“Maybe one of the worst Sheratons around”

Sheraton Djibouti Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Djibouti
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I spent an afternoon at this hotel (lunch and poolside), so I cannot comment on the rooms.

Djibouti City is a terrible place. Way too expensive for what you get (along with the entire country, but at least other parts of the country can be interesting), and the Sheraton epitomizes this notion. The restaurant was WAY overpriced for the quality of service and food. The buffet lunch was over $30 USD, which is laughable. Other plates are overpriced as well. Also, when I tried to pay with a credit card the entire waitstaff had a fit. Are you serious? You are an international hotel chain AND It clearly states that you accept cc, so what's the problem?? They told me there was a minimum of approx $20 USD. Again, you are an international hotel chain, you don't have minimums on cc (especially if you don't even post it anywhere). It's not like I was trying to use a cc on a $2 purchase, my bill was approx $13 USD. In the end I argued and they let me pay, but the attitude I could certainly do without.

In general, the facilities are not that nice. The pool area is shoddy and the reception unwelcoming.

Bottom line, avoid Djibouti City if possible. If not, look elsewhere for food/drink.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank wodaley1
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Djibouti Hotel

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I know it's a Sheraton but we're in sweltering dusty Djibouti and in that regard it's a fine place to stay for the price.

Staff very friendly even if one waiter tends to solicit cash tips if you sign for your food! Good little band in the bar some nights with olives and vegetable sticks and yoghurt dip as bar snacks. Only bread based bar menu available however.

Internet in the rooms a bit unreliable at night, stayed on the 6th floor, fruit basket in room. Food was very good.

All in all, it was very pleasant and I can't grumble!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank WhiskeyDelta
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us on Trip Advisor. Regarding your comment .
we also appreciate yours comments regarding our hotel and staffs, it has been shared with all our team.and to correct the negative point.
Your comments give us to provide a high energize to improve our service.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and we do look forward welcoming you back again soon at Sheraton Djibouti.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Have not actually stayed overnight in this hotel but I have eaten in their restaurant and indulged at the bar. The restaurant is set up buffet style and the night my friends and I ate there, they were making "Mongolian BBQ". The buffet is reasonably priced at 5300 DF per person plus drink. I highly recommend the salad bar.
The bar/lounge on main floor has very friendly staff willing to satisfy everyone. The lounge has half-price selections daily during Happy Hour from 1900-2100.
The hotel is home to several military personnel, brush up on your German and you will make many new friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lucymae65
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
we also appreciate yours comments regarding our staffsand it has been shared with all our team.
Your comments give us to provide a high energize to improve our service.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Things started out a bit rocky for the first day of my stay. I asked to speak to the manager. All of my issues were addressed and corrected to exceed my expectations. The housekeeping staff was great. The servers at the bar and restaurants were fantastic. The difference in the rooms after I requested a change were night and day. It went from a 2 star to a 4 star. The internet is terrible but it is country wide and not just at this hotel. I asked people who were staying at the other major hotel in town and it was just as bad. If you are traveling on business bring an air card! The casino staff is world class! I'm not sure if they rent space or are affiliated but they are incredible.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting a room on the 5th or 6th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike M
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is my second time I've stayed at this hotel. Over all it is one of the better choices of hotel to stay in when in Djibouti. Since my last visit a couple of months ago it seems like there have been improvements.

* The former slow moving personnel in the restaurant seems to be moving faster and with more accuracy. Occasionally, you'll have to wait but not as much as my last visit!
* The hotel restaurant have had a major overhaul and it improved the feeling surprisingly much. Food is a bit better since my last time even if the buffet seems to be playing on replay every other day. For a short stay - you won't notice this however. Some rough grain bread for breakfast is sadly still missed.
* Flat screen TV:s seems to have found its way into the majority of the rooms and the channel selection have expanded. Lots of movie channels and news in several languages (mainly French, English, German).
* Staff is still friendly and there is always a smile for you.
* Unfortunately - smoking is still allowed in the lobby.
* Free wifi is still excellent but the speed is gruesomely slow. Clocked it to 0,9 down and 0,03 up. Even Skype bails out and is having a hard time even passing login screen. E-mailing - no problems!
* As much else in Djibouti it is (still) expensive. Lunch will set you back about 30 USD (beverage not included). Is it worth it? Not really but the menu has improved since last time so it's a bit better!

I recommended this hotel after my last visit and it have only change to the better so my recommendation still stands.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at level 1 and 2. Level 5 and 6 is where you want to stay. Odd number have a view over t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dgjohansson
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to learn that you have noticed and appreciated the renovation that occurred since your last visit to the Sheraton Djibouti. The property is gradually being redecorated to offer our guests an elegant and comfortable setting. The restaurant just had a facelift and two Chefs are coming soon with lots of delicious recipes! We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and we do look forward welcoming you back again soon at Sheraton Djibouti.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly, but the hotel suffers from tired facilities having been build 1980's. Several website say the facilities have been remodel (1999), but that must have been for the casino addition. The rooms are still in the 1980's. The cable television channel selection is not bad. I would not swim in the open water bay area outside of the hotel due to the shoreline sewer outlet located approximately 3 KM away. The elevators are a little cramp and may stop working (as a friend of mine found out, he was stuck in between floors for 10 mins). The hotel has a small fitness center and no spa. Like most African countries the hotel only accepts VISA or cash and no Master Card for payment.
In the past 6 months the hotel has remodeled the lobby area and their dining room. Both areas are very nice now! The overall feel of the common areas is welcoming and comfortable, but the rooms still need work. Little overpriced for what you get, but better than 96% of your other Djibouti hotel options!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer and have great view of bay. Lower rooms seem to have more foot traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank e h
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to send your comments about your stay at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel.
Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our team. We do however regret to learn about your disappointment. We would like to express that we take all matters brought to our attention very seriously, and we do everything possible to rectify these shortfalls. Please be assured that the elevators have been repaired and showcase an elegant design.
We are pleased to note that you enjoyed our newly decorated reception, lobby lounge and restaurant. Very soon we will open a Balinese massage treatment room offering massage therapy, beauty treatments and much more!
We thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

When arriving at the hotel it looks good, but after a closer look, it's not.

My room was on the lobby floor, and it looked worn and old, especially the bathroom. This is not decisive for me though; when travelling and working, most important is working internet connection and good food. This hotel had neither.

The internet was not working/barely working, could not access my e-mails at all, even though I had a good wireless signal.

The food was buffet only and not good, even cold and tasted as if it been lying there all day. Maybe I ate somewhat late (nine thirty-ten), but that's no excuse. Breakfast was okay.

When checking out, they told me that I could not pay in local currency when using credit cards (was told that Visa could only be charged Euros, while Mastercard could only be charged USD!!) This dubious system meant that you have to accept whatever poor exchange rate they'll give you.

Service was good. The staff were polite, and they had free shuttle to the airport.

My poor rating is simply because when the rates are high and name is Sheraton, you'd expect more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDjibouti, Manager at Sheraton Djibouti Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing Sheraton Djibouti for your recent stay.
We are sorry to read from your review that you were not fully pleased with your overall stay.
The property was the first hotel built in Djibouti and since the past 12 months the hotel is going under great renovation. The guestrooms are gradually being redecorated with elegant furnishings. The restaurant just had a facelift offering a refined design and the Chef is coming soon with lots of new tasty recipes!
We are sorry for the wrong information that you got at the checkout desk. Please, be assured that this matter has been shared with the relevant staff members. We definitely accept payment by Visa card in local currency.
We apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered while using the internet. Djibouti Telecom was launching at that time the 3G network which contributed to disturbances on the local network. The Sheraton Djibouti offers an unparalleled Wi-Fi high speed connection free of charge in the entire hotel.
Thank you once again for posting your review and we truly apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us.