“its a good 3* hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Asmara
London, United Kingdom
“its a good 3* hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Asmara is a very small & developing city so certain mod cons you just expect in a any hotel may not be readily available in a place like this. The hotel I would say for facilities is certainly the best in Asmara. It has an indoor + outdoor pool, 3 restaurants and gym. It also has a couple of shops and money changing facilites. The rooms are very spacious with a balcony and the facilities are pretty standard. There is tea & coffee and a small mini bar. There is no internet in the room (although there is a plug in) it does not work at all and this is for the whole hotel. TV does not have great reception....bring a laptop for movies! the beds are big and comfy but the bedding itself is very old bobbly and unfortunatley a bit holey. I stayed a couple of weeks and it wasnt a one off bed cover.
There is no wifi either. There is a 24 hour business lounge with 4 workstations, gets very busy in the evenings and until 10pm the internet is painfully slow (20 mins to send 1 email!) this happens across Eritrea as they only have dial up connection and the band width is very slow at the best of times...something to bear in mind if you plan to use the internet for work (you will need to factor in extra time!)
The staff at the hotel are absolutley fabulous and customer service is excellent. The food the hotel is also great and there is a wide variety of cuisine available.
An important note - if you are changing money you cannot change it back. I was not told of this - and didnt leave enough dollars for the departure tax. Getting US dollars is extremly difficult and you must always keep reciepts and declare the exact amount of cash as there are very strict laws on currency.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank Vickyscriv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
nj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

I was intially excited about staying at the ICH until I arrived and was told my guest would have to leave before the 11pm curfew!! The staff did not approve of a male guest visiting a female. I went thru hell and back to get my friend to visit me. He was constantly harassed by hotel security. The service was extremely slow and the room I thought I paid for (as published on the internet site) was below what I expected. The furniture was old and smelly and they put 5 dead flowers in a vase and expected me to pay $330 a nite for the crap...and unfortunately it was too late for me to change. But never again!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the furniture is old and smelly. staff slooowwww.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank marquesm

Travelers are raving about these Asmara hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

I arrived at the hotel at midnight of 11/12th May 2008 without my suitcase due to an airline mess up. I learnt that my suitcase had been left at OR Tambo in Johannesburg and I was only going to get it 4 days later. With all the airlines' security these days I had nothing on me except the clothes I was wearing, one other blouse and a laptop. All my toiletries and make up were in the 'missing suitcase'.The staff at this hotel were incredible in their understanding and went out of their way to help me in my distress. The lady on duty at the reception even went as far as supplying me with deodorant from her own handbag because I was desperate before I went to work on the Monday morning. One of the lady staff who brought my breakfast to my room also came to my aid by supplying some female-specific toiletries from her bag because I was desperate and the shops were not open at that time of the morning. I was blown away by their kindness, generosity and sensitivity. I personally feel they went above their call of duty and I felt blessed by their numerous acts of kindness. It is treatments like these that would make me stay with them again the next time I am in Asmara.

In one of coffee bars I had the tastiest vegeterian sandwich I have ever had and I have travelled a lot! I ordered the same sandwich more than once. Their coffee and cappuccino were something to write home about. It was a good coffee bean whatever they used.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — No 24hr emergency shop in reception with basics
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank mai_madhora
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

I found the service to be lacking, the food made me sick. You are much better off going to a local resturant, you will pay much less for good food. the rooms were the best part of the charmless hotel. Make sure to check your bill to make sure it is correct!

Stayed February 2006
10 Thank Turtlegrace
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

I have never been in a Hotel with such excellent service for the price you are paying. The atmosphere was clean and beyond my expectations. Clean rooms and facilities, great for families. Kepp up the Good work.

• Stayed June 2000
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2005

The Intercontinental is the most upmarket hotel in town. The rooms are decent, hotel food is good (but then again, food everywhere in Asmara is pretty good) and service is friendly. The architecture of the place takes some getting used to - it is rather barren and does not make you feel at home - but overall it provides a pleasant stay with efficient services, but without particular highlights or much charme.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business