“perfect place to start with”
Review of Ras Hotel

Ras Hotel
Ranked #93 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
New Delhi, India
“perfect place to start with”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Ethiopia does not attract that many turists and Addis does not have a good reputation. In that regard I was very pleasantly surprised with the good quality and services offered by Ras hotel. it is that kind of place you immediately feel comfortable with as tehy know what they are doing, prices are very reasonable, location is good and all kind of travelers stay there. Rooms are very clean and bathrooms have been renovated. The breakfast is not very good but remember where you are.... Alltogether Ras is a very pleasant hotel to start your holidays with

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank senvatenguerre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed at the Ras Hotel at both ends of my three week trip to Ethiopia. The staff were not overly friendly, but I felt that I was getting treated fairly and equally with the African travelers, which isn't always true for an American tourist. My first room was almost "too nice" with two double beds, a shower with a door (a rarity in Ethiopia) and tons of hot water. To save money I downgraded but that room was fine as well. The hotel and rooms overall are not that pretty, and things are rough around the edges, but no worse than anywhere else I stayed and to be expected.

I really appreciated the in-house restaurant and Internet cafe as I got my bearings and started exploring the city. I also liked the lobby mix of local business people meeting for lunch, western tourists, and African travelers, including the national soccer team of Chad. Some Peace Corps volunteers I meet in Mekelle told me that the PC puts them up at Ras Hotel and that that is also where their own families stayed when they came from the States to visit.

Overall a nice place to start my visit and a comfortable place to return to on my way out of the country.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank erinboulder
Duluth, MN
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Ras hotel certainly has it's issues of functionality, but if you are on a budget, and understand that standards may be lower than you might expect, the Ras will suffice.

It's worth paying $10 more to get one of the upgraded rooms on the 2nd floor. You are still not guaranteed hot water, but you may get lucky. Non-upgraded rooms will sometimes mean no water, toilets that don't flush, and standing water in the bathroom because of drains that don't drain.

Good stuff...
1. You can get an amazing massage there for about $12. Well worth your time and $ after a long flight.

2. If you are looking for a great, personalized city tour, try to find George Getachew, the taxi driver. We call him "Tall George." He stations himself outside of the Ras. For about $40 (500 Birr) for up to 3 people, he will be your personal driver, guide, body guard, and purchase negotiator for the whole day. We had a terrific day with him and recommended him to others that we had toured with - and they had great things to say about their day as well. His English is terrific, and he will give you a little Amharic lesson! Very trustworthy. His Cell # is 0912-36-58-90 and e-mail is "temasami@gmail.com. Tell him the Japanese- American sisters recommended you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
North Devon
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at thishotel on our first night in Ethiopia- we were tired and suffering from jet lag so to be quite honest the Ras Hotel was a bit of a shock. However the food was good- massive portions at an almost non existant price. The rooms were standard and what you can expect from a developing country- everything was clean although not as clean as hotels in England- but this is to be expected!! Considering the Ras was in central Addis it was very quiet and peaceful. The staff helpful! The Ras being in Ethiopia was fantastic! In a country as beautiful as this does it even matter the standard of the hotel- you will be living in luxury compared to many native Ethiopians!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank c-molly-c
Berkeley
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We stayed in a renovated room and it was really nice and comfortable. The price is very reasonable, given the overall quality of the service and the excellent location. The breakfast is very good. The premises are outdated, but I didn't find that a problem.
Best hotel I have ever stayed in Addis Ababa for the last 10 years.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Penitent
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Good location if you are going out or are familiar with the city. Buffet Breakfast included. No Foreigner rate- popular with Ethiopians and NGO's. Food is decent and not "overly" overpriced-but it's not the Sheraton or the Hilton. Nice Patio and hot water/generators available. It shields you from the electric and no water days as best as possible. Quiet enough for sleeping. A bit run down compared to other RAS hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I stayed there with a small group. We got the manager of our tour company to contact them on our arrival day and request that all the rooms has hot water and that any water heaters be switched on - we had been camping in Awash and had a tight schedule on the night we arrived in Addis. About half the rooms had no hot water, and it was clear that nobody had done anything about checking to make sure they had. Maybe this was in part due to the fact that they could not get into the rooms in the first place as some of the key cards were not working. These were their 'new' rooms.

The following day we spent sightseeing out of Addis, and had requested that the water problem be fixed. It was not and again nothing had been done - and this time when we arrived none of the key cards worked. The manager, who by this time I had taken an intense dislike of, was clearly lazy and incompetent. They had sent the hotels maintainance man up to the rooms a few times (and from talking to other guests he was clearly very busy) but he was of no use. Eventually after getting very vocal, the outside contractor turned and fixed the problem in about 10 minutes.

The whole place had a very run-down feel to it and was very dirty. My room was not cleaned at all (just the beds made up) during the day we were away, and the packed breakfast they gave us was inedible. On the first night I went to the bar and asked for a drink to take up to my room. The several people behind the bar were adamant that I had to call room service from my room for that. I went to my room (4th floor, no lift) only to find there was no phone! I was due too stay an extra night after the group went home but I checked out and went to the Global Hotel (great place) and this was despite the manager offering me first one, then two nights freee accommodation.

Iif you want to experience the art deco charm of the place, then call in for a drink but there are much better places to stay in Addis foor that price.

• Stayed November 2009