walk through a metal detector. If you beep, a pleasant male or female security guard will scan you manually. The locks on the rooms are electronic, thus quite secure. I could not, however, figure out how to use the in-room safe.
This hotel seems to have some challenges in its billing department, however. After reviewing the bill and sorting out one charge that had been mistakenly charged to my room instead of to a company, I paid my bill with my credit card and was happily seated in the shuttle, ready to go to the airport, when someone came running down the stairs to tell me that I still owed the hotel for a soft drink from the minibar.
Overall, a pleasant place to stay, with friendly staff, and conveniently located near the airport.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business