“Wonderful trip - Ethiopia is stunning”

Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours
Ranked #18 of 143 Tours in Addis Ababa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours has worked with clients from all over the world. We have more than five years of experience in organizing and hosting tours in Ethiopia.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Last summer we did 3-4 day tour to Erta Ale and Danakil. Gold was very well organized and knowledgeable with excellent service level (we have talked to several agencies and by far this one was the best). We had private driver and vehicle with AC. Everything was very well organized and nature is just breathtaking - perhaps once in a lifetime experience. We hiked an active volcano at night and slept over night on top of it. At night we went down to the crater and saw lava lake. In the following days, we also visited Danakil depression (second deepest point on planet) with acid lakes. Then we proceeded to see salt flats and on the last day, on the way bak, we took a "shower" in the nearby waterfall.Thanks to the whole team for this great experience!

Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2018

Dear travelers, thanks so very much for taking your precious time to write and share us your experiences. We really appreciate your witness's about our services and we look forward to seeing you all over again:). Gold

All reviews
"lakes"
"hiking"
"axum"

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

A country of many facets and certainly my week in northern Ethiopia was completely different to the south! Gold (his name) organised the whole two weeks and everything went mostly to plan - not forgetting this is Africa...
Travelling in the north involved flying and driving between places and I loved everywhere I visited. The driver and local guides were very helpful, kind and knowledgeable. Getting the most of the week, it was great to have all the accommodation, travelling and local contacts organised so efficiently. Gold checked every day that all was good and if I wanted some adjustments he went out of his way to organise. Although wanting more “alone” time was a little unusual for them :)
In the south, be prepared for an adventure (and get a car with air con if you find 35c hot!). I had a great driver and again great local support through Gold. Visiting tribes and people outside of the “tourist” trail was made possible and I ll never forget the great welcome and authentic experiences.
Tips
- go for minimum mid-range accommodation as it is still pretty basic - everywhere was clean and comfortable (not Africa hotel in Aksum)
- Food was great everywhere and don’t forget to try breakfast at the many side road coffee places - ask for a pastry and see what you get :) it varies but always delicious
- try sprice at Topoca in Addis

I’d thoroughly recommend both the country and Gold and his team!

Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Dear travelers thanks so very much for taking your precious time to write and share us your experiences. We really appreciate your witness's about our services and we look forward to seeing you all over again:). Gold

Reviewed February 28, 2018

We cannot praise Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours highly enough. We have travelled to 110 countries but we have rarely had such a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable trip. Gold and his team were characterful, knowledgable, friendly and hardworking, and each of the places we visited was fascinating and rewarding. The hotels varied in comfort, as you would expect, but we ate well (and safely) throughout the trip, and there wasn’t a single day that wasn’t filled with interesting and exciting experiences. We had organised it that we would be travelling on our own, with a Golden Gift guide in each place of visit. There were too many highlights to list - indeed the holiday was a continuous sequence of highlights. Thoroughly and enthusiastically recommended.

1  Thank h0eymp

Reviewed February 11, 2018

I spend most of January travelling in Ethiopia and what a fascinating and wonderful country it is. The first 10 days were with a small group, travelling in the remote tribal areas in the southern Omo region, with Gold as our tour guide. It was a remarkable experience visiting peoples, little touched by the outside world and still retaining most of their unique customs and traditions. Gold knew many of the tribal chiefs and peoples and it gave us a unique opportunity to visit and engage with six different tribes..... language was no barrier to some community dancing, singing and playing with some of the kids and adults!

I had kept my options for the second part of my trip open but after being in the south, I was absolutely clear that I waned to visit the northern part of the country. I spoke to Gold who was very positive and enthusiastic about organising a trip to the north for me. We talked over my priorities, Gold arranged it and it was perfect!

After spending an amazing time at Timkat in Addis with friends, I flew to Bahir Dar and was met at the airport by the delightful Getachew in a fabulous 4 x 4 and driven to my hotel in the town, feeling like a VIP! From there we headed to Lake Tana with it's crocodiles and hippos, and the amazing Ura Kidane Mihret church. On to Gondar and then the fabulous Simien Mountains where I had a couple of days hiking with Abeba, the first woman guide in the Simiens. Axum, Lalibela and Harar followed and
at each new place I was met by a local driver and guide, all of whom were very friendly, knowledgeable and kind and all spoke very good English. Each guide lived in the town I was visiting and I benefited enormously from their extensive local knowledge and contacts. Gold had planned the tour extremely well, I was met on time at each new destination, the hotels and restaurants were very good and the trips included all the key sites and landmarks as well as a few less well known options......like sitting with the hyena man outside Harar and next thing feeling two great paws on my shoulders!

Gold was in regular contact with my guides, checking that all was going well and I knew that if anything untowards were to happen, he would be there to deal with it.
Gold is very knowledgable and passionate about his country and people and this transmits in his enthusiasm and love for the work he does. For me, it was a perfect combination of travelling in the south with a small group and then having the flexibility to create exactly the trip I wanted in the north. I would highly recommend Gold as a tour guide, as a trip planner and organiser and as a wonderful host in his country.

1  Thank KateC123_123

See more reviews
Reviewed January 30, 2018

We’ve just returned from a 10 day Peregrine tour of the north of Ethiopia. Worku (Gold) was our guide. We had the bonus of seeing some of the Timkat celebrations in Addis, Bahir Dar and Lalibela, not part of the tour.
Worku’s enthusiasm and love of his country was continuous and more than obvious. He was eager to relate his upbringing having been on the street as a child but given an opportunity to alter his life. He is very proud of his achievement.
His knowledge of the history of Ethiopia and facts about each site was impressive and unfailing which often superseded that of the local guides who specialise in their area. He seemed to have a bank of contacts and friends wherever we went and managed to get us up front for a good view of TimKat. At the end of the tour, we had an extended private tour in Addis to the National Museum, Tomoco’s Coffee House, with the delightful Tiatu Hotel thrown in, all remarkably with car parking waiting for us at each stop, not possible doing it using taxis.
His timekeeping was good and organisation worked. We weren’t always told the exact details of the day, but this could have been because he played it a bit by ear to suit how the programme progressed during the day.