We stayed at the Hotel de Leopol International from August 14 till August 18, 2012. We came to Addis-Ababa to participate in an international conference held in the Addis-Ababa University.
Our overall impressions of the hotel are positive.
We had a studio room for each person for 56$ per night.
The rooms were clean, hot water was always available, the bathrooms were also clean.
The staff of the hotel was friendly and promptly responding to our requests.
The food at the hotel restaurant (on the first floor) was nice. For breakfast we would have nice Ethiopean tea or coffee, scrambled eggs and hot oatmeal porridge with milk.
In the rooms we could watch BBC world service, Fox movies, British soccer and some local channels.
At the same time, there were some shortcomings:
1) We arrived at the Addis-Ababa Bole International airport with delay after 00:30, and also the luggage of one of our participants was by mistake already unloaded in Istanbul, so we went out to the terminal rather late. So, we were not met by the hotel shuttle. Moreover, there was nobody at the Hotel de Leopol desk at the airport. On our way back we were indeed transported to the airport with no extra fee by the hotel shuttle.
2) There is a mosque nearby, and at night, say, for example, around 5 a.m. there would be heard muslim prayers broadcasted via loudspeakers. This may be a problem for sensitive sleepers.
3) Almost every day the electricity would be down usually for a minute or two, but once on Saturday it was out for something like an hour.
Having said all this, we still claim that for the money we paid we got quite decent service.
We would recommend this hotel for travellers.
P.S. Just a piece of advice about the city itself.
1) Be careful while paying taxi drivers -- they tend (especially with regard to the recently arrived visitors) to greatly exaggerate their fares. So, one needs to negotiate and argue with them.
2) It is rather cold in Addis-Ababa in August, especially, when it rains. Do have warm clothes with you.
3) There are many poor and desperate people in Addis-Ababa, and we did not feel safe walking in the streets. So, we mostly stayed at the hotel and in the University.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Jovago.com and Travelocity so you can book your Hotel de Leopol International reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.