“Two very different hotels”

Jupiter International Hotel - Bole
Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Brussels, Illinois
“Two very different hotels”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

It seems there are two jupiter hotels - and from what I gather the difference in quality between them is huge. The one I stayed in - The jupiter international - is far too expensive for the quality you are getting. The bathroom was horrible. There was a constant layer of water in the shower, already there prior to my arrival. When I complained about this and asked for a different room or atleast a discount on the rate it was like talking to the wall. Never again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sabun S
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for caring enough to share your thoughts a year after you last stayed with us. While we would have wished for a more positive review we do welcome and try to learn from those reviews that are not flattering. Based on your descriptions we suspect that you may have been booked in a room that was out of order, something that should never happen. We truly regret that. We wish you had brought the issue to the attention of management who I am certain would have resolved it to your complete satisfaction. It's a year later now and we would like to think that we are an even better hotel now with much improved rooms and better quality control systems. Never again is simply too long, please give us another opportunity to prove ourselves worthy of your trust again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I arrived at the Addis airport after midnight and, due to a miscommunication, no one was there to pick me up. Unable to contact the person who was supposed to meet me, I checked-in at the Jupiter for the night. Within an hour, the Jupiter staff had helped me contact my missing ride and I was picked up by him at the hotel. Even after all the trouble I had put the hotel through (picking me up from the airport, checking me in, exchanging my US dollars for Ethiopian Birr, showing me to my room, helping me contact my ride, etc.) the hotel refused to charge me for any of its services.

Although I didn't spend the night at the Jupiter, I did spend some time in one of its rooms. I'm very sure I would have been completely comfortable to have stayed there during the entire time I was in Addis.

I sincerely thank the Jupiter International Hotel staff for their hospitality and help when, late at night and far from home, I was faced with a very distressing situation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Doug W
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your kind words. We are happy that our colleagues at Jupiter International Hotel were able to assist you locate the people you were looking for. We realize that being away from home can cause anxiety and that a friendly gesture can reduce the level of anxiety. At Jupiter we firmly believe that you are a guest even if you are not staying in our Hotels
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed one night in the Bole Jupiter, close to the airport. Friendly and good service, good room, nice restaurant and little business center. Nothing to complain about. I would go there again.
I have no idea how the other Jupiter is, but I think they should be treated separately here on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank LarsEriksson
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The price was a bit steep but the services were top knotch. The reception smiles and will help you with any questions you have. The room was a bit battle worn and the construction around makes for some noise but this is no fault of the hotel. I would recommend it for safety, kindness, and that perfect steam room at the end of the day.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank 237AUSA
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for taking time to offer us your opinion. We value it and work hard every day to offer our guests good value.
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Jupiter's best feature is surely its staff, who are extremely accommodating and efficient. The restaurant's food is also quite good (try the Ethiopian dishes), and the bar area has wifi free for guests and customers. There is also a very good live band on weekends, which makes for a convenient and enjoyable evening.

But note that there is little to no soundproofing in the hotel, and that there is ongoing construction both inside the building and in every direction surrounding it. From one room (whose view was entirely obstructed by an enormous HVAC system), we heard honking and shouting from the traffic downstairs and hammering from within the hotel. Our request for a room change was fulfilled immediately (and courteously), and the second room was better insulated from the traffic sounds. Still, we were able to clearly hear conversations from nearby rooms, clanging water pipes, and a metal detector beeping from several floors below. The band's entire set is fully audible from within the rooms.

That said, Addis is growing at a breakneck rate, and construction is everywhere. The Jupiter is reputedly one of the best hotels in the city, leading me to assume that most or all hotels in the area will be similarly noise-afflicted. Our hotel outside Addis also lacked soundproofing, so perhaps it is not yet a common building feature.

The noise issue aside, our stay was very comfortable, and we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R071
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

On our trip to Addis Ababa, we based ourselves at this hotel as we did a few day trips here and there. The staff are so professional, some with a great sense of humor. The place is very clean and well run. There are great airport transfers (make sure you book them in advance). The breakfast is up there with other 5* western hotels, it's brilliant, the lunch and dinner menus can be a bit dry. The rooms are lovely, tvs with fox, hot showers, clean towels, comfy beds. Wifi in all rooms and in the bar and restaurant area. It's a great place! I'd recommend it for all ages!

Room Tip: complimentary bottled waters every day. wifi in every room. hot showers - wait for them to warm up...