Same old story. A lovely hotel but at significant cost. Always the way in Africa.
Checked in for an overnight stay in June 2012 with a colleague.
Taxi dropped us at the gate where we were shuttled to reception by a golf cart. Into reception, through a metal detector and security, and to reception.
Check in was extremely slow, and it appeared to me that our reservation had been misplaced. I suspected this as my colleague and I looked very scruffy and therefore like a couple of paupers. One flash of the company Amex card and the reservation appeared faster than Walt Flannigan's dog.
Reception, staff and rooms are all impeccably presented. Decorated to a high standard, and if trip advisor is to be believed, your only really choice in Djibouti.
Ate a quite expensive all you can eat lunch at the on site restaurant that was very nice actually.
Spent the afternoon with a couple of drinks by the pool, which was again lovely and spotless.
There was very few negative points about Kempinski. The hotel appeared to cater for higher level military officials and soldiers and businessmen, so was very much geared up for service.
The only issues I would mention are the high price of the rooms, drinks, meals, everything... The rooms also come with an amazingly annoying fire alarm which emits a periodic strobe effect to show it's working. Very annoying when you're trying to sleep. Internet was only available in the lobby and my room had no wireless signal.
Finally, after an afternoon by the pool and a wander into town, I returned to find the maid had been in my room, turned the welcome channel back on the TV, arranged some slippers by the bed and turned down the duvet for my return. Some people might like this, to me it was just plain freaky. Felt like I was constantly under surveillance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Away from the busy districts, yet only few minutes from the airport, Djibouti Palace Kempinski is ideally located at a prime beachfront between the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, in a secluded and peaceful setting of palms and bougainvillea. Djibouti Palace Kempinski features a plethora of entertainment amenities, including a fully equipped fitness center, mountain bikes, outdoor swimming pool, mini club, restaurants and bars. Djibouti Palace Kempinski redefines luxury service in the Land of Gods. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Djibouti Palace Kempinski reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Djibouti Palace Kempinski Hotel Djibouti
- Palace Kempinski Hotel Djibouti
- Palace Kempinski Djibouti