“I guess if you're staying here, you've no other choice.”
Review of Hilton Yaounde

Hilton Yaounde
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Yaounde
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I'm sure you can do worse in Yaoundé, but still.... This Hilton is much more Paris Hilton than Conrad Hilton. Flashy, pointless, and kind of gross. The front desk staff seemed dodgy moved in geological time and weren't even very nice. Restaurant staff seemed half asleep and terribly confused when asking about taking a coffee to a conference room.

Rooms were clean and big enough, which is the best I can say about this place.

If you have to go to Yaoundé, you're not having very good luck anyway. I'm sure there are worse places to stay, but it's irritating to pay Hilton prices for youth hostel service.

Room Tip: You could try another country. Try to get a room near the lift, then you don't have to navigate...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Marielle A, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for sharing your experience via Tripadvisor.

I was really concerned to read that some of our facilities and services did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.

I fully understand your frustration regarding our staff attitude (Front Desk and restaurant staff) . We will share your comments with all of them and may ensure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situation.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Marielle Andela
Guest Relation Officer.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Good (but overpriced) business hotel however lacking basic comfort (wifi, clean towels etc). Food and breakfast are good although quite expansive.
The swimming pool is a real advantage. Service is average.
The shuttle to/from the airport is very convenient although in the way in there is a very long wait (as there is only one shuttle, and the driver does do have the list of passengers going to the Hilton, the driver waits for all passengers to go out before leaving- meaning that if you go out quickly you will have a minimum one hour wait)...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

I fully understand your frustration regarding internet and may assure you that a Hilton is working on a new offer which should be implemented in a few months. Free internet in all the public areas, a connectivity station available free of charge in the lobby and a new wireless access in the rooms will be available.

Regarding prices, we may offer packages including breakfast upon request. Our reservation department will be pleased to assist you for any future request.

I took good notice of your comment about the shuttle service and may ensure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situation.

Let me thank you again for your constructive remarks and i look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Overpriced hotel in the center of Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon. For over US$ 300, with taxes, per night, not even a free breakfast and Internet are included; a shame. I have been in much better hotels around the world with prices being a fraction of this one and the buffet breakfast and fast Internet were included. A good example is Clarion Hotel in Stockholm, where I enjoyed a wonderful stay with gigantic buffer breakfast for 2/3 of this price.
I have found pubic hairs in my bead sheets... wake up managers!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for sharing your experience with me via Tripadvisor.

I was really concerned to read that our facilities and services did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.

I fully understand your frustration regarding internet and may assure you that a new offer will be implemented early 2013. Free internet in all the public areas, a connectivity station available free of charge in the lobby and a new wireless access in the rooms will be available.

I took good notice of your comment about room cleanliness and may ensure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situation.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Word is this is the best hotel in Yaounde but I have my doubts. I stayed here on a business trip. The staff were very pleasant. The rooms were very average compared to what one would expect of the Hilton brand. The bath tubs had brown stains on them which appeared permanent. The beds though were very comfortable. The mattress and beddings made sleep quality excellent. There was no wifi in the rooms. The only option is to connect to a LAN cable. Internet is extremely expensive and is not part of the room package. Also water is not part of the room package. You need water, you buy it. My suggestion would to be add Internet connectivity and daily water provision to the room charges. Any client would be happier with that.

The gym is the part I enjoyed most. It's is well equipped with the latest equipment such as treadmills, cross trainers, etc. It opens at 6am which allows one to have a good workout before settling into the business of the day.

The location of the hotel is also excellent being at the centre of Yaounde. There is a bureau de change at the ground floor which makes it easy to change currency. There are also various shops in the shopping arcade which is very convenient.

The meeting rooms are excellent but service for the meetings is wanting. On day one of our meeting, during the 10am coffee break, we expected both tea and coffee served. We only found tea and no coffee. On enquiring, we were informed that coffee did not order coffee. Back where I come from, these go together. So we had to go all the way the banqueting office to recheck the contract which we had signed with the hotel and confirmed that we had indeed ordered coffee. By at time the break was over.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your stay at the Hilton Yaounde.

I was pleased to read that you were globally satisfied by the hotel facilities and especially your positive remarks about our Fitness center and the hotel employees.

I fully understand your frustration regarding the rooms and the internet connection. I may assure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid such inconveniences.

Regarding internet, a new system will be offered by the end of the first quarter 2013 including Wireless access from the rooms, a free connectivity station in the hotel lobby and wireless free of charge in all the public areas.

Let me apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your coffee break. Your comment will be shared with the team as we always serve both coffee and tea for the breaks.

I hope you will give us a second chance to show our best and look forward to welcoming you personally at the Hilton Yaounde.

Meanwhile, I remain available at your convenience for any further assistance

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days while on a business trip in Yaounde in November and can gladly recommend the hotel. It is pricey, but well worth the money I think - service is excellent, and amenities provided are good. The hotel is well situated in the city center. The staff is very friendly and service-oriented, which is a bonus. The room was big and comfortable, very clean and the turn-down service was an additional perk. Bathroom is big and has a hair dryer, water pressure is good. Internet connection is probably the only slightly annoying thing; it works, but the speed is not great, I got work done but had trouble particularly with skype connection. Breakfast buffet is again pricey but I enjoyed it - nice range of food items, fresh fruit and bread and pastries plus a full warm buffet of local delicacies as well! Hotel has a free shuttle to the airport, but did not use it. Pool area is nice for relaxing on the weekend. They will store your luggage for you if need be - I left mine for a couple of days while on a trip to another part of the country and had no problems. For business travel, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to share your experience via Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our facilities.

I fully understand your frustration regarding the internet connection and may assure you that the Hilton group is actually working on a new offer. A connectivity station will be implemented in the hotel lobby with free access for our resident guests as well as free wireless access in our public areas. This new offer is planned by end of first quarter 2013.

Let me thank you for your loyalty and I look forward to welcoming you once more to the Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Meanwhile, I remain available at your convenience for any further assistance

Reviewed December 10, 2012

April 2011 it rained daily and not much to do as pool was closed during rains. August 2011 more rains and not much to do except get starred at by idlers at the reception bar. Both times my rooms were immaculate due to renovations. Good selection on cable. Staff complained about their lack of contracts with the hotel. Front desk was helpful although limited selection of languages spoken. The business centre is expensive and spent over 200.00 Fcfa for Internet cards and spent at least one of my two hours trying to log on. Again staff needs to speak more than French as Hilton is an international hotel. Keyboards are of course in French. Security is poor as numerous times had to go through pool then up elevator by garage to avoid idlers at front entrance. Used their pool and spa???? Or sauna facilities for $30.00 per day in November 2012 to shower etc as no water in yaounde. Overall, rooms were clean, comfortable sheets, and staff friendly and helpful. Needs more improvement in terms of entertainment & free wifi in the rooms. Thank God for my orange cle

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside facing the PM's office or Finance ministry are quieter

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for sharing your experience with us via Tripadvisor.

I agree with your comment regarding the weather and it is true that rainy season is usually very long in Cameroon.

Regarding internet, a new offer will be implemented early 2013, with free internet in all the public areas, a connectivity station available free of charge in the lobby and a new wireless access in the rooms.

I took good notice of your comment regarding security and may ensure you that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situation.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is expensive, tired, the service is erratic - although the staff are charming. The worst feature, ir should I say non-feature is the absence of wi fi in the rooms, and the outrageous charge for use in the public areas. As the hotel is in the business area it would be reasonable to assume that guests want to work in their rooms, which have a very convenient desk. But, the provision of inadequate, expensive Internet service sums up the hotel management approach - customers do not matter.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaoundé and for taking the time to share your experience via Tripadvisor.

I am really concerned to hear that our services and facilities did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.

I fully understand your frustration regarding internet and may assure you that we are working on improving this service in the near future. Wireless internet access will be implemented in the guestrooms, a new connectivity station will be located in the lobby area and free of charge for our resident guests and wireless access will be free as well in all public areas. This new system is planned for installation during first quarter 2013.

I hope you will give us a second chance to show our best in the near future and would appreciate if you could contact me directly for any reservation.

I remain available at your convenience and do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance