Djibouti Palace Kempinski
$168
Agoda.com
African Village(Djibouti)
$72
Hotel Residence de l'Europe(Djibouti)(Great Value!)
$116
  • Restaurant
Comfort Hotel(Djibouti)
All reviewsitalian restaurantsky barswim up barbusiness tripr rgreat gymmultiple restaurantsnew wingrooms are comfortablesea viewan oasisfive star hotelhotel guestspoolsspacountryluxury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stunning hotel already from the entrance!
Staff makes you feel like royalty. Super welcoming and beautiful smiles!
Rooms were beautifully mixed with Arabic and African influence, very clean. Beds SUPEr comfortable. Food was great, scuba diving services with associate company was great. Only problem was an engineering gentleman whom entered the room without knocking.. once he saw me surprised he apologized about one thousand times and said he would return later for fire alarm check. Internet worked ok. Not so many TV channels but enough to keep us entertained. Great Sky lounge, additional bar on lobby floor with live music, so entertaining and nice drinks. Felt like I was in europe with very elegant Africans. Some drunk military roaming around but a 3 meters security was always around!
For an adventure this is the highest luxury you can have in such a place. Much better than many so called 5* hotels, in Europe. Felt safe the whole time we spent in the country, people in town are very friendly and dont beg for money like many african countries. AMAZING ocean, untouched!! Better diving than Thailand! Loved this hidden jewel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ParisBella
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear ParisBella,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our excellence service, dining experience and the facilities that we have to offer in and around the hotel. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests with the best services possible according to their needs.

We would also like to apologise for the inconvenience that has been caused to you. Please note that we have directed your feedback to the concern Head of Department to avoid any such inconvenience happen again in the future. We would also like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback on our hotel and will take your review as an opportunity to improve our quality of services.

Once again thank you and looking forward to welcoming you back to Djibouti Palace Kempinski in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

best place in town.
not overpriced for the quality of the property.
If you want the best in Djibouti stay here.
great location on the water with tours from the pier to moucha island.

recently they have added a casino.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ericjbabin
Reviewed May 26, 2013

If for some reason you find yourself in Djibouti Africa, this is the best place to stay. It is a gorgeous hotel, very luxurious. Fantastic food, superb service, very clean, great rooms and beds, infinity pool. If you go into town, be prepared for a totally different world from this great hotel. While in the hotel you are in luxury; when you go into town you will see abject poverty. Anything you can do to help the people of Djibouti will be wonderful. Get at our of the country if you can, there is so much more here that meets the eye. Be prepared for hot and I mean hot. Of course the hotel has full temperature control so you are always comfortable there. I saw every hotel in Djibouti and this is the place to stay. The prices are reasonable for the luxury; but you can skyrocket if you ask for the super special rooms that the Sheiks use when they come for the Port business. If you treat the people with respect and cultural understanding, you will have a great experience at this hotel. They do their best; but you must realize the poverty outside the doors so you may infer a different atmosphere from what they are meaning to display. The service and amenities here are the absolute best that Djibouti has to offer. After all, you are in Djibouti, not Paris or NYC.

Room Tip: Room choice depends on your budget. Get the highest floor you can and decide if you want to see the city or the ocean, up to you.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mgmarks
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Mgmarks,

We were delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience with us in Djibouti and would like to thank you for taking your time to write such a motivating comment for our team on TripAdvisor. All the Djibouti Palace Kempinski team was thrilled to read your review and was glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants, our pool and our spacious rooms.

We look forward welcoming you again in Djibouti in the near future!

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Really great property, great view, multiple restaurants, staff is friendly, but T.I.A. - change from purchases will be rounded down or "forgotten" about, staff often provides change in unserviceable currency. Not sure why damaged currency is such an issue in Djibouti, but it is. Don't accept torn/damaged bills, as many places will refuse to accept them, even if the same establishment just gave it to you as change.

It is a great hotel, but being the best in Djibouti is like winning a one-man track meet.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank bsstafford

Dear Bsstafford,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to read you found the hotel to be very welcoming and that we have a large choice of restaurants. We agree that most currencies in Djibouti are in a very bad condition, even though we try to control the currencies we receive in the hotel as much as possible. We will be happy to welcome you back to our hotel during your next visit in Djibouti.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

While the hotel probably is the nicest place in Djibouti I was extremely disappointed with the quality of service for the price I paid. This hotel offers the standard atmosphere and amenities of a 5 star hotel but it's far from 5 star quality. I booked a 2 person junior suite for 2 nights. I took advantage of their websites offer to book early online and receive a 30% discount. Even with the discount I'm still wondering why I paid so much money. At check in the gentleman asked me who I booked through...I booked on the hotel's website and already gave him the confirmation print out. He had no idea what to do and just stood there for much too long until he finally went to ask for assistance after I asked repeatedly asked if there was a problem.

I finally got my key. The room was quite spacious. I love it when hotels provide slippers. The junior suite provides a loveseat (pillows were stained), huge windows (hand a face prints all over), desk (standard) and a king size bed (very comfortable but again, pillows were stained). The bathroom had an average (not on par with 5-star) toilet, bidet (again not on par), bathtub (rusty water, tired to flush it out but it stained the tub so I gave up), shower (showerhead was from the ceiling but no wall attachment of detachable handle) and vanity (dirty). Water was yellow and had a bit of a smell, not surprising for this country and bottled water was provided. The full length mirror had hand prints and writing in marker all over it. I killed one small cockroach in the entryway. The room also had the shared door to the next room. Not well insulated so you could hear the other guests TV or talking if you did not have your TV on. I requested a smoke-free room. The room was fine but the hallway reeked of smoke.

Cleanliness is key to a quality service and this hotel has not stepped up to 5-star standards. Even their spa was disappointing, 5-star services at a 2-star execution. It was sadly dirty: fingerprints, dirt and bugs. The massage was average and the facial was the worst I've ever received (I can wash my own face, that's all they did).

The buffet was also a disappointment, nothing like their rivals at the Sheraton here in Djibouti. While there was variety and the bread was quite good, it still lacked that 5-star quality. I also had to argue with the staff to get the breakfast for 2 even though I checked in with 2 guests. For the money I paid both guests deserve the complimentary breakfast. Because I had to go discuss the situation with the front desk, we were late to start breakfast. If I had not grabbed all the food I wanted right away we would have gone hungry. They removed everything at the end of their service time and then tried to kick us out as we were still eating, NOT 5-star service!

Room service is 24hrs but takes time for the food to arrive. I had the smoked salmon sandwich and it was very good.

The pool and casino are nice. The casino unfortunately allows smoking.

Overall I give it 3 stars because it is the nicest thing in Djibouti and has all the services of a 5-star resort. Just don't have high expectations of the service being at a 5-star level. They really should lower their prices for the value you receive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SP1234Travels
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear “SP1234Travels”,

Thank you very much for having stayed at Djibouti Palace Kempinski and for your review. We are always grateful to our guests for taking the time and trouble to record their feedback as this is the only way for us to maintain and improve, where necessary, the high standards of service our guests have come to expect from us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our Pool, Casino and room service. Regarding the negative aspects you mentioned, please note that our Front Office, Housekeeping and Spa team are now aware of your review and discussing it with our staff.
I sincerely hope that we may welcome you and your family back to Djibouti Palace Kempinski soon in order that we may have an opportunity to rectify your current impression of the hotel, I am confident we can look after you and demonstrate an experience more reflective of the many positive comments we normally receive on Tripadvisor.