“Best in Djibouti”

Djibouti Palace Kempinski
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Djibouti
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Second stay here. It is the best in Djibouti. Rooms are very comfortable. Staff is friendly. Multiple restaurants to choose from. Facilities are great - two pools, small beach, great gym, spa, shops. I would recommend this and stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nep1984
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

The Djibouti Palace Kempinski team would like to thank you for your kind words regarding your previous stays with us, and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon again.

With warm regards
The Djibouti Palace Kempinski team

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The city of Djibouti has numerous places to stay, but only three of them are at what one would consider "western standards"; Sheraton, Bavaria, and Kempinski Hotels. Kempinski would is the best of the three hotels. Staff is very helpful, security is 24/7, and the hotels have all the needed amenities are on site. Excellent view of the bay from bayside rooms and the pool areas! A couple of months ago the hotel upgraded the number of cable TV stations received and increased the speed of internet service, very nice change. Unfortunately, the cost is a little high for what you get.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms on the spa end of the building are quieter than the other that face the larger pool w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Greetings from Djibouti Palace Kempinski,
It is with pleasure that we read your motivating comment here on TripAdvisor and we thank you for your kind words.
Our goal is to be, and remain, the best hotel in Djibouti through personalizing our guest experiences and ensuring top quality products and services, all to ensure the best possible experience for our guests. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and it would be an honor to welcome you back.

With warm regards
The Djibouti Palace Kempinski team.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

this hotel is a great place to be in Djibouti, good food and service and very friendly local staff! the pool area is great, the juices at the bar too! sometimes they do have some events at the main restaurant, good buffets with nice concepts...the only things I did not like is the very long floors, but this seems to be normal for such big hotels with over 200 rooms.

Room Tip: beautiful roms with ocean sight!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

It is with great pleasure that we read your text about your stay with us, and we would like to gratefully thank you for your kind words. It creates a great feeling of satisfaction when reading about your experience with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.

With best regards
the Djibouti Palace Kempinski team.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am falling more and more in love with the Kempinski brand! This was an outstanding experience and as with other Kempinski's I have visited, top notch. The staff, from manager looking people in suits to room service were always friendly, attentive and eager to please.

Our room was great, spacious, pretty much everything one could wish for.

Definitely a highlight was visiting the Bankualé sea front restaurant and enjoying a whole grilled fish. Feel free to watch them actually make it.

Only minor things that could be irksome to some people. The breakfast buffet was less impressive than in other Kempinskis, the person in charge of making crepes probably has never seen one, what arrived was as big and fluffy as an American pancake. The constant presence of army personal of different nationalities (with GLASS beer bottles in the pool!) can be somewhat distracting. It does not feel very much like a family place, more like R&R for army and business people. I did not mind it that much ... but kiddo was missing the lack of other kids (btw, I never figured out what was going on with the kids' club, it was never open, and I forgot to ask about it)

But once again, I bow before the performance of all staff members. They really go all the way out, are obviously very well trained (and eager to keep their jobs).

As for that Sky Bar, I found that rather 'meh' it looked very 80ies and the big TV showing sports made it look cheap. I did not linger do 'enjoy' it. And yes, as some other people pointed out, the place is vast ... if you are in 'the other wing' and you want to enjoy the gym (which is great) then the walk over there already fulfills your warm up needs.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

We at Djibouti Palace Kempinski would like to thank you for your comments and kind words posted here on TripAdvisor. It is always a joy to hear about our guests’ experiences, which also make an important base for our development to continue to provide quality services and to improve further.
We hope that your journey back home went well and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel.

With warmest regards
The Djibouti Palace Kempniski team.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice on business. The rooms are quite nice, but not all of them have wireless internet. The views from the back of the hotel onto the Red Sea are lovely, as are the swimming pools. However, the rooms do not have nearly enough electrical outlets with which to recharge computers, e-readers, smart phones, etc. I ordered from room service once and the food was pretty good. Lighting in the bathrooms could be better, and I wish the staff would not bother guests in the evening.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean side have the best views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ZengSiXin
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Greetings from Djibouti Palace Kempinski, and thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in providing excellent service to all our guests and visitors; hence we highly appreciate your comments. We hope that you have had a good stay wit us and that we will have the honor of welcoming you back again in a near future.

Yours sincerely
the Djibouti Palace Kempinski team.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Djibouti Palace Kempinski stands at its prime at the very end of the city have direct access to the Sea. The Hotel is gigantic! Truly luxurious, which can be seen as soon as you enter the gates. The European & Arabesque decor puts you in a true Palace feeling.
The service is beyond incredible, all small details are being counted for! You see that the Staff is highly qualified and goes to extremes to fulfill your wishes, what else do you need to feel like a Sultan?
The rooms are quite spacious, both city views and sea views, and the bright aspect of it, you always can see a part of the sea!
The main restaurant is quite nice which many varieties in its theme nights, and you also have the Tentazioni restaurant with true italian flavors.
Barwise, very elegant lobby bar with great cocktails, the pool bar is also quite nice with a breathtaking view of the sea but my favorite is the Skybar, the highest bar of Djibouti with a panoramic view on the whole gulf!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone without doubts, you could always find cheaper and smaller things in Djibouti... But nothing is a good a the Djibouti Palace Kempinski!

Room Tip: You should definitely check out the Spa & the Casino ;)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KHMostafa
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Mr. Mostafa,
Thank you very much for posting such an explicit comment about us here on TripAdvisor. It is with much joy we read your comment and acknowledge you have enjoyed your stay with us, and noticed some of the minor details which we have implemented to go beyond our guests expectations.
We hope you had a safe flight home and look forward welcoming you back.

With kind regards
The Djibouti Palace Kempinski team.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

In late December I had the good fortune to spend four nights in this excellent establishment while on a business trip to Djibouti and I also compared my experience with several other colleagues that were staying either at the Kempiski or in a couple of other hotels in the area.
My own personal experience has been overwhelmingly positive: it is clear by just a quick look around that the structure is large but well built, well located and all efforts are done to maintain it in excellent conditions. Everywhere you go there is friendly and smiling staff around, always ready to assist you (all speak French and most have at least some knowledge of English): I have been particularly impressed by the technical services who came to fix my safe even before I managed to report the problem, thanks to an attentive maid that spotted the issue on the first day while I was in the Gym. My room, located at the second floor and facing the parking lot and the main entrance (opposite the sea) was large, clean, equipped with every facility I need (including of course the AC) and with a very comfortable double bed. The bathroom was equally large and very efficient. There was initially a peculiar smell in the room – possibly disinfectant – but faded from the second day and it was nonetheless never too strong. For those who hate like me mosquitoes and flies (unfortunately all too common elsewhere in Djibouti) there was no trace at all of such bugs in my room.
Although I did not have a chance to try all the hotel's facilities (like for example the Whale Shark experience, which in the words of my colleagues who tried it was extremely interesting), but those I did try were completely to my liking:
- The Gym is very large and exceptionally well furnished with top of the line equipment maintained in pristine conditions by the staff. I used it four times at different hours and was never crowded;
- The Italian Restaurant (Tentazioni) had very good standard of food and service: careful if you decided to eat outside because mosquitoes might take an excessive liking of you;
- Internet was reliable and relatively fast: compared to my previous African experience there was in fact not even comparison and I managed to download at speeds exceeding 250 Kb/s (OK not great by European Standards, but this is Africa). Unfortunately, it was not for free (see more later);
- Swimming Pools, nice and clean;
- Breakfast was very good with much different choice (coffee could be very slow in coming to your table though).
So, all is good? Well no unfortunately. There were a few things that spoiled the general harmony in my way of seeing things:
- The lobby was somewhat undermanned at times during the day and you could easily wait for more than 20 minutes to receive attention from the staff. Perhaps I was just too impatient but when you wish to delight yourself in the beauty of the hotel, spending 20 minutes in a line is not what you hope for;
- Minor point – the Gym is in one wing of the hotel and if your room is on the opposite wing you'll have to walk the whole structure, dying for a shower, before reaching the destination;
- Internet is not for free and you pay the outrageous price of around 15 € per day (you can also pay by the hour, which is worse, or by the week, which is convenient if you spend at least five nights there). I truly believe that in a distinguished establishment nowadays Internet cannot be charged, but maybe that's just my opinion. Furthermore, in my room there was no WiFi: not a problem for my computer because I was provided with a cable, but to use tablet, smartphone etc I was forced to sit in the lobby;
- Lastly, I have seen several rats outside the hotel and I truly hope they manage to find a way to keep them there.
To sum up, the Kempiski is not a very cheap establishment: you can easily pay more than €300 per night for the standard room, but in return to get many positives and few negatives all of them acceptable (although the Internet...): definitively worth it, especially since the alternatives are really...no alternatives at all if the words of my colleagues are to be trusted.

Room Tip: Facing the parking lot: no view at all but the swimming pool on the sea side can be very noisy at ti...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gersenkirth
DjiboutiPalace, Manager at Djibouti Palace Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a complete feedback here with us on TripAdvisor. Your comments are very valuable to us and it is with great pleasure that we read your positive reviews.

We look forward welcoming you again in Djibouti in the near future!

Warm regards