“Castelli Restaurant”

Castelli Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 257 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Castelli Restaurant”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

For the hype this restaurant had in the Lonely Planet and on trip advisor i was largely dissapointed after eating here. The service was not too shabby, but the menu food was alongside things i have eaten elsewhere, and i did not find it stood out. The buffet food in the foyer turned out to cost a bomb considering the rest of the menu, and the boss in reception would not let us book a table without an ethiopian number, which we did not have. The opened the doors on two nights at 7.10 normal time, considering they say they are open from 7.00. It was rather average compared to some of the other restaurants in Addis.

1 Thank emcrawley

• Korean first
Israel
“Good Food - a bit expensive”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I had a business dinner in June at this restaurant.
This is a classic Italian restaurant with an Italian cuisine.
The food is not exceptional, but in lieu of alternatives in Addis - it is great. I tried a steak and was quite disappointed, but the starter dishes were good and since we shared everything we always had a chance to find something we liked.
tel 0111-563580 or 0111-571757

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Manny K
London, United Kingdom
“Not so good.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Addis for a few months.

Everyone raved about this place when i was in ethiopia. So my wife and I decided to visit as you do, caving into peoples expectations on what do whilst in Addis.

When we first tried to make a reservation, the person asked my name and then said they were full. (strange) . we called again but this time via the hotel. AMAZING we got a booking!!

When we arrived, we mentioned our booking and the manager of the place said we were wrong and there was no place for us. He then said something very rude in italian to us. Little did he know i actually studied in Italy for one year. I played ignorant smiled. was about to leave when a nother member of staff asked for our names and said he had the booking.

At this point, my wife and i thought, lets just try. We have nothing else to do.

Food was decent, starters were good but overpriced and the pasta was nothing to write home about, nothing as spectacular as people have geared it up to be. The deserts however are very good. we have a slecetion of around 4.

All in all, its good if you have no other plans.

Service however in my experience is very very bad, the manager has some issues and really brings the place down. Its hard to give this any more then 2 stars after the service.

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank Rajan S
Manama, Al Manamah, Bahrain
“Billed as a very good restaurant but does not live up to expectations”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Castelli is described by many as the best Italian restaurant in Addis Ababa. I must admit that my dining experience was tainted by the fairly negative experience upon arriving at the restaurant. As you enter the restaurant you will meet a gentleman who presides over the bookings. I understand that this gentleman is the owner. We had a booking but it felt as if we were assessed by the owner before we were allowed to enter. This didn't leave a good impression on me and I don't think there was any need for such rudeness. Moving on to the dining experience this wasn't bad, the food was ok and the service was fine. Sadly, not as good as I was told and I won't be going back again.

3 Thank Paul M
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“buono, ma...”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

In the suggested restaurant list of my hotel, there was a sentence: Castelli, one of the best african restaurant according to CNN.
I said, i must try it.
Anyway it was quite a deception.
The mix of antipasti was heavily overpriced (be careful!).
The pasta was good.
Service: standard, nothing special.
Last point: next time, i'll go elsewhere.

2 Thank kirghi