“Not Hilton Quality”
Review of Hilton Yaounde

Hilton Yaounde
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Yaounde
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I have stayed at many Hiltons and can say that this is not what you would expect in a Hilton. Having said that, for Cameroon this is a very nice hotel.

The rooms are nothing special, but are clean and quiet. I found the cleaning staff to be very friendly too.

With respect to the lobby and front desk there is much that could be done to improve the service. Check in was slow, and at check out I was told I could not have a copy of my bill because my company paid for it...yet my company asked me for one! I was also able to change money there the first night, but for some reason the person working the second night said I couldn't.

The food is ok, but way overpriced. More so than when I was in Chad the following week, which is ridiculous.

I am not sure what the other hotels are like in Yaoundé, but based on the service alone I would say to at least consider your other options.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Canuck72
There are newer reviews for Hilton Yaounde

Reviewed December 21, 2009

first the good points : tv choice, lots of french and english channels, safe in the room,staff is good and polite and the food is really good
bad points : air con not working. my colleagues told me the same. so impossible to get rid of moisture. internet is not free in the room which should be standard now in good hotels.
I also asked some change at the front desk to give some tips : impossible! i couldnt break my 5000 CFA note (about 12US$) not practical. If we choose Hilton it is to have some facilities like this
I have asked for a king size bedroom but was told when checking in that it was no King size room available so i got a twin bed room. the beds are good but ridiculously small!

all together this is a very good hotel for Cameroon but do not meet Hilton worldwide standard

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank JMX2016
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I just returned from a four night/five day stay at the Hilton Yaounde for business.

The hotel amentities in general were pretty good - from the restaurant/buffet, lobby bar, 8th floor executive lounge and 11th floor bar, there were several places to meet throughout the hotel. I didn't use the pool, but understand that it closed early. The exercise room, much to my disappointment, closed every night at 9pm and was secluded away in a dark room in the basement. Since the exercise room closed so early, and I was working until 10pm every night - I used the 11th floor Bar Panoramique as a place to decompress and wrap up the day. The live music that they have there on Friday and Saturday is good.

The food was good at the main restaurant (almost always a buffet) - but very overpriced. Lunch usually cost more than US $30, if I remember correctly, before water/drinks. If you get sick of the buffet - go to the 11th floor bar and order from their menu (albeit limited).

The room could use some improvement/upgrading - stained carpet, bathroom not up to business class standards (not as nice as Le Meridien in Douala, for example). Bottled water was not available - the mini-bar was locked for the first 3.5 days that I was there. Fortunately, I packed some bottled water of my own to use for brushing teeth, etc. The view was nice from the room, however. I was on the 2nd floor. The internet connection (other than the fact that we had to pay for it every day) - was fast and efficient. My room was usually cleaned by lunch every day - which was nice if I needed to get back to do some work before afternoon meetings.

Staff was extremely helpful and friendly, most especially the staff in the bars and restaurants - even if not related to to ordering food and drinks. Without asking, one of the waitresses noticed I was looking for an electrical outlet and directed me and the rest of my party to some tables that were near outlets.

If you are mainly meeting with government officials - this is a well placed hotel in the heart of the government district.

In general, although the hotel could use some significant upgrades/renovations, it was a pleasant, safe and productive stay with little inconvenience (other than the water). Also - the rate here was only about 65% of what they charged us at Le Meridien in Douala, 84000 CFA per night (compared to 124000 at Le Meridien).

PS - Be sure to print anything you need in advance of your trip. The business center rates for printing are absurd.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I have, due the nature of my work, stayed in many 5 star rated hotels in the last few years worldwide but this one is DEFINATELY NOT 5 STAR. On arrival I felt I was being pushed to fill in a form to become a loyal member of the Hilton Group which i said I would consider but not be pushed into. The whole feeling you get in this hotel is like something from the 70's or 80's with a tired and shaggy look. I had to insist on having drinking water bottles put in my room even though the water came out a brown colour from the taps, the mini bar was locked on my arrival and noone mentioned this or offered to unlock it, my bedroom was not clean as the carpet had not seen a hoover for quite some time and the bathroom had the feeling of peeling walls, slimey plastic shower curtain over the small bath and soggy tile joints. Admittely I don't have the best digestion system but on my second evening there, having had a room service meal a few hours earlier, I spent several hours being violently ill. Reception is slow, uninformative and their answers are random to their moods. I was told that I had to change Euros to local money to pay for the return airport tax but when I got to the airport I could have paid in Euros and would not have been left with useless spare local coins because I had to change the only Euros note I had which was bigger than the amount required in local money. When I pointed out to the manager that this was not a 5 star hotel in more ways than one I was promptly told that I was in a poor country so what should I expect? My answer was that having been to 5 star hotels Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippinnes, amoungst others, I knew exactly what to expect.....................No reply! The business centre staff look really bored, make you feel as though you are a nuissance and certainly don't expect even a twinkle of a smile from them. In conclusion, expect an average 3 star hotel at a very high 5 star price and perhaps you will not be disappointed! A plus point is that some of the staff are very well trained but not all (although I think they do try) and one of them, when he found out I wasn't well, even offered to go to the Air France office and check me in for my flight, which he did!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank matnurse
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Having come from Douala the hotel was a slight improvement. Rooms still need remodelling. Service was acceptable, if only I could speak french.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed in a standard room at the Hotel. The rooms are good and I enjoyed my stay. I, however, noted two things that I think could be improved in the future. (1) Internet access has to be paid for, while I thought it would be provided free for people staying in the hotel (2) There was no free drinking water bottles in the room to use for brushing teeth etc. I was informed that one had to buy them.They are however provided free to members or frequent customers. In my country water bottles are provided free in hotels of even much lower status than the Hilton hotels.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Muberwa
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton for the most part. The pool is beautiful with a fountain, the food was great and the staff was very professional. Lots of services in the hotel, a good sized fitness center, sauna (men's steam room was down for maintenance), treadmills etc. Used the business center, but high-speed internet time was a little pricey at 3000/6000CFA for 30/60 minutes.

On the bad side, the room was a little moldy but not too bad. Water in the bathroom ran rusty brown for two seconds when I started the bath. During the work week, they were replacing the roof which was a little noisy during the time I slept during the day.

• Stayed: February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MassimoCambridge