“Worst hotel that I have ever stayed in: had bag searched by male manager”
Review of Ras Hotel

Ras Hotel
Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Sydney, Australia
“Worst hotel that I have ever stayed in: had bag searched by male manager”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed in the RAS hotel for 6 nights prior to commencing a group tour departing from that hotel. I have travelled extensively to over 60 countries (including 15 in Africa) and can say that without a doubt this is the worst hotel experience that I have ever had.

The room (top floor) was adequate, although my shower did not work (and was not fixed even though I told reception several times) and the beds were so old and broken that I sunk right down into the mattress. The breakfast was lacklustre, consisting of a small selection (1 or 2) of ethiopian dishes, injera, and stale white bread without condiments.

My biggest problem with this hotel, however, was the attitude of management when something went missing from my room. I was travelling with a small travel pillow (essential for me as I was about to undertake 3 months of camping throughout Africa, and these things are difficult/impossible to buy once in Africa). On the morning of my last day there I realised that it had gone missing from my room, and, as my bed linen had recently been changed from both beds (despite much of my clothing being organised on the second bed that I was not using), I suspected that it had been caught up in the linen change and, in all likelihood, its disappearance was an innocent mistake. I spoke to several people at reception about this, and explained what it was and what I thought had happened, and asked them to check the laundry for this pillow. The response I got from a friendly female staff member was helpful as she seemed to understand what I was saying, but told me later that evening that the maids had said that it was in my room.

After searching my room yet again and concluding that the pillow was definitely missing, I went back to reception to ask them to keep an eye out for the pillow as I would like to have it returned to me if found. At this point the whole situation progressed from me being frustrated and a bit annoyed to me feeling humiliated and angered. The male manager who I spoke to on this second occasion was extremely defensive and he accused me of hiding my own pillow in order to create a hassle. What a ridiculous accusation! He then told me that he would sort out the situation by finding the pillow for me in my room. He, and another male staff member, then went up to my room and searched through all of my belongings, including the underwear section of my bag. As a 20-something year old female travelling alone I found it extremely uncomfortable, inappropriate, and a little bit threatening being alone in my room with two male staff members sifting through my intimate garments because they somehow thought that it was more likely that a guest would "steal your own pillow" than that a pillow would accidentally get taken out with dirty bedlinen.

Additionally, the WIFI was virtually unusable for 4 of the 6 days that I stayed there. The only times that I could get it to work at all were between 12am and 6am (something that I discovered due to jet lag).

There are so many far superior hotels in Addis for equivalent prices. My friends stayed at the AG Palace hotel for the same price as we were charged at RAS and it was so much nicer - friendly staff, clean and modern rooms etc.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank EricaL1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seattle
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were a group of three siblings staying at the RAS while visiting Ethiopia. The rates were 700 BIRS for a room with 2 single beds, the showers were nice but one of the rooms had no water pressure the other had great pressure. The WI FI in the lobby was pretty good but in the rooms it was not useable at all. The rooms were nice but noisy as there was a hall next door that they hold prayer groups in and there is a lot of loud singing. Maybe if you got the other side of the hotel it would be quitter. Food was good and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side maybe quieter the ones on the other side are noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JOHNG48
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed 2 weeks (Nov. 2013) at Ras Hotel, Churchill Av.: Good location, close to Mesqal sq, Bole and Piazza.
Cheapest rooms on ground floor, 300birr/17$, simple but clean, there is rarely warm water in the shower, if you are lucky sometimes in the afternoon...but it's neither really cold. Insist if you want one of those (they prefer to sell the more expensive ones). Rooms from #1 – 20 are on the sunny side (very worthwhile), above #20 to the north and the parking, feels much colder. It's very silent at night, but be prepared to get up before 8am - room service starts knocking on the door. During the whole day the maids keep coming in your room/chatting in the corridors.
It's very safe though, the maids are honest and friendly; so never fear for your belongings being stolen out of your room! Breakfast buffet caters to the Ethiopian guests (which is the majority in Ras); for international taste it's limited to scrumbled eggs and white bread…
Reception staff is not overly friendly, but correct. One guy who behaves like the boss is to avoid; he's sth between suspiscious and straight out hostile. Better choose a moment when you see a woman sitting on the right side (people in charge for reservation/rooms/money). English language skills of all the staff are very basic.
Restaurant ok, nice in the evening, when you are tired and hungry and don't want to go out anymore...Meat dishes are better than pasta (very lame, carbonara is horrible).
Finally I moved up to Taitu hotel...and I felt much more comfortable there!! Conclusion: go to Taitu right away! : ))

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Christoph O
Muelheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Located at churchill road.shopping and bank just around the corner. Not. Far from airport. Fare not more than 200. Birr. The hotel is total old. The rooms are poor. Rooms at 1 first have problems with rats above the rooms. You can heare the running. Shower mostly warm. Intrnet available. Local tour office at. The ground. Food in the restaurant ok. Early bird breakfast possible.
For 1 night before starting a tour ok. Sightseein points. With taxi not far. Addis has a traffic problem always busy. With bad road conditions takes time to reach sightseeing points

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank manuela r

Travelers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The more expensive rooms are adequately furnished and have hot water, though they could be cleaner and noise can be a problem. Small black and white tvs with poor reception. All a bit ramshackle and badly in need of an update. Centrally located.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The Bradt guide is very positive about this hotel; I wonder if the authors actually stayed the night... Our room (€30!!) looked ok at first sight, but we soon found out that we had no hot water. The staff was not really helpful and we had to wait quite a few hours untill we finally got water that was slightly above room temperature. The staff was unwilling to simply give us a different room. Additionally, the room seems to be teeming with cockroaches. I strongly encourage people to stay at one of the clean, better valued hotels in Addis.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank MarkB87utrecht
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Ras is pretty cheap...about $30 per night. It's very central, the breakfasts are decent enough, and it's reasonably clean. That's the good news. The bad news is that you will probably find a cockroach or two in the bathroom. Also in the bathroom the shower may work well or you may get a dribble of lukewarm water. If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. The bed is circa 1960 with a pillow to match. It's not an unreasonable place for the rate, but if you can afford it, I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: The second floor Mandela wing is good...I'd recommend overlooking the parking lot at the back ra...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business