“Very good Mediterranean food in Addis”
Review of Aladdin Restaurant

Aladdin Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 282 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I've been to Addis quite a few times, but have somehow missed out on Aladdin - until this past trip!

The hummus was good - not mouth watering, but very good. The naan was also good, and the shish kebabs were a solid choice. I cannot remember the name of the pastry-like fried cheese dish we ordered, but it was also solid.

It was the first time I've had Mediterranean food in Ethiopia, and I will be going back!

The atmosphere was very peaceful, and the location is good being close to so much in the Bole area.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I will admit, this review would have been higher if I hadn't gone to Enya's Mediterranean before I had a chance to write it. This was my second visit to Aladdin in the last six months. The atmosphere is really great and the menu very comprehensive. I was alone and focused on mezze, ordering hummus, greek salad, and the kofteh. The hummus as always was very good and the kofteh was ok. The greek salad was mostly tomatoes, but since I was by myself I was able to pick through for the cucumbers, feta, etc to have a balanced salad with lots of tomatoes leftover.

I didn't order any alcohol, but overheard the French couple next to me be amazed and unhappy that red wine was not available by the glass and they had to settle for white. i guess they were out of red when I was there. Also, I was really disappointed to see a 15 birr charge for pita on my bill when I had paid 65 birr for hummus as a mezze. Seems like an unnecessary charge, especially since I didn't specifically order it. Anyways, it would not stop me from coming back as I really like this place and what it offers.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was taken to the Aladdin on Monday night by a friend, who recommended it. It is located down a dark road, but once you get inside, you find a welcoming atmosphere. The restaurant was busy when we arrived, which I took for a good sign. My friend did all the ordering, which consisted of a number of different platters. The food was very good, tasty, fresh and the service efficient and unobtrusive. I am not familiar with restaurants in Addis Ababa, but I would definitely rate this one a "must visit".

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food is excellent, differentes mezes, tasty. You wouldn't think there is such a good restaurant behind the gate looking to the street scene. It is just off Bole road. Definitly a recommendation when you in are in Addis for tourism or for business.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Aladdin is slightly off the Bole road. We were impressed by the classy feel of the place. Food was good, even by western standards. We had 5 meze dishes between the two of us and 4 were very good and just the baba ganoush was average. We also had an Egyptian dish, falafels, meat pastry, and cheese dish. Ice cream barg dessert wasn't too bad either. All in all well worthwhile going to. Food in Ethiopia doesn't get much better than this, even if it isn't traditional food. Will be back for sure.