“Enjoyable stopover”
Review of Dimitri Hotel

Dimitri Hotel
Ranked #62 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Helpful staff, quiet room, not a noisy neighbourhood and decent food in the restaurant, plus good wifi connections, it was ideal for my couple of days stopover, and I got see Rouget's Rail from the bedroom window, an uncommon Ethiopian endemic bird. Good value, nothing fancy but secure and pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Phil G

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have been travelling to Ethiopia for years and decided to try out the Dimitri hotel as an alternative.

I enjoyed the stay overall and would stay again.

I arrived very early in the morning and there was no early check in charge. The decor in the lobby is overpowering but comfortable.....I was given a spacious room on the main road.....very noisy...I asked to be moved and was given another room immediately facing the back of the hotel. This was much better but bring your ear plugs as the road by the hotel is busy. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

My bed was comfortable but my colleague had a different story.

The breakfast is good, very nice scrambled eggs and the restaurant for evening meals also provide nice food and a good selection with reasonably fast service but there is not atmosphere in the restaurant. The location for my business was fantastic but if you are a tourist it is slightly out of the way. The checkout process took FOREVER.... that is standard at every hotel in Ethiopia...so as long as you are prepared for that it is ok. The hotel did not have many other guests which made it nice to stay there, however I think if it was full they may find it very difficult to cope.

Positive points, nice staff, good food, homely atmosphere

Negative points are that there is no safe in the room and there is no lift and some rooms are noisy.

Room Tip: ask for room not facing the road
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Glen F
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was a pleasure staying at the Dimitri. The room was large and very comfortable, staff was terrific and the food was very, very good. I am looking forward to staying at the Dimitri again the next time I am in Ethiopia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank timothyd l
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thank you Madam Dimitri and your staff! My room was clean and the staff very friendly and responsive to my requests. As a business traveller I appreciated the very fast Wi-Fi network, not only in my room but in the lobby too. While there maintenance was being done on other rooms.

Would not only recommend this property to others, but I am making it my new home in Addis.

Bert

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Bert R
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have been travelling to Ethiopia for about six years. They offered a LIMITED selection of what was on the menu. They kept trying to charge me extra for taxi fees after dissuading me from using my regular driver. They went through my room the last day I was there. One day the manager stole money from the ladies behind the front desk as they were counting it. If we had conversations in the hotel with other guests the owner would eavesdrop. The hotel is not located near any markets, shops, etc. Although the room was clean there was a foul odor that filtered through the room if we placed the shower mat over the drain. There was no buffet at breakfast as guaranteed. I have to say I am also in question of the positive reviews.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
13  Thank Lynnst M
Dimitri H, Manager at Dimitri Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

our staff regrets that your stay was not satisfactory.

We would like to provide clarifications to the issues you pointed out.

- Not all items in the restaurant menu are always available. Certain types of fish, vegetables and fruits can be found in Ethiopia during specific months of the year.

- Guests are free to use any transportation means they deem appropriate to their needs. The hotel only provides a courtesy service of booking taxis, on behalf of the guest, if an airport pick-up or drop-off is requested. The hotel makes sure the price for such trips is fixed and the guest should settle those fees directly with the driver, not the hotel. Fee amounts rarely are published in our website booking engine and at the hotel's front desk. Again, this is an optional courtesy service.

- Please be more specific in what you mean by “went through room.” Were any personal items missing or misplaced? Did you file a complaint with management? We take such incidents seriously and would appreciate your cooperation in investigating eventual wrongdoing.

- While the minutiae of how we run our cash registers is not useful to TripAdvisor readers, the gravity of your statement of theft by staff casts an unduly negative image on us. Please note that cash register reconciliation is a procedure carried out regularly in any type of business.

- The owners of the hotel are only rarely available at the property. When they are, they make an effort to engage with customers to find out if they are satisfied with their stay and if there are any problems which they can help solve. You might have mistaken this effort as “eavesdropping.”

- Shops, bars, restaurants and clubs are located at a few hundred metres walking distance from the hotel, in the direction of the roundabout, on CMC road. We believe this is an advantage in that there is no constant traffic and noise directly outside the hotel to disturb our guests.

- Stagnant water in a shower can have an unpleasant smell and we apologize if this was persistent, but it is a matter of ventilating the bathroom.

- The hotel provides continental breakfast and make to order, not buffet. If you read “buffet breakfast” in a website or brochure, please let us know where so that we can correct this information.

We invite all guests to point out any issues during their stay. Management is eager to make sure you have a comfortable and positive experience, so that you can recommend our property to friends and family.

However, we also understand that our hotel is not appropriate for all types of customers and that some expectations might not be met.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

It is hard to define this place as a hotel. Never seen a hotel with parking lot only for 5 cars. The tented outdoor sitting place is worned out and during rainy season it leaks everywhere. You are left with three sitting place at the entrance where you risk not receiving any services. The waiters can not see you sitting outside until you run inside and shout out for a service. When you enter the hotel you see two sitting areas, a reception, restaurant, bar, all in one place which makes the place too dark and over crowded.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Borana N

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our property.

Parking space inside the compound is limited and reserved for room guests. The street just outside the compound provides plenty of unmetered parking space though.

The gazebo is actually off limits to guests, as it is being renovated. We shall put up a sign to this effect, to avoid any confusion.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We spent a night at Dimitri Hotel for a transit from Dar-Es-Salaam to Rome. It was a great experience.
The hotel is clean and the room comfortable, but the greatest thanks goes to the staff.
Extremely friendly and helpful. We had dinner at their restaurant, too...very good!Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple