“Wonderful place”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Praia
Neuchatel, Switzerland
“Wonderful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very nice hotel, clean pool, hudge room with view on the sea (even if the "beach" from the window was not so nice, it was at least typical). Excellent restaurant, well located with a small terrasse near the pool. Rich breakfast buffet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMTropico, Gerente geral at Pestana Tropico Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your opinion towards our services.

Regards from the Pestana Tropico!

Jorge Xavier - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

A very good business hotel in Praia, easy to reach from the airport and hosting all facilities you need for a successful business stay. Friendly staff, good food, comparably fast internet connection, clean rooms...

Absolutely sufficient for a business hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTravellerG
GMTropico, Gerente geral at Pestana Tropico Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your opinion towards our hotel.

Warm regards from Cape Verde!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

First, the positives. Our room in Pestana Topico was big, spacious with a huge bed, excellent pillows, solid safe, lots of electric sockets and a working desk - although our room did smell like it had been smoked in before. The recently refurbished bathroom was equally good with excellent water pressure and instant warm water - a rare luxury for a Londoner. The hotel is very quiet and safe, and one of the few in Praia located right by the sea. The pool area is nice with high quality sunbeds. Free unlimited wifi is available throughout the hotel for multiple devices, although coverage can be a bit patchy.

The breakfast is very good as well with generous amounts of cold cuts, pastries and fresh fruit on offer. Beware of the coffee machine however: as a milk capsule was being replaced we noticed pests crawling inside - perhaps unavoidable in the climate but a reason to scrap the machine for fresh produce.

The main negative is poor service combined with a lack of staff English skills. We arrived two days prior to New Year's Eve and asked the reception staff to book us a certain restaurant for New Year's Eved dinner - we couldn't call ourselves as we don't speak Portugese and few people in Santiago speak English. Despite our pleas the staff refused to make the call, claiming that there is absolutely no need to book and that we could certainly just walk in. On New Year's Eve we asked them to call and check whether this was still the case - only to be told it was now fully booked. We gave the staff three more restaurant options, which all were fully booked now too. Which left us with just one option - buying into the hotel's own New Year's Eve dinner. Which probably was the reason they were so unhelpful with the other restaurants.

The hotel's own New Year Eve Dinner was hilariously bad. The buffet had no non-meat mains options, even the sea bream came with sausages. We were told that we could order from the a la carte menu, which seemed to have several good fish options. Upon arriving to dinner we were told that for New Year's Eve dinner there was now just one non-meat option to choose a la carte - green salad for starters and swordfish for main course. The green salad was simply slices of cucumber, corn from a tin, tomato and onion laid on a plate, not mixed. This was accompanied by a basket or half dry bread, cut hours (days?) before serving. The restaurant staff seemed to understand how bad everything was and looked embarrassed. We felt bad for them.

The fact that Pestana Tropico is meant to be the top hotel in Santiago illustrates how far the island has to go with its tourism ambitions: while the rooms are fine, the service is far, far below that of Sal and Boa Vista hotels - both the small boutiques and big resorts.

It's just not good enough yet.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Miia B
GMTropico, Gerente geral at Pestana Tropico Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Ms.Miia,
First of all, thank you for letting us know about your opinion concerning our hotel. I regret to read that despite so many positive points mentioned, you've rated us with just one star (!!).
A bit unfair, to say the least. But that's life, I guess...
We know that we have problems with language skills and a few training courses will be given this year. I can assure you that there was absolutely no intention to oblige you to go to our Restaurant in the New Year's Eve, naturally. Probably, a misunderstanding occured, for which I present my apologies. But I would like to stress out that to classify a buffet with lobster, shrimps, filet mignon as "hilariously bad" and having "no non meat options", it's simply not honest.
We wish you all the best for 2014!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was my first overnight stay in Praia. I arrived late at night and was unable to see much of the city as we drove through. What I saw seemed very clean. Check-in was quick and I confirmed I was able to pay in US dollars because my travel credit card had expired and I hadn't received the new one yet. Of course the hotel exchange rate was terrible but not unexpected. I found the hotel corridors to be clean and quiet. My room was spacious and comfortable. There were a variety of channels and languages on the television. I did not try the Internet as I was too tired. I did order room service but there was no menu in the room. I called and someone brought a menu, from which I ordered a salad. The bathroom amenities were nice. Since it was dark I couldn't see the view from my room. The next morning check-out was quick. A taxi was available in front in case it was needed, so no waiting. For the short time I was there, it was a good stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GMTropico, Gerente geral at Pestana Tropico Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind comments. We wish you a great 2014!
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Spacious and modern room and facilities, elegant restaurant, casual bar, outstanding view of the ocean, ok wifi; I was happy to stay here.

The corridor in which my room was located wasn't the cleanest I've seen, I'm afraid. Stained carpet, also a bit malodorous.

Also, not much English spoken here. Spanish will get you farther. Front desk was ok, but elsewhere on the property, I could not comfortably communicate with staff in English. Frustrating. Beautiful city, though, so I should probably learn Portuguese, so I can more enjoy being here next time.

• Stayed November 2013
GMTropico, Gerente geral at Pestana Tropico Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your nice comments concerning our services and facilities. The negative points referred are being solved!
Hoping to welcome you again in the near future, please accept my best regards.
Jorge Xavier
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We travelled to three islands and this was our first. We were a bit concerned reading some of the reviews but pleasantly surprised. We had a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the bay which was huge. it was very quiet and the beds were twins pushed together and the overall width was about 7 feet !! Good bathroom. The restaurant served a nice breakfast and most rooms and the restaurant are built around the pool. No problem with getting a sunbed and unlike previous guests, we had no problems getting towels. Very peaceful for a city hotel. Short distance to both beaches, not the white sands of Sal, but beautiful. Plenty of restaurants nearby, we found the restaurant in the hotel quite expensive and it is far cheaper to eat out. Walked to the lighthouse and climbed to the top (2 euros) . Takes about 15/20 minutes to walk the other direction to the plateau where there are lots of restaurants. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Lovely place to stay a few days.

Room Tip: The pool views are more noisy and not much privacy. We were very happy with the quieter room at the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dorsetsue2
Dear Sir,

In behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for your very nice appreciation of our services.
We wish you a great 2014!

Jorge Xavier - General Manager
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Pestana Trópico Hotel for one week during a business trip to Praia. The hotel is 2 km away from the city center (called Plateau). It is a nice hotel, with well-kept grounds. The service at front desk was inconsistent and it was very difficult to see a smile on the staff face. The majority of guests were on business, although there were a few vacationers too.

Our room had a sea view, without balcony. It was spacious, confortable and renovated. We had good sleep quality during all week. The housekeeping made a good job; our room was clean and odorless. However, there were 2 major problems with the room: very bad lightning and very slow complimentary Wi-Fi, sometimes out of range (our smartphones never connected in-room to the Wi-Fi). The pool view rooms had a balcony, but pay attention because in some of them the balcony is open to the hallway.

The included breakfast was reasonable, with very good bread. We had dinner several days at the restaurant. It was affordable, with good quality and the staff was attentive.

There was a quite fine salt-water swimming pool. Nevertheless, there was no pool service (if you want it, you must ask for it at the nearby bar). Another problem was shortage of fresh pool towels almost everyday at reception.

There was a small beach 2 minutes away (Prainha) and another one, wider, 10 minutes walking (Quebra Canela). Both had dark sand, with warm seawater, but not beautiful spots.

Overall, for us it was a 3 and a half stars hotel, but very nice for Cabo Verde standards. This is for sure the best place to stay in Praia.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms had more privacy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jorgeeantonio
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments towards our hotel and services. I´ve tooked good note of your remarks. We faced a few problems with the complementary wifi, now solved, thankfully. Concerning the shortage of towels, we just bought a few more! The carpet will have to be replaced in 2014...
Once again, many thanks for your visit! We do hope to welcome you again next year.

Have a great 2014!!

Jorge Xavier - GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Praia
Hotel Vip Praia
#2 of 2 in Ribeira Grande
Hotel Santiago
Hotel Santiago
#6 of 11 in Praia

Been to Pestana Tropico Hotel? Share your experiences!