“Best Hotel In The City” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Yaounde
Chandigarh, India
“Best Hotel In The City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hilton is the the only Hotel in Yaounde City, rest all are just a place to spend a night (read not very comfortable). Although very highly priced and almost double to the next avaliable 'decent' hotel in the city but if one can afford it is a place to stay and enjoy the hospitality of bilingual staff. Being the only branded and the biggest hotel in Yaounde its lobby is always full and parking space for you car is rarely avaliable (though basement parking is at disposal).
Rooms: Highly comfortable with soft beds and great view from Balcony.
Bathrooms: Decent
Gym: OK
Swimming Pool: Decent
Resturants: Good but costly
Bar: nothing great but fine place to chill after a days work.

I have always stayed in Hilton whenever in Yaounde and always got best of the treatment form the staff. Shall highly recommend to fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Avoid Buffet Breakfast as it is very costly, if u have time then try Acropole (check spelling) baker...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Samrat W
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me start by thanking you for your positive evaluation of our hotel on Trip Advisor.
Your constructive feedback is very much appreciated and extremely valuable for us to improve our service in the future. I may assure you that your positive comments about the team will be shared accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to the capital city of Cameroon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Coming here was a great relief after one night spent in a cheaper and far shabbier hotel in Yaounde. Though expensive, the room was vast, clean, and had a nice balcony. Service was friendly, and room service delivery was well within the 15-20 minutes they announced. The hotel has a large, well equipped gym and nice pool. There are several eateries. The buffet was expensive but varied - and they did offer an option for all meals of only choosing the salad bar, or continental buffet offerings at a reduced price. For a light eater like me, this was ideal. Also the pizzas and salads in the restaurant by the pool were fresh and delicious. As we had to spend most of our time in meeting rooms, it was a pleasure to eat outside.
On the down side: considering the price of the rooms, you would expect free wifi access, but it is fairly pricey, instead, and not totally reliable. The hotel has no lobby. There is a small cafe by the entrance, which serves good coffee, but it is the only place to sit if you are waiting for colleagues or a taxi. The business office is a bit cramped, and you have to purchase expensive wifi access cards that last only 30 minutes. If you need toothpaste or such, there is no shop on the premises, but there are stores and a small supermarket within a block of the hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marielle A, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to share your experience via Tripadvisor.

We may assure you that your comments are highly valued and help us to keep on improving our services.

we were very pleased to read your positive comments about the hotel services, food and facilities.

We haved also noted your remarks concerning the lobby, the accesss to the wifi.

We fully understand your frustration regarding internet and may assure you that a new system is being worked on and will be implemented in the near future. Our new internet offer will include free wireless access in the public areas and of course Wifi access from the rooms.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Marielle Pountie
Guest Relations Officer
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Hilton is, unfortunately, the best hotel in Yaounde. It could be world class, but falls far short. Rooms need to be refreshed and beds replaced. Current chef inherited an average kitchen and has taken it down a couple of notches. Staff were helpful and friendly. This has not always been the case. So, kudos on the customer service. Now, get new mattresses and some bathtubs that are not stained.

Room Tip: for a quiet room, ask for a MINFIN view. To see Avenue 20th of May and have a view of the hills, as...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for sharing your experience via Tripadvisor.

I was really concerned to read your comments about our facilities and let me apologize personally for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay.

I may assure you that corrective actions are taken to improve our rooms and bathrooms. Our Executive floor will be fully refurbished during upcoming summer period including new bathtubs. I would appreciate if you could let me know in which room you stayed in order to check the mattress condition? For your information, all our mattresses have been replaced end of 2009 by the Hilton standards ones.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future and do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance.

Hilton Yaounde
gregory.thierion@hilton.com
Maryland, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

As discussed in previous reviews, the Hilton remains the best option for Yaounde. I had two different rooms at the Hilton (while coming and going from Cameroon), and both were roughly the same. Nice view, decent size, good bathroom, comfortable bed and access to CNN. Nothing terribly fancy, but perfectly serviceable. I know that the hotel is attempting to fix the wifi, but during my stay, I could not get reliable wifi in my room (though it worked on my balcony) despite paying the charge.

The hotel buffet was very nice (had both breakfast and lunch there). We found the front desk staff to be very helpful, and they arranged an excellent reception/buffet for our delegation on the top floor in the lounge. Unfortunately, a prearranged breakfast "to go" for the delegation never materialized. The Hilton Yaounde is not equivalent to a Hilton in a major American city, but it is a good option.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Let me take this oppotunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for sharing your experience via Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read your overall positive comments about the hotel and facilities.

I fully understand your frustration regarding internet and may assure you that a new system is being worked on and will be implemented in the near future. Our new internet offer will include free wireless access in the public areas and of course Wifi access from the rooms.

Let me apologize personaly for the inconvenience you encountered with your take away breakfast upon departure. I may assure you that corrective actions are taken avoid any reoccurence in the future.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Vacoas, Mauritius
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. Faced two major problems - I took a quick shower during the day and found to my surprise that there were no towels available in the room though it had been made up. ON checking out, my visa card could not be accepted because I had apparently crossed my credit limit. The next day the same card was used in Nairobi without any hassles. I fortunately had a friend with some cash so that I could exit the hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guest,

I was really concerned to read that our services did not meet your expectations.
I fully understand your frustration regarding the lack of towels in your bathroom and the payment issue. I may assure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid such inconveniences in the future.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde and would appreciate if you could contact me directly for any future reservation.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

every thing was clean and in order in the room at the price offered the internet should be free. the entrance and lobby are always crowded with official protocols. not surprising as this is the most prestigious hotel in the country and probably the only decent place to host dignitaries.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Marielle A, Guest Relation Officer at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Mulumba Mbiya B,

We were pleased to read your positive comments about the hotel and assure you that we will share them with our team.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Marielle POUNTIE
Guest Relation Officer
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is head and shoulders above anything else that is available in Yaounde but at a price. At more than $400 a night it really needs to be so when you experience poor customer service when checking in, it does not bode well for your stay. If you have stayed at other Hilton hotels, then you will be no doubt accustomed to an extremely high level of service and attentiveness.

After our difficulties checking in at 2pm, I had a bit of a conversation with the receptionist who agreed to a late check-out as compensation for making us all wait around for ages. So I guess the initial malaise was cancelled out by the gesture of goodwill.

The facilities are excellent - an amazing gym and a great pool. I took advantage of the massage service which was just about average but not at a price that would break the bank. Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased to read your positive comments about the hotel services and facilities despite your initial negative experience upon checking in. I may assure you that your comments are highly valued and help us to keep on improving our services.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.