“Nice ambience, acceptable food”
Review of Cote Jardin

Cote Jardin
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in N'Djamena
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Coté Jardin is one of several outdoor restaurants in N'Djamena, and quite decent. I ate their twice with colleagues. One night I had a sautées pavé de capitaine (filet of Nile perch) served over a bed of spinach and accompanied by fried polenta cakes. The subsequent time I had leg of lamb in a tarragon sauce and also a gratin of eggplant (aubergine). The fish was well cooked and the spinach tasty, but the polenta cakes were dried out and tasteless. The lamb was decent, though nothing special, and the eggplant was pretty good but completely smothered in cheese and quite greasy besides. The dessert menu is impressive. One night I had nougat glacé and the other a Dame Blanche (hot chocolate sundae). I was not bowled over by either one.

Coté Jardin attracts a diverse crowd. A lot of foreigners, as you'd expect, and on a Saturday night the bar is frequented by a number of ladies of the evening trolling for custom, who appear somewhat better-looking than the average working girl in N'Djamena, not that my experience is terribly exhaustive.

There is a stall selling craft items near the entrance to the compound, and the selection is pretty decent, and the best quality stuff I have seen in N'Djamena. There are the usual wooden hippos and snakeskin wallets, but the Touareg jewelry, mainly from Niger, is of good quality and well-displayed, and the prices, once you negotiate for a bit, are reasonable.

All in all, a decent place to go, but not my first choice by any means.

1  Thank ckrakoff

Reviewed January 14, 2013

excellent lasagna, and the other meals are very good as well. I go there many times. good service friendly

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our group spent a couple weeks in N'Djamena, and this restaurant became one of our favorites. Hotel food was terrible overpriced & blah, but we were quite happy with the food & deserts here. Wine selection was good, for Chad. Our party ate a total of around 20 meals, no one got sick on anything, and everyone was satisfied with their selections every time. That is a pretty good record, to me. Environment is nice as well, with relaxed outdoor seating. Just remember to spray for mosquitoes before going, as the garden environment lets them dine on you.

2  Thank Pocestnik
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The fish was fresh and tasty; the lasagna was almost inedible. The chocolate mousse was amazing. So I guess the quality of food depends on what you pick!

1  Thank Travelfundi
Reviewed July 13, 2012

simple food, pleasant environment, interesting surroundings

1  Thank Trevor v