“Experience of a lifetme”

Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours
Ranked #18 of 145 Tours in Addis Ababa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours has worked with clients from all over the world. We have more than five years of experience in organizing and hosting tours in Ethiopia.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 29, 2018

Just when you think you've seen it all you end up in a part of the world that time forgot, The Lost Tribes of Ethiopia. This trip will leave you with the most amazing memories. Our guides name was Gold, a wonderful young man who was eager to share his love and knowledge of the country he is proud of. Everywhere you went people had such respect for him and greeted him with genuine warmth and friendliness.

We wish him every success in his future as a tour guide. He is open to learning more in this field and take on board any positive suggestions you may have to ensure and enhance you have a great time.

Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Dear travelers thanks so very much for taking your precious time to write and share us your experiences. We really appreciate your witness's about our services and we look forward to seeing you all over again:). Gold

All reviews
"lakes"
"hiking"
"axum"

Reviewed January 27, 2018

My tour guide Worku (a.k.a. Gold) has shown our group the best that Ethiopia can offer. We started in Addis Ababa, where I was able to experience how Ethiopians celebrate Epiphany. Not to forget, we visited Lucy, one of the first human beings on earth. Another highlight was the Trinity Church. Then we had a cultural night at a restaurant, where I was introduced to the culinary delights of Ethiopian food. I must warn anyone that it's very easy to get hooked on it. Meanwhile, I was entertained with some national music and dances. During this journey I have seen the most beautiful landscapes at Bahir Dar's Blue Nile falls. Gold also took us to the magnificent Monastery of URA Kidane Mehret. That evening Worku surprised us with sunset drinks, it was great moment to wind down while enjoying the evening. Next day, on our way to Gonder, Worku planned to do some stops to see "God's finger cliff" and Guzara's castle. We really appreciated his enthusiasm and his generosity to share his knowledge regarding Ethiopian history. Moreover, we visited the royal city of Gonder. He took his time to explain the history of the kingdom of Gonder. The architecture of its palaces was fascinating. Best of all, Worku did not stop there. We were able to witness an unforgettable evening at Debre Berhan Selassie. The church's ornaments and painting are real wonders. At this place, we enjoyed watching a wedding celebration afterwards. Worku's timing and activity scheduling to our benefit was great. Next, we visited the town of Debark, and then enjoyed of some outdoor adventure at the fascinating Simien Mountains. This place is a photographer's heaven. There were Gelada monkeys posing for photographs. No better place for bird watching. And, if you are lucky, you might get the ultimate prize by spotting an Ethiopian wolf. We were lucky to have Worku as a tour guide as he was able to summarize many chapters of Ethiopian history, while we were in Gonder. He was able to engage and we did learn a lot. Next day, Worku surprised us with another historical wonder. He took us to the ancient realm of Axum and its historical tombs. Moreover, Worku showed us St. Mary of Zion. All the important sites. The new church and the old church. It's here, in Axum, where the Ark of the convenant is kept. Then we paid a visit to Queen Sheba's palace and learned about Ethiopia's history. He made history easy for us. Next, we visited Lalibella. Another historical wonder. Worku not only managed to show us all the monasteries in Lalibella, but also we went to a cave church. Worku not only showed us his beautiful country, he made it possible for us to enjoy a great vacation, introduced us to his people, music and culture. He was reliable, responsible tour guide and a people's persion. He is a very resourceful guide. And great person to get to know. Ethiopia is a must, and Worku is the guide!.

Reviewed January 25, 2018

Gold was our tour guide and is clearly passionate about his homeland. He's like a walking encylopedia, his knowledge is impressive. Gold is a lovely young man and clearly respected by local guides who joined us along the way plus he was well received by the tribe leaders. Having worked with children of all ages for over 32 yrs I observed his interaction with children everywhere we went and it was a joy to behold. He clearly has an empathy for the plight of many of the children.

If you chose this trip which we highly recommend, PLEASE remember this is Africa in is rawest sense. If one day you don't have hot water or wi fi just look around you and tell yourself how lucky you are back home. What you will find everywhere you go is happy people with very little but they have each other and a sense of community.

Gold will guide you through your journey and you will return home with memories that will last a lifetime.

If you have time in Addis Ababa a visit to the Red Terror Museum and around the corner the Addis Ababa museum. Both very interesting.

1  Thank susan h

Reviewed January 11, 2018

WARNING
My wife and I booked a custom, private Ethiopian trip early in 2017 with Paradise Edge Tours – an operation run by a person named Solomon Mulugeta. About 2 weeks before we departed, Solomon stopped returning email messages. When we arrived in Addis Ababa on November 3, 2017, we were told by two of his associates, one of whom goes by the name Johannes, that Solomon had died of stomach cancer five days before we arrived.
On the morning of our first full day in Addis, a person named Worku Yitbark, a tour operator running a business called Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, and going by the name Gold, suddenly appeared on the scene, offering to help us do our tour. We were told he had been taken off another tour, in order to help us. Yet, several days later when he was showing us his new tattoo, he claimed it had been done on what we calculated to be the day before we arrived in Addis Ababa.
After looking at our itinerary, he offered to check into all the internal flight and hotel reservations that should have been made by Solomon; while we were doing an all-day Addis tour with a local guide. At the end of the day, he claimed that none of the flight reservations nor any of the hotel reservations had been made, but that he was able to book everything according to our itinerary, including paying for all the internal flights with his own money, in expectation of being reimbursed. Yet, my wife had confirmed all the internal flights while we were in Dubai on our way to Addis. Gold told us that because we hadn’t arrived on Ethiopian Airlines, all the internal flights were more expensive than what we had planned – a total of $800. more. This Ethiopian Airlines policy is correct, but any additional surcharge was supposed to have already been factored into the total trip cost with Solomon before we had arrived. Nonetheless, we were grateful to have the good fortune of being able to continue our tour, and made arrangements to pay the extra $800. to Gold.
The tour went off without a hitch.
About two weeks after arriving back in the US on November 21, I received an email from Solomon (!!!) asking how we liked our trip, and for feedback. When I asked for an explanation, and that I thought Solomon had died, I got no reply. I asked Gold, via email about it, and he, too, did not reply. My wife, using an alias and posing as an interested potential client, queried Solomon’s Paradise Edge Tour’s web site, which was still up & running. A week later she received back a reply from Solomon (!!!)
Then six days later, on December 12, 2017, I received an email from Gold saying that the house of his mother, to whom he had referred repeatedly throughout the trip, had burned to the ground, and that he was asking some of his recent clients for money to help rebuild it.
Anyone denying or refuting this account in any way is lying, because it’s exactly what transpired with no exaggeration.

1  Thank Bill C
See more reviews
Reviewed December 23, 2017

Working with Gold to plan my Omo Valley trip was great. His responses were prompt and always helpful. He also worked to make sure that I was able to see everything I wanted in the time I had scheduled.

The local guides I had in the Omo Valley were great, but the driver I had for 5 days was phenomenal. His name was Befkadu, and he was one of the best guides / drivers that I've ever had. He was very professional, friendly, and was always around if I needed anything. I trusted him immediately as he always made sure that I was comfortable and having a good time. Definitely request him if you are heading to Omo Valley!

Gold also checked in regularly with Befkadu to make sure that things were going well. One thing that was not expected was that I was to pay the remainder of my fee before going to Omo Valley. I was a bit uncomfortable with that as I'm used to paying the guide directly, but Gold called me and explained the situation. Befkadu was at the airport as planned, and all went well.

Gold was also great about asking for feedback. We met up in Omo Valley when he was with another tourist, and he was very open to hearing any feedback. I appreciated how often he checked in to make sure that all was going well, and it was nice that he made an effort to meet in person when we were both in Omo Valley.

I definitely recommend Golden Gift when traveling to Ethiopia. Gold knows his stuff, speaks great English, and is dedicated to making sure that you have a great time.

1  Thank tenthlisten
Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018