“WARNING!”

Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours
Ranked #18 of 145 Tours in Addis Ababa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours has worked with clients from all over the world. We have more than five years of experience in organizing and hosting tours in Ethiopia.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 11, 2018

WARNING
My wife and I booked a custom, private Ethiopian trip early in 2017 with Paradise Edge Tours – an operation run by a person named Solomon Mulugeta. About 2 weeks before we departed, Solomon stopped returning email messages. When we arrived in Addis Ababa on November 3, 2017, we were told by two of his associates, one of whom goes by the name Johannes, that Solomon had died of stomach cancer five days before we arrived.
On the morning of our first full day in Addis, a person named Worku Yitbark, a tour operator running a business called Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, and going by the name Gold, suddenly appeared on the scene, offering to help us do our tour. We were told he had been taken off another tour, in order to help us. Yet, several days later when he was showing us his new tattoo, he claimed it had been done on what we calculated to be the day before we arrived in Addis Ababa.
After looking at our itinerary, he offered to check into all the internal flight and hotel reservations that should have been made by Solomon; while we were doing an all-day Addis tour with a local guide. At the end of the day, he claimed that none of the flight reservations nor any of the hotel reservations had been made, but that he was able to book everything according to our itinerary, including paying for all the internal flights with his own money, in expectation of being reimbursed. Yet, my wife had confirmed all the internal flights while we were in Dubai on our way to Addis. Gold told us that because we hadn’t arrived on Ethiopian Airlines, all the internal flights were more expensive than what we had planned – a total of $800. more. This Ethiopian Airlines policy is correct, but any additional surcharge was supposed to have already been factored into the total trip cost with Solomon before we had arrived. Nonetheless, we were grateful to have the good fortune of being able to continue our tour, and made arrangements to pay the extra $800. to Gold.
The tour went off without a hitch.
About two weeks after arriving back in the US on November 21, I received an email from Solomon (!!!) asking how we liked our trip, and for feedback. When I asked for an explanation, and that I thought Solomon had died, I got no reply. I asked Gold, via email about it, and he, too, did not reply. My wife, using an alias and posing as an interested potential client, queried Solomon’s Paradise Edge Tour’s web site, which was still up & running. A week later she received back a reply from Solomon (!!!)
Then six days later, on December 12, 2017, I received an email from Gold saying that the house of his mother, to whom he had referred repeatedly throughout the trip, had burned to the ground, and that he was asking some of his recent clients for money to help rebuild it.
Anyone denying or refuting this account in any way is lying, because it’s exactly what transpired with no exaggeration.

1  Thank Bill C
"lakes"
"hiking"
"axum"

Reviewed December 23, 2017

Working with Gold to plan my Omo Valley trip was great. His responses were prompt and always helpful. He also worked to make sure that I was able to see everything I wanted in the time I had scheduled.

The local guides I had in the Omo Valley were great, but the driver I had for 5 days was phenomenal. His name was Befkadu, and he was one of the best guides / drivers that I've ever had. He was very professional, friendly, and was always around if I needed anything. I trusted him immediately as he always made sure that I was comfortable and having a good time. Definitely request him if you are heading to Omo Valley!

Gold also checked in regularly with Befkadu to make sure that things were going well. One thing that was not expected was that I was to pay the remainder of my fee before going to Omo Valley. I was a bit uncomfortable with that as I'm used to paying the guide directly, but Gold called me and explained the situation. Befkadu was at the airport as planned, and all went well.

Gold was also great about asking for feedback. We met up in Omo Valley when he was with another tourist, and he was very open to hearing any feedback. I appreciated how often he checked in to make sure that all was going well, and it was nice that he made an effort to meet in person when we were both in Omo Valley.

I definitely recommend Golden Gift when traveling to Ethiopia. Gold knows his stuff, speaks great English, and is dedicated to making sure that you have a great time.

1  Thank tenthlisten
Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Dear travelers thanks so very much for taking your precious time to write and share us your experiences. We really appreciate your witness's about our services and we look forward to seeing you all over again:). Gold

Reviewed November 25, 2017 via mobile

Wow!!!! That's all I can say about Golden Gift Ethiopian Tours! A thoughtful, well informed young entrepreneur who is Proudly Ethiopian and went out of his way to leave me with the best tour I could have in a day. Gold is reliable, honest and true to his word and any potential tourist to Ethiopia can confidently rest assured with Gold at the helm of your trip! Coming from South Africa to Addis Ababa for the first time, Gold's integrity and desire to offer the best tour, quickly made me at ease! I can recommend him to anyone! Especially the discerning tourist who wants to know Ethiopian history and culture first hand!

1  Thank MichaelCurrin1967
Worku_11, Owner at Golden Gift Ethiopia Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2017

Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

I thought our tour guide was exceptional. He was charismatic, intelligent and lots of fun. Couldn’t have asked for a better tour guide.

2  Thank MaxtedT